Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

Do I need antibiotics for infected sinus

(37 Posts)
GreenSeededGrape Sat 10-Feb-18 22:06:44

I've had head cold 2.5 weeks now and it's got so bad I think my sinuses are infected. My face has been aching for 3 days.

Doctors or is there something else I can do? I'm using Sudafed spray 3 x day and paracetamol every 4 hours (waking during the night because of the pain 😣)

pilates Sat 10-Feb-18 22:22:06

I would think antibiotics.
Would steaming help?
💐

GreenSeededGrape Sat 10-Feb-18 22:29:00

The thought of steaming makes me wince. I'm in bloody agony and thinkjng of ABs taking this pain will get me through the next 36 hours and wine

pilates Sat 10-Feb-18 22:39:24

Is there an emergency doctor you could see tomorrow?

FrankiesKnuckle Sat 10-Feb-18 22:42:08

If it's turned into sinusitis then yes. And I sympathise - I've had sinusitis a few times and I've never known pain like it.
I had to wean myself off the sudafed spray though, it's 'a thing' to have rebound stuffiness.

ozymandiusking Sat 10-Feb-18 22:43:22

If you do use steam to help loosen the mucous, don't go outside in to the cold straight away. It can cause the blood vessels to suddenly constrict and cause a lot of pain.

GiveMePrivacy Sat 10-Feb-18 22:43:27

I get sinus infections - less regularly now that I've learned how to manage them. What I would do is :
1. Flush with saline. Ideally get a can of Sterimar nasal spray (most pharmacies have it), but if not, mix up some salt & bicarb following this nasal rinse recipe
2. Take ibuprofen to reduce inflammation and manage the pain. Max dose you can.
3. Sudafed etc if you get on with it.
4. Steam inhalation - I have an inhaler cup from pharmacy, but otherwise just bowl of hot water, towel over your head. Do this before other stuff to loosen the mucus.
5. Eat very spicy food, whole chillies etc to make the mucus run & help unblock it all. Lots of wasabi or horseradish helps me!

Personally I found the saline wash, done 2-3 times daily for a day or two during acute infection, was more effective than the time I had antibiotics, and without any side effects.

Hope you feel better soon. It's horrible, isn't it? Hard to think straight when your face is all bunged up confused

GreenSeededGrape Sat 10-Feb-18 22:45:21

I have an appt for 8.40 on monday (thank God for MyGP app). Do you think I need an emergency appt? I was thinking I just need to get through tomorrow.

GiveMePrivacy Sat 10-Feb-18 22:45:53

Nb by Sudafed I meant decongestant tablets, not nasal spray. I got the rebound effect that @Frankie describes and it was horrible. Irritated my sinuses so much they bled sad.

GiveMePrivacy Sat 10-Feb-18 22:47:25

If I was you I'd get snorting saline now, do it again tomorrow morning and see how much relief you get. If it helps then you may well be ok till Monday. It helped me huge amounts.

thUnderdog Sat 10-Feb-18 22:48:03

It's often viral as far as I'm aware. Usually clears up on its own but I sympathise as I get it a lot and it's horrible. NHS don't recommend going to GP for it in the vast majority of cases:
www.nhs.uk/conditions/sinusitis-sinus-infection/

I agree with nasal rinses. It at least feels like it helps.

Notevilstepmother Sat 10-Feb-18 22:48:11

I put olbas oil in the bottom of the shower and have a hot shower, it’s the best way to relieve the pain.

GreenSeededGrape Sat 10-Feb-18 22:48:34

Ok so move to the Sudafed tablets and ease off the spray.

Notevilstepmother Sat 10-Feb-18 22:50:00

I agree with the saline spray too. I prefer sinutab to sudafed. It’s pharmacy only though and it has paracetamol in it so don’t take with paracetamol.

Bobs123 Sat 10-Feb-18 22:52:33

I’ve had loads of sinus problems over the years - normally show up as a headache right between the eyes. Had prescription nasal sprays, MRI etc.

A test is to tap quite firmly all round the eye area and see if it feels tender.

You could also try a saline rinse - I make my own solution and use a large syringe (btw use bicarbonate, not baking powder as that is quite frankly painful!!!). This acts as a natural antiseptic.

Sinus infections normally clear themselves. If they don’t, then antibiotics are needed. As far as pain relief goes, try mixing an ibuprofen with a paracetamol, or go see the pharmacist at a supermarket tomorrow and see if they’ll give you OTC codeine

Bobs123 Sat 10-Feb-18 22:53:54

Whoops forgot..something like this www.webmd.com/allergies/tc/saltwater-washes-nasal-saline-lavage-or-irrigation-for-sinusitis-topic

RandomMess Sun 11-Feb-18 08:57:49

I was told when I had sinusitis to STOP sudafed because that dries everything up whilst the body is working hard to get the infection out via the mucus???

Sinusitis is utter agony IME no mistaking it for a bad head cold.

GreenSeededGrape Sun 11-Feb-18 09:24:12

My headcold has caused sinusitis. I started the Sudafed on Wednesday after 2 weeks of the most horrendous snot fest I've ever experienced.

babyharibo17 Sun 11-Feb-18 09:31:25

Ouch sympathies as it's horrible.

Definitely try steaming it really helps loosen things and then you can blow out some of the 'gunk'. Put olbas oil in the hot water. It does sting your eyes but is worth it if it gets rid of some of the pressure.

Antibiotics depend on your GP. Official NHS advice is that most sinus infections don't need antibiotics and they will get better just as fast without.

Have you lost your sense of taste? I always find that strange when everything tastes of cardboard!

GreenSeededGrape Sun 11-Feb-18 09:35:39

I've had sinusitis a few times (strangely without any colds or runny nose etc) and always been prescribed AB. I didn't know I wouldn't get them here.

It's been very loose for 2 weeks, constantly blowing and now - TIM- it's bright green and lumpy mucus.

GreenSeededGrape Sun 11-Feb-18 09:36:22

And yes to taste, no point eating chocolate when I can't taste it!

Mammytomany74 Sun 11-Feb-18 09:38:58

I tend to get sinusitis very 2-3 years and it is horrible. A short dose of antibiotics usually clears it up.
Hope you feel better soon

thUnderdog Sun 11-Feb-18 09:51:49

The yellow/green mucous is actually a good thing - it's that colour because it's full of dead white blood cells that are fighting hard to kill it off. Rest, drink plenty, take painkillers, etc. and if the actual sinusitis lasts longer than a couple of weeks (not including the cold before that when you didn't have sinusitis) then go to the GP.

italiancortado Sun 11-Feb-18 09:52:04

Do you think I need an emergency appt?

I don't think you need an appointment at all. It's not something our GP's would give antibiotics for after 3 days. Usual protocol would be to wait and watch.

DD suffers from sinusitis about 3 times a year and is in bed for about 3/4 days with it. She has never been treated with antibiotics. It's usually viral and will clear up, and it does!

GreenSeededGrape Sun 11-Feb-18 10:13:25

Well I can't really take to my bed for 3/4 days hmm

Anyway, I've got an appointment tomorrow now and hopefully I'll get AB.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now