Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

How do I tell DH?

(114 Posts)
rosebudded Sun 25-Feb-18 18:50:10

I was asked by telephone this morning to be godparent of my distant cousin. We live 500 miles apart but meet up for holidays a couple of times a year. She called just as I was parking up at a shopping centre and the signal wasn't great but I agreed. I told my husband who was sat next to me that we had been asked to be godparents and he was chuffed to be asked. I've just had a conversation with my cousin on the landline and asked who else was being godparents and she didn't say DH! I really didn't know what to say so just went along. My DH will feel left out. I don't have the heart to tell him. I've just text my cousin to ask if he could be godparent to! I feel cheeky as F but I know how hurt he would feel. I haven't had a reply yet. Have I done the right thing?

AgentProvocateur Sun 25-Feb-18 18:58:25

Is it normal to have a couple as godparents? I’ve only been to two christenings and the godmother and godfather were from different sides of the family. I didn’t have my children christened so I genuinely don’t know. I do think it’s cheeky of you to have asked. Your husband is presumably an adult and could put his disappointment aside.

rosebudded Sun 25-Feb-18 19:00:23

We were godparents 15 years ago and the others were all couples to, I thought that's how it worked!

Theshittyendofthestick Sun 25-Feb-18 19:00:55

Yep. That was unreasonable to ask. It's entirely up to them who they choose

Haudyerwheesht Sun 25-Feb-18 19:01:39

I can’t believe you asked if dh could be godparent tbh

Roussette Sun 25-Feb-18 19:02:13

I've never known a husband and wife be godparents, ever! Why would both of you want to be? Surely one of you being godparent is enough

NapQueen Sun 25-Feb-18 19:04:44

She asked you to be a godparent. Not both of you. How odd that you would assume!

Allthebestnamesareused Sun 25-Feb-18 19:04:57

You are the C.F. Your poor cousin has been out in a difficult position and will probably start her own thread. Call her to apologise immediately

Gitfeatures Sun 25-Feb-18 19:05:07

Rather than have a mildly awkward conversation with your DH, you've put your cousin in an exceptionally awkward position.
I'm not surprised she hasn't replied - she's probably composing an AIBU? post as we speak.

Florin Sun 25-Feb-18 19:05:08

Yes unreasonable, it’s really unusual for couples to be asked together, she will probably now feel in a really awkward position.

AnyFucker Sun 25-Feb-18 19:08:48

I think your cousin understands that if you (by dint of a tragedy) have to step into the role of parenting your godchild then you come as a couple so he will automatically be included

You do understand what being a godparent entails, right ? It's not just an excuse to stand in the front row of the church smile

stikessecretlover99 Sun 25-Feb-18 19:09:18

my dh and I have seperate godchildren. Unusual for a couple amoungst my family and friends.
Bit off to ask, as puts parents on spot.

FitBitFanClub Sun 25-Feb-18 19:13:43

Godparents aren't guardians, so there is no expectation of having to step in in the event of the parents' deaths.

bluesouper Sun 25-Feb-18 19:14:40

I think you should text your cousin again apologising for being a CF.

juddyrockingcloggs Sun 25-Feb-18 19:15:27

Can I ask why would he be hurt? Is he usually over sensitive about simple things? I think you have put them in such an awkward position now over absolutely nothing.

Chienrouge Sun 25-Feb-18 19:15:38

I’m a bit shock that you asked if he could be godparent too. I’d have just said ‘oops, I misunderstood, it’s just me’.
I am a godmother 3x over and DH isn’t godfather to any of the same children. He is godfather to one, I’m not godmother.

SunnySeaShell Sun 25-Feb-18 19:17:46

Oh no OP, faux pas I'm afraid! Couples aren't usually God Parents!

lorelairoryemily Sun 25-Feb-18 19:28:36

I can't believe you actually did that. You really need to apologise to her and tell your DH it's just you. And maybe learn to listen!grin

NapQueen Sun 25-Feb-18 19:29:11

Is this a reverse?

EllieMe Sun 25-Feb-18 19:30:35

Very rude of you to ask. What on earth were you thinking? Text her and apologise and take it back.

frasier Sun 25-Feb-18 19:33:54

We have 2 godfathers and 1 godmother if a boy and 2 godmothers and 1 godfather if a girl. Is the child a girl? Are you the other godmother?

WowIFreelStrange Sun 25-Feb-18 19:34:45

Fuck it.. the damage is done. You might as well sit back and keep us updated on replies now grin

frasier Sun 25-Feb-18 19:34:55

Bit of a hijack, why do some posters ask "is this a reverse" on threads over and over? What do they mean?!

PurpleDaisies Sun 25-Feb-18 19:37:09

I've never known a husband and wife be godparents, ever

Really? It’s absolutely standard amongst the churches I’ve been part of. Dh and I are godparents to two children.

I don’t think you were right to text your cousin though. It puts her in an awful position.

frasier Sun 25-Feb-18 19:39:15

I missed the part where you asked if your DH could be a godparent. I thought, as the title was "How do I tell DH" that you wanted to know how to tell me he wasn't a godparent.

You have put your relative in an awful position. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now