Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

My DS is a danger to himself

(19 Posts)
shitarsedickanus Wed 14-Feb-18 10:47:50

He is an adult. He has special needs (autism.) Inexplicably these seem to be getting worse hmm

He has no idea where he is, the year or the time or the place. I have had to take time off from work to try and sort this as he keeps being found in odd places half dressed and shouting. He ends up in hospital, prowls around yelling, is released and then the pattern starts again.

My house is trashed because of him. He keeps driving which is a worry.

Yet sometimes he is fairly lucid and fine - eccentric, still autustic, but OK.

I don't know what to do.

StormTreader Wed 14-Feb-18 10:50:15

Sounds like he needs to be assessed if things are getting worse - just because he has autism, that doesnt mean he cant also have something else going on.

shitarsedickanus Wed 14-Feb-18 10:51:33

Thanks Storm

Do you mean assessed for MH? I have wondered about schizophrenia.

But he refuses to engage.

TheEmmaDilemma Wed 14-Feb-18 11:00:25

He needs a MH assesment yes, and quickly.

shitarsedickanus Wed 14-Feb-18 11:01:47

It would be impossible to get him to agree to one, though. Plus, half the time he is fine.

youarenotkiddingme Wed 14-Feb-18 11:12:25

If he is a danger to himself (and others? - driving for example) then he can be sectioned and have a MH Assessment. Have you asked about when it becomes something he needs to have rather than something he has to voluntarily agree to?

youarenotkiddingme Wed 14-Feb-18 11:13:34

Sorry that sounded quite cold and factual - MH ds has autism so used to just having to get on and say it as it is and deal with it

thanks

shitarsedickanus Wed 14-Feb-18 11:14:42

Yes. On one occasion he failed the capacity test but refused to move. They didn't want to get the police so left him. On another occasion he passed the test even though he was clearly batshit so they let him home.

I obviously can't throw him out but i can't live like this either.

Abitlost2015 Wed 14-Feb-18 11:14:43

Echoing what others have said, if he is in hospital again do not agree to discharge until assessed properly. Also- has his medication changed? Has he stopped it?

shitarsedickanus Wed 14-Feb-18 11:18:04

But it isn't up to me whether he is discharged or not. He is an adult so itbis his decision. Apparently!

NoSquirrels Wed 14-Feb-18 11:21:50

I know it is absolutely counter to what you feel, but because your home (a safe place with someone to be ‘responsible’) is available, it’s easier for them to discharge him.

Can you have a very clear conversation with MH services about what you need to do/day to get him the help he needs?

shitarsedickanus Wed 14-Feb-18 11:28:54

I don't know where to start squirrels because he just won't engage. He trashed the house this morning but says he was ok just having a bad dream?

Blackteadrinker77 Wed 14-Feb-18 11:32:23

Have you spoken to the national autism society?

They offer advice and support around assisted living.

NoSquirrels Wed 14-Feb-18 11:37:04

You need support as much as your son does.

Whilst you don’t make a fuss that’s he’s living with you and trashing your house, then as unfortunate as it is, the “authorities” will divert their resources to all the other people and cases in more “dire need”. Your son has a roof over his head and a carer.

So, as unpalatable ad it is, you need to consider not being “available” as backstop. So can you go to your GP as a starting point, and say how much this situation is affecting you? Do you have any contacts in adult social services, community mental health workers etc?

shitarsedickanus Wed 14-Feb-18 11:39:13

Problem is, DS has never accepted his autism, or that he is in any way different.

Even if the help was offered he would never take it.

NoSquirrels Wed 14-Feb-18 11:48:04

But you can withdraw your support, which means he’d need help from somewhere.

How old is your DS - young adult or older?

shitarsedickanus Wed 14-Feb-18 12:07:51

He would end up on the street squirrels

NoSquirrels Wed 14-Feb-18 12:12:29

But the threat of him ending up on the street means you’d be able to access support he currently can’t, that’s what I’m trying to get at.

I’m so sorry it’s so tough flowers

shitarsedickanus Wed 14-Feb-18 12:29:05

It isn't that simple. I know it is just impossible and I don't think there is anything that can be done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now