Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

Police record? Do you have anything at all?

(32 Posts)
Skyatnightbright Wed 14-Feb-18 21:19:58

Is there anyone in a professional/semi professional job who has anything on their police record?

e.g
Reprimand
Caution
Conviction

Maybe for unpaid fines or being silly in youth.

PositivelyPERF Wed 14-Feb-18 21:23:21

Why do you ask? Do you have something in your past?

CotswoldStrife Wed 14-Feb-18 21:23:33

No.

In my previous role as someone who worked in HR though, I have known stuff that has appeared on background checks. How the person involved thought they would get away with it is a mystery.

If you have a particular career in mind then check first! If it is a professional career then they are likely to have a registratory body that you can speak to.

Skyatnightbright Wed 14-Feb-18 21:25:19

I have a reprimand from when I was 16blush

Skyatnightbright Wed 14-Feb-18 21:36:32

I'm worried I won't get into the career I want due to having that on my record.

sourpatchkid Wed 14-Feb-18 21:39:54

I'm a senior mental health professional and short list for jobs. As long as the offence isn't violence against a person it doesn't stop me offering someone an interview and I wouldn't judge them for it either. Depends on the job I guess?

Skyatnightbright Wed 14-Feb-18 21:44:01

It's teaching. The reprimand was for walking out a shop with an eyeliner. I didn't realise I had it in my hand (obviously they won't believe me).

Skyatnightbright Wed 14-Feb-18 21:45:59

It just says reprimand for shoplifting on my record. It doesn't go into detail.

ilovechocolates Wed 14-Feb-18 21:48:51

I recruit as part of my role. It depends on whether you've shown remorse to me, and been open about it. It also depends on how long ago it was, and what it was for

The one I withdrew the offer was because she had hidden it, not declared it- appears to make you dishonest. The one I continued to appoint had declared it throughout, had a reason why it happened, ie fell off the rails due to personal circumstances, and was remourseful. Also told me what he had learnt from the situation.

Skyatnightbright Wed 14-Feb-18 21:49:09

If was 15 years ago and I was 16 but it's still on my recordsad

ilovechocolates Wed 14-Feb-18 21:56:35

It really depends on the context which it's set in.

Why did u walk out,:
did u forget?
Did u mean to?
Did u have any stress at that time?

And also, do u pose a threat. As a teacher you'd be with children so as an employer, I'd need to be reassured that you're safe and not going to bring teaching into disrepute.

U don't need answer the above questions but that's potentially what the recruiter will be thinking about.

Teaching has a state registration body, contact them and ask them if it's an automatic grounds for refusal. Also ask your local university

sourpatchkid Wed 14-Feb-18 22:02:33

As I've said I'm not in teaching but this wouldn't bother me at all but yes I would contact the teaching body and ask them directly

Good luck!

Skyatnightbright Wed 14-Feb-18 22:03:14

The thing is it was a genuine accident. I had it in my hand after looking around and walked out the shop. The owner called me back and called the police.
I feel like if explained this at a interview I would come across as covering it up and be dishonest or making an excuse for shoplifting.

Skyatnightbright Wed 14-Feb-18 22:04:12

Thank you @sourpatchkid

Dahliadahliaa Wed 14-Feb-18 22:13:44

I had a caution and now work in law.

Don't think you have anything to worry about especially as you were under 18 at the time, in fact I'm surprised it still shows on your record.

CotswoldStrife Wed 14-Feb-18 22:17:41

It would show up on any check as a teacher would have an extended DRB (or whatever they are called ATM) check, so you do need to check with the teaching union or similar before undertaking any training - I'd imagine any training provider would also undertake such a check before letting you into a classroom.

Knittedfairies Wed 14-Feb-18 22:24:48

www.teachers.org.uk/sites/default/files2014/ecr31-dbs-checks.doc

InvisibleUnicorn Wed 14-Feb-18 22:25:25

I wouldn't go into detail at all, but do just disclose it.

It almost certainly won't count against you, but what will almost certainly count against you is if you don't declare it.

Skyatnightbright Wed 14-Feb-18 23:08:27

Thank you all. I feel abit more positive about it now.

@Knittedfairies that's interesting. It says from 2013 any old minor offences will not show up on a police certificate check. Is that correct?

Skyatnightbright Wed 14-Feb-18 23:28:57

@Knittedfairies thank you so much. I've just had a Google and it says since 2013 they use what is called a filtering system that no longer shows old reprimand or cautions on any level CRB check. So it should not show up (fingers crossed).

Skyatnightbright Wed 14-Feb-18 23:30:01

Unless it involves violence or drugs then it will show up.

ew1990 Wed 14-Feb-18 23:32:04

@Skyatnightbright I've got a caution for handling stolen goods when I was 14, someone stole some cigs and money from someone's house and because they gave me some I got arrested, I'm now 27 and went for a job at the hospital last year, it shown up on dbs check but I mentioned it in the application and the interview and explained, I got offered a better job, they said because I disclosed it it doesn't matter, if I wouldn't have mentioned it I wouldn't have got the job

Skyatnightbright Thu 15-Feb-18 00:04:20

@ew1990 last year? I wonder what the filtering system is thenconfused

ew1990 Thu 15-Feb-18 01:08:10

Yeah, it's not even under spent convictions like it should have been after 4 years, luckily it happened like 13 years ago and just a daft teenage mistake which they understood

Mycarsmellsoflavender Thu 15-Feb-18 08:03:43

I was under the impression that cautions were wiped from your record after 5 years. Don't know where I got that from though.

DH had a caution about 20 years ago for possession of cannabis. He's a scientist and it doesn't seem to have ever affected his job prospects.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now