Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

Weaning on solids - when do they eat more?

(14 Posts)
Needsleepnow87 Sat 10-Feb-18 11:11:55

Doing more BLW as 9mo didn’t take to spoon feeding. Now he does, but can’t be bothered with all the blending/mashing now. So just give him finger foods/what we eat.

But he’s not eating much at all and still needs lots of milk.

Question is when did your little one start actually eat enough to reduce milk feeds? Or actually have a proper solid meal??

twoplytwoply Sat 10-Feb-18 12:15:02

A while yet, 9mo they're still getting most of their needs from milk. Especially when you're BLW, think of it as eating practise! And most of the food ends up on the floor rather than in the baby.....

It's a gradual thing, between 1 and 2 yrs the milk to food ratio changes and by 2 they're eating proper meals all the time and milk/boob just for comfort really.

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Sat 10-Feb-18 12:19:31

Ds suddenly started eating at 15 months... although he was and is (now 2.5) still capable of going several days on milk alone if he is teething or unwell

Needsleepnow87 Sat 10-Feb-18 12:31:57

This is why I’m worried! I breastfeed and need him to reduce feeds by the time I go back to work (12 months).

He has finally started taking formula from a beaker but only small amounts (1oz) and he could just refuse that anytime. He needs to learn that milk comes from beaker now but don’t want him to starve!

help1978 Sat 10-Feb-18 12:46:57

We had bugger all success with weaning until I cut back on his milk (about 7ish months) . I was so fucking sleep deprived I got a sleep trainer in and she said I needed to start pushing solids and cut back on milk so within a few days I cut his 6 bottles to 2 and then he was much "hungrier" for food

brownelephant Sat 10-Feb-18 12:48:34

dc suddenly started at 11m old
keep offering
keeping feeding milk on demand...

Jackyjill6 Sat 10-Feb-18 22:25:27

He won't eat much if he is continually topping up with milk. Is he still stlll feeding a lot at night?

Needsleepnow87 Sun 11-Feb-18 08:00:17

No he only feeds once at night.

help1978 Sun 11-Feb-18 08:52:41

I'm confused...your op said be "still needs lots of milk" but he's only fed once now at night?!

Needsleepnow87 Sun 11-Feb-18 08:59:47

Well yeah, there’s the whole day to have lots of milk.

help1978 Sun 11-Feb-18 09:22:35

Right ok. If you're giving him loads of milk during the day then he's not going to be hungry for solids......x

Needsleepnow87 Sun 11-Feb-18 09:25:25

Hmm ok, guess I’ll do some experimenting and not give him a morning milk feed but solids first thing.

Marcine Sun 11-Feb-18 09:26:52

By 9 months mine had 3 full meals a day and 4 milk feeds (first thing, mid morning, mid afternoon, bedtime). By 12 months they had snacks and a few oz milk in a beaker mid morning and afternoon.

ineedcoffeecoffeecoffee Sun 11-Feb-18 10:17:18

My lo is 9months but is bottlefed. She gets 3 bottles a day. On wake up, mid afternoon and before bed. We’re doing blw and somedays swallows hardly anything and others much more. I’d say she started eating more when I dropped the mid morning bottle and swapped it for an offer of water and a snack if she woke up about 10.30 or a early dinner if she woke up from her nap later. She doesn’t swallow much compared to a traditional weaned baby but happily swallows stuff if it’s something she really likes. Just keep offering food. Do you eat at the same time as him? He will get there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now