Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

Should I ask if the £20,000 was paid back?

(6 Posts)
ihatethecold Wed 07-Feb-18 11:03:35

My brother, who I get on very well with started a business about 10 years ago.
He borrowed 20,000 off my Gran. My brother told me this at the time.
He said he would pay her back but mentioned a few months/years later that he still hadn’t started paying her back.

My Gran has just passed away and I’ve been told that in the will my mum will get the proceeds of the bungalow and any money or other assets left over will be split between 4 people.
Me, my brother, my mum and my aunt.
So that all good but I have no idea if he paid her back.
I don’t know whether to ask him or not?
I can’t imagine my mum is aware of the loan 10 years ago. Do I casually mention it to her at some point?

Do I say nothing and hope he has done the right thing.
He is a lovely person and not malicious at all.

He is now self made and very successful with his company.

Ginmakesitallok Wed 07-Feb-18 11:07:10

It's not relevant if the will doesn't mention it. Your brother doesn't owe the estate any money.

endofthelinefinally Wed 07-Feb-18 11:07:17

Who is the executor?
Is there a solicitor dealing with the will?
Maybe you could ask the solicitor for advice.
It is a very difficult situation.

RB68 Wed 07-Feb-18 11:13:46

Technically he had the loan over 7 yrs ago so there is no tax implication. If your GM never chased him etc you cannot evidence the loan, which appears to have been a gift even though he talked about paying it back.

I would ask him directly about it, if he says he never paid it back I would gently say something like - are you going to putit back into the estate then so the distribution can be fair - or alternatively deduct from your share?. A portion of it would come to him so the full 20k wouldn't be deducted from his share but a solicitor would know how to deall with this if your Brother mentions it as part of the estate.

Only you can know if this is possible or if you need to let it go - it won't make 20K difference to you or others, only a propotion of that so a few grand. Sometimes for family unity you need to let it go

FilledSoda Wed 07-Feb-18 11:17:23

I would assume your grandmother was happy with the situation therefore it isn't really anyone else's business.
I understand why you would think it's unfair though, it is a bit.

ihatethecold Wed 07-Feb-18 11:43:52

Thank you. He and my mum are executors of the will.
There is a solicitor that is involved because the house sale will be split in half to give my grans grown up step children their share of the house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now