Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

Age 12 rated dvds for a 4yo?

(19 Posts)
Summerberriesatdawn Tue 13-Feb-18 00:01:25

My mum keeps giving my child dvds which clearly states age 12 on the front.
I won't let dc watch them.
Would you?

Cavender Tue 13-Feb-18 02:00:24

No, and would tell my Mum not to buy anything above a PG in future.

SleepingStandingUp Tue 13-Feb-18 02:07:56

Literally hand them back and say oh sorry mum, DC cant watch this for nearly a decade.

ChasedByBees Tue 13-Feb-18 07:02:32

Literally hand them back and say oh sorry mum, DC cant watch this for nearly a decade.

Exactly this as sleeping says.

Or ask for the receipt so you can use the money for a U. It’s completely ridiculous. I think this is one gift you’re allowed to decline.

Phosphorus Tue 13-Feb-18 07:17:05

What are the films?

I'm sure mine children saw Star Wars and Harry Potter etc. at 4. Aren't some of those 12+?

Allthepinkunicorns Tue 13-Feb-18 07:19:16

Just keep them for when they are a bit older.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 13-Feb-18 07:26:37

Mine were watching Harry Potter. I wouldn’t get upset about this.

UnimaginativeUsername Tue 13-Feb-18 07:31:54

It would depend what the films were.

SleepingStandingUp Tue 13-Feb-18 07:56:39

Thing is if you watch a movie and then deem it suitable that's one thing. Constantly buying someone elses child video's they may not be able to watch for 8 years is ridiculous given how many kids movies there are. Once or twice is forgivable as an oversight

stressedoutfred Tue 13-Feb-18 08:10:52

It would depend what the film was?

stressedoutfred Tue 13-Feb-18 08:12:09

Although saying that, I can't think of many 12's I'd want a 4 year old to see !

Dairymilkmuncher Tue 13-Feb-18 08:17:21

Depends on what the film, like Harry Potter or marvel, home alone is totally fine for a four year old IMO.

Ive always has complete trust in things like that with both my mum and mother in law because Dh and I have turned out alright grin

INeedToEat Tue 13-Feb-18 08:18:23

12A's in cinemas are always 12's on DVD as there's no such thing as a 12A on dvds. So in theory you could have taken your child to the cinema to watch the films your mum has given you.

You are best off watching them yourself and deciding if you want your child to watch them.

Lots of 12 films are acceptable for a younger audience to watch.

NotAChristmasCakePop Tue 13-Feb-18 13:37:37

I'd find that strange. My 5 year old only watches U or PG and I would not let him watch Harry Potter or Star Wars... though he has seen the very first Star Wars ever that is PG.

zeeboo Tue 13-Feb-18 22:20:13

@NotAChristmasCakePop the older Star Wars films are PG because they were made before 12 or 15 ratings existed. They are no different. My son had the box set age 3 and loved them.

My kids have watched lots of 12s as children. 12 is often because of 'violence' and in a Spider-Man film the child knows it's fantasy. It's very different from action films where men that look like Daddy or the local policemen suddenly whip out guns and start shooting each other.

user187656748 Tue 13-Feb-18 22:21:24

nope

mumpoints Tue 13-Feb-18 22:32:57

A relative allowed her children to watch stuff way beyond their years and paid the price in her DD not sleeping because of "something in the wardrobe" etc for years. From age about 6 to 12 she had to sit in her daughter's room until she fell asleep. Sometimes this took three hours. And sometimes the child woke up and the process had to start again. The mother admits that it was directly related to something she had allowed the child to watch when she was too young.

SleepingStandingUp Wed 14-Feb-18 01:35:28

There's so much good kids stuff out there, I don't understand why you'd want your kids watching stuff full of fighting and shooting etc at such a young age

mumpoints Wed 14-Feb-18 05:39:07

With my relative it was wanting her kids to grow up too soon. She had tried for a baby for ages and when they came along she wanted everything NOW. She had imagined doing certain things with them and couldn't wait. So they all watched films together which were unsuitable. As mentioned, she paid a terrible price though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now