Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

Any Social Workers On Here For Advice?

(8 Posts)
MyCatStares Mon 05-Feb-18 19:55:23

I posted on here a few months ago about a young(16) pregnant relative of mine who is on a child protection plan.

She's due to give birth in a few weeks and up until now has been told she can live at home with baby, but will have very frequent checks from the social worker & health visitor.
However she's now been told before she can leave hospital with baby, social services will have a meeting with other professionals to determine if it's safe at home for the baby.

My questions are -

1) Why has she only just been told about this meeting? Its never been mentioned before.

2) What exactly happens in this meeting?

3) What are the chances of baby being allowed home? I know it's incredibly difficult to say without knowing full details, however I've only heard of these meetings resulting in baby being taken into care.

Obviously the most important thing is for baby to be safe, that's the main priority.

The baby is at zero risk from the mother, but there are risk factors/concerns in the home from others that live there. The father isn't in the picture so isn't a possibility that baby will go to him.

Sorry for the long post and any spelling mistakes!

whereisteddy Tue 06-Feb-18 02:03:32

Hi, am not a social worker but....
I would think that social care have looked at whole situation again and have decided that the risks in the home need addressing. I don't know what happens at the meeting, but social care have to be happy that the baby will be safe and looked after. I would have thought that if she is not deemed to be a risk factor to the baby, then a mother and baby foster placement (so she and baby go into care) or supervised housing might be suggested. If she wants to keep the baby she needs to cooperate with professionals and make the changes suggested e.g limiting contact with person who is a risk, so for example refusing a mother baby foster placement would be viewed as not cooperating.

TitaniasCloset Tue 06-Feb-18 13:58:48

Does she have a solicitor? If home is not suitable perhaps a mother and baby unit or foster care for both mum and baby could be considered. Don't let them take the baby, it will be almost impossible to get the child back if that happens and will ruin her bond with him.

Sorry not a social worker though.

TitaniasCloset Tue 06-Feb-18 17:36:18

Thought I might try to bump this OP.

Notevilstepmother Wed 07-Feb-18 15:21:01

It might be that new or more serious concerns have come to light about the people she is living with.

The meeting is to discuss the concerns and decided how dangerous the situation is and if it is manageable or not.

She might be able to go into mother and baby supported housing or lodgings or foster care of some sort.

If there is a risk to her or the baby where she is living this might be a very good idea.

If the mum isn’t the risk then they should be supporting her to find somewhere else to live with the baby. Taking the baby into care should be a last resort.

Without knowing the details (I understand why you are being vague) could the person who is a risk to the baby move out?

If they think she is ignoring the risk and burying her head in the sand that would make it more likely that they would start care proceedings. If she insists on living somewhere with a risky person they will say she isn’t putting the child first.

In her position I’d be applying for alternative accommodation or asking to be put in mum and baby care.

Notevilstepmother Wed 07-Feb-18 15:21:54

Not a SW but have been a support worker in those meetings.

Harryrotter Wed 07-Feb-18 20:56:58

A discharge planning meeting is usual procedure for a young person on a cp plan, to discuss the care for her and her child when they get home. They will be discussing ways to mitigate any risks in the home and environment.
The baby can only not be taken home if care proceedings have been issued, and if that were going to happen they should have told her that already (during the pre-proceedings process)and she should already have been advised to find a solicitor.
If they are not in pre-proceedings and no one has told her that they are seeking to issue care proceedings and remove the baby, the meeting will be just that, a meeting to discuss keeping them both safe at home.
This depends on the risks and reasons the 16 year old is on a plan, and what category of abuse/ neglect.

StillMissV Thu 08-Feb-18 06:04:04

Was away to respond but realise Harryrotter has already answered exactly how I would. Discharge planning meetings are standard procedure when a baby is on a CP plan and is just to ensure that the visiting schedule is in place etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now