Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

Is this a thing? Or did I dream it!

(19 Posts)
Rainiswet Tue 13-Feb-18 21:56:49

Heads down thumbs up.

I asked the fam if they wanted to play it the other day and I was met with blank faces. Please can someone confirm if this was indeed a game at primary school
Or a game in my dreams confused

SureIusedtobetaller Tue 13-Feb-18 21:58:11

Still play it in class sometimes. The children love it!

glasshalfsomething Tue 13-Feb-18 21:58:17

Yip! Played at the end of the school day. Looking back, I guess it was a teachers way of getting 5 minutes peace and quiet?

pinkpeter Tue 13-Feb-18 21:58:33

They do it at my dc school. At the end of the day.

soupforbrains Tue 13-Feb-18 21:59:35

We used to do it at school sometimes although I don't remember how it works and tbh... I'm not sure I ever did. But I did enjoy the opportunity for a snooze/daydream.

OneWildNightWithJBJ Tue 13-Feb-18 22:00:20

Definitely! I played it in the '80s and played it with my classes about 10 years ago. It's a good time filler at the end of the day!

Rainiswet Tue 13-Feb-18 22:00:21

Thank you. Glad to know I am not going mad. I need to educate my family grin

BrazzleDazzleDay Tue 13-Feb-18 22:01:13

My dd's teacher still plays it. I loved that game.

Llamallann Tue 13-Feb-18 22:38:06

Are your whole family broken? Do not let them make you think you made this up! grin

SillyLittleBiscuit Wed 14-Feb-18 11:20:31

Loved heads down, thumbs up!

Chienrouge Wed 14-Feb-18 11:22:11

Yes, we used to play it at the end of the day at primary school. Can’t actually remember the rules though!

QueenLaBeefah Wed 14-Feb-18 11:22:45

I loved that game.

Whitelisbon Wed 14-Feb-18 11:26:59

I still remember the excitement when someone put your thumb down....blush

ChasedByBees Thu 15-Feb-18 11:34:07

How do you play it?

pringlecat Thu 15-Feb-18 11:37:33

Well... this was a thing. But it wasn't a game as such, it was a really smart trick teachers used to calm down an overexcited class at the end of the day! wink

Appuskidu Thu 15-Feb-18 11:43:24

Still play it in my classroom! It’s a nice one for the end of term.

Choose 4 people who are ‘on’ who stand at the front.
The rest of then class are sitting at their tables and the teacher says, ‘heads down, thumbs up’ and they put their heads on the desk/their arms and stick both thumb sticks up.

The 4 people go and tiptoe around the classroom and each have one turn to choose a thumb to squeeze. If your thumb is chosen, you put it down. Teacher gives some reminders that if you are peeking, you won’t get chosen!

When all 4 people have selected and squeezed a thumb, they stand back at the front and the teacher tells the children to open their eyes and stand up if their thumb was squeezed. They then have to guess who squeezed it! If you correctly guess who did it, you take their place being ‘on’, if you don’t guess correctly, you stay sitting down!

It’s very exciting. Especially if BOTH your thumbs get squeezed and you get to choose twice!

weebarra Thu 15-Feb-18 11:47:05

Yes, in primary school in the 80s

8misskitty8 Thu 15-Feb-18 23:58:31

We played it in primary school early/mid 80’s. At the end of the day if the class had behaved.

Also we played ‘who stole my pencil ? ‘
Person goes to front of class and stands with back to us holding a pencil behind their back using both hands. Teacher picks someone to sneak up and take the pencil. Person at front then says ‘ who stole my pencil ? ‘. The person who took it has to say ‘I did’ using a different voice then the person at front has to try and guess who it was.

Toddlerteaplease Fri 16-Feb-18 21:34:28

Whaaaaat? Why did I never get to play any of these games?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now