Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

flexible working request

(10 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

frostyglass Tue 30-Jan-18 21:06:19

Asked manager could I stop night shifts on return to work and she seemed very negative. DH works and would not be home before I start night shift and Dd is going to start nursery. Childcare would be a massive problem. Other staff would have to do the night shifts (my replacement is being kept on) and he and one other colleague could split the night shifts. I don't think they will want to do this but neither of them have dependents. Also their contracts are slightly different from mine as theirs states they can be moved to other parts of the business- mine does not. If other staff refuse to cover night shifts, can my work refuse my request?

Bendyandtheinkmachine Mon 05-Feb-18 16:39:58

Yes they can. One of the valid reasons for refusing a flexible working request would be the inability to reorganise the workload amongst existing staff. You may have more luck if you offer to do at least one night shift.

Wait4nothing Mon 05-Feb-18 16:46:39

Could you off met to do a regular Saturday night shift (weekly, fortnightly) as that shift will be easier to cover childcare if your dp works mon-Friday?

Heartofglass12345 Mon 05-Feb-18 16:54:25

Just because they dont have children it doesnt mean they should do your night shifts. I used to be a nurse and they would never have agreed to that. I got fed up of being constantly dumped on nights because one of the others had a flexible working agreement (and the sun shone out of her arse in my managers eyes) which meant she did hardly any, even when i was pregnant.
Can your shifts work around your husbands? If its in your contract that you have to do nights i'm not sure where you would stand

teaiseverything Mon 05-Feb-18 17:01:42

"Moved to other parts of the business" does not necessarily translate to doing night shifts instead of earlies/mids/lates. Nights are a completely different kettle of fish. I worked them for many years and some people just aren't made for them so should not be pushed into doing them when that isn't what they applied for.

Them not having dependents has nothing to do with it. Please don't pull that card. Were you not yet working night shifts when you got pregnant and therefore didn't know they would realistically be part of your return to work?

Lucymek Mon 05-Feb-18 17:04:32

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

WTFIsThisVirus Mon 05-Feb-18 17:10:20

They can reject your request if it doesn't work for the business, or they can't arrange suitable cover.

When putting in a flexible work request, you may need to think about how it would affect the company and the team, and try to think of ways to resolve those issues.

You and your OH need to think of alternative plans, in case they say no.

WTFIsThisVirus Mon 05-Feb-18 17:11:44

And flexible working isn't just for people with kids, anyone can request it.

And now having dependents doesn't mean you want to work extra nightshifts

Jeez

babybobobear Mon 05-Feb-18 17:21:56

I have kids and find childcare difficult at time's so can understand your thinking, but other people not having kids doesn't mean they should have to do all the night shifts. Of course you should still put the request in, it's up to your employer to decide if it works for them ultimately.

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 07-Feb-18 10:50:31

We're just moving this to 30 days only for the OP. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now