Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

Is this legal?

(19 Posts)
Summerberriesatdawn Sun 11-Feb-18 18:03:46

Having two official surnames (both surnames are on passport etc) without a hyphen. When written down first sur name could look like a middle name.
Is it legal to put a hyphen in to prevent This? Even though on birth cert and pass Port it's both surnames without hyphen?

Summerberriesatdawn Sun 11-Feb-18 18:30:21

Anyone have any advice or experience on this?

leghairdontcare Sun 11-Feb-18 18:34:11

When I married I did a double barrell without a hyphen. It caused loads of problems with banks for some reason so I changed everything to add the hyphen and have applied for mortgages etc since using a hyphen. Passport has no hyphen and it hasn't caused any problems for me.

LolitaLempicka Sun 11-Feb-18 18:34:15

Legal where? You can call yourself whatever you like. My names have no hyphen but some people/places add them.

Summerberriesatdawn Sun 11-Feb-18 18:39:46

Thank you for your comments.
@leghairdontcare did you change everything legally to add the hyphen? Or did you just add one in without deed poll or anything?

Summerberriesatdawn Sun 11-Feb-18 18:41:51

@LolitaLempicka legal as in say a certificate for exams or something with proof of name. If they would say well that's not actually your "name"?

leghairdontcare Sun 11-Feb-18 18:42:14

No, I didn't need to do a deed poll. It's still legal though. I don't think the law cares much about punctuation!

ZBIsabella Sun 11-Feb-18 19:36:22

It might be simpler to change by deed pool to the hyphen so everything is clear.

Summerberriesatdawn Sun 11-Feb-18 20:46:55

@ZBIsabella I don't think deed poll is necessary as @leghairdontcare the name is the same it's just adding a punctuation.

It's seems abit of a faff to do a deed poll just to add a hyphen inbetween two surnames.

worriedowner Sun 11-Feb-18 21:47:08

Yeah I sometimes hyphen and sometimes don't, doesn't matter. Virgin printed our names wrong on plane tickets and said their system couldn't cope without the hyphen and said it didn't matter that it didn't match passports. We went to the US and didn't have any problems.

TinaMena Mon 12-Feb-18 17:02:33

Its legal to call yourself whatever you want, as long as it isn't to defraud. Its more a case for getting computers to say yes everything has to match up

Summerberriesatdawn Mon 12-Feb-18 17:28:52

Its more a case for getting computers to say yes everything has to match up

Would this be the case if a hyphen was added? They are both official surnames.

MyRelationshipIsWeird Mon 12-Feb-18 17:47:34

I have two surnames, no hyphen, as do my DCs. TBH it's a pain in the arse. Things have gone astray due to being filed under the 'wrong' name (ie the second part of the name, not the first) so everything takes ages to sort out, as phone operators have to take all your details twice! I have to spell the bastard thing out every time I tell anyone. It's just annoying.

Some companies won't accept any punctuation so I have credit cards with it all running together as one word and some with a hyphen, some without. They don't seem to care that it isn't my actual name, as long as their computer accepts it!

Summerberriesatdawn Mon 12-Feb-18 18:27:39

@MyRelationshipIsWeird
Ah that Sounds like the same things that would happen with a hyphen or not.

Summerberriesatdawn Mon 12-Feb-18 18:29:26

I'm not worried about the having to spell it out as they are both quite simple names.

nancy75 Mon 12-Feb-18 18:31:24

Punctuation in names is a pain, not quite the same but my surname is O’ and so many websites go into meltdown if I use the ‘ I just don’t bother now & have never had a problem (even in flight tickets)

Summerberriesatdawn Mon 12-Feb-18 18:56:27

Interesting @nancy75 thank you

Pictureiswonky Wed 14-Feb-18 18:05:51

I added a hyphen to my 2 surnames to avoid the confusion. I didn't want people thinking my first surname was a middle name. A lot of Spanish people over here do that, as we all have 2 surnames. It has never been any problem

Summerberriesatdawn Wed 14-Feb-18 20:18:47

@Pictureiswonky thank you. It's my dc surname and their farther is Spanish but we live here in the UK. I'm happy to know it doesn't cause problems smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now