Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

Passport photo-(

(12 Posts)
tralaaa Wed 21-Mar-18 07:08:15

I need a new passport, doing this on line but I didn't realise how awful I look in a passport photo - I look in the mirror look normal for me! Take the photo not smiling With a white background and I look awful any tips I don't know why this bothers me but it does, and tips please

Damia Wed 21-Mar-18 07:24:17

Where did you get the photo done? You could try one of those ones that you actually have to sit for a guy with a camera. I assume they are generally better though more expensive than a booth. No one looks that great not smiling with a pale face in white background though. Many passport pics look a mess. Just one of those things.

GuinefortGrey Wed 21-Mar-18 07:28:04

I did the same thing very recently and was equally appalled by my photo attempts! However, by taking lots of photos in different rooms (with the windows/light in different positions) I was amazed how much better I looked in some
photos than others. The lighting makes a massive difference! The best photo in the end was one taken in an upstairs bathroom where the window is directly opposite the wall in front of which I was standing (so directly behind the camera). Also, I took the photo myself with my phone in selfie mode. This meant I had more control over the "staging" of the photo and could adjust my facial expression/hair as many times as I liked before pressing the button! Just make sure your arm holding phone is not visible in the photo smile.

This all sounds like I am awfully vain and I'm not at all! Just it's been ten years since my last passport photo and I was absolutely appalled by my initial attempts at how much and how badly I had aged since my last one. I eventually got one I was happy with, uploaded it and it passed the computer checks and was accepted. My new passport arrived 6 days later. I was extremely impressed with the online service.

dementedpixie Wed 21-Mar-18 07:30:12

I think when you do it online You can upload your own photo with a phone/ tablet. They never look good tbh. Could you get someone else to take the picture for you after doing your hair/face?

tralaaa Wed 21-Mar-18 07:32:52

Thank you ladies will try again in the bathroom I know it sounds vain I got a good nights sleep and will try again I know it's vain but it has deflated me a bit

reachforthewine Wed 21-Mar-18 08:45:15

My passport picture is horrific too.

tralaaa Wed 21-Mar-18 09:41:46

Well I think I've got one half decent but from now on I'm walking about with a paper bag on my head - vast improvement

grumpymummy72 Wed 21-Mar-18 19:54:12

I had to sweep my fringe over to one side to avoid covering one eye so apparently I now look rather Hitler-esque in mine. Shadow under nose didn't help either.

Fekko Wed 21-Mar-18 19:55:30

I believe the price of passports is going up next week!

mixture Thu 22-Mar-18 17:22:39

I look awful in mine too, it's pretty much a mug shot with me staring into the camera lens. But one has to remember that its more or less sole and primary purpose is to let you back into the country if you've been abroad, and if the picture does achieve it, it's a good picture.

Fekko Thu 22-Mar-18 17:23:53

Mine is of some fat old bag. No idea who she is.

frasier Thu 22-Mar-18 18:31:03

If it's any consolation the one time I had a decent passport picture it caused umpteen problems by not looking like me at all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: