Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

Moving to Oundle/Peterborough way, local knowledge please?

(29 Posts)
Bathsalts Mon 29-Jan-18 07:11:20

I’ve NC for this, as all my friends & family know we’re moving!

I’m looking for local knowledge in the Oundle/Peterborough/Corby area. DC is starting at Oundle School in Sept and we’re part relocating from London. I say part as we’ve downsized our London home drastically so we can afford a proper family home near Oundle.

I’ve had a drive round Peterborough as the nearest city, I have to say it doesn’t appeal but I may have missed the nice parts. Oundle itself is lovely but I’d like to give DC some space so not keen on living right in the town.

Does anyone have local knowledge of the villages near Oundle? Which ones are nice/friendly? What’s Corby like (maybe too far), or Thrapston?

Property-wise we’re looking for 3/4 bed house or barn conversion, decent budget.

Where would you live and why?

Bathsalts Mon 29-Jan-18 14:06:26

Anyone?

DaisyDando Mon 29-Jan-18 14:09:48

You won’t find many barn conversions in Corby, but Thrapston and Oundle are both nice. Corby is also a great place to live but maybe not if your child is travelling you Oundle School.

Paddington68 Mon 29-Jan-18 14:10:29

Stamford, Warmington, Fotheringay, the Benefields.

Elton or Alwalton are on the outskirts of Peterborough

Perpetualstateofchaos Mon 29-Jan-18 14:12:44

Weldon is between Corby and oundle so could be a possibility.

Bluelady Mon 29-Jan-18 14:13:51

What Paddington said. Stamford is beautiful but pricy. Some other villages to look at are Cottesmore, Empingham, Greetham - all very nice.

staveleymum Mon 29-Jan-18 14:16:10

I'm from Peterborough originally and my parents are still there. There are nice pockets within the town itself but it depends what you are looking for. If you want countryside and limited amenities then Peterborough is not the place for you. There are many nice villages around Oundle which are picturesque but if you have teenage kids then depending on their hobbies and interests you might end up ferrying them around a lot. If you want to stay in P'boro or its immediate vicinity I'd say Caster and Ailsworth, Market Deeping, Stamford are worth looking into.

EdithWeston Mon 29-Jan-18 15:56:29

If you don't like Peterborough, then you probably won't like Corby either.

Agree Fotheringay is nice.

I wouldn't go as far as Cottesmore, Empingham or Stamford unless your choice of school is also potentially changeable.

hollyberrytree Mon 29-Jan-18 16:17:48

I name changed too

Peterborough is my nearest city. You didn’t miss any good bits. The cathedral is lovely and there is a John Lewis and a Waitrose.

I hate it! It’s characterless and dull. Very little in the way of independence shops.

Probably because it doesn’t have a proper university it lacks any culture.
Stamford is nicer but too far if you are set on Oundle School. Although it has its own independent school.
I have teenagers and Peterborough is awful for them too.

The plus side is property is cheapish

If I could afford to move I would

Bathsalts Mon 29-Jan-18 16:25:49

Thanks so much for the replies! Good to hear that Corby is a good place to live, I'll go visit when I have my next recce.

Are there any good villages that are walkable it cycle-able to Oundle?

NewSingleMummy Mon 29-Jan-18 16:34:30

I live in Corby. Some nice villages locally- Weldon, Gretton, Rockingham, Stanion, Great Easton and East Carlton which is attached to the country park are all short drives.

Bathsalts Mon 29-Jan-18 16:59:47

I've just had a proper look at the map for distances etc and think Corby is too far. I'm erring towards a closer village to Oundle.

Any views on Ashton/elmington/Cotterstock/Glapthorn/Stokedoyle/Polebrook ? Happy to rent until the right property & location come up.

hollyberrytree Mon 29-Jan-18 17:13:15

Elton is quite nice. Not sure what facilities are there but some pretty houses.
Likewise Castor.

Bathsalts Mon 29-Jan-18 20:45:48

Thanks Holly, I've had a little look on Rightmove, I can't believe how much you get for your money compared to London.

FinallyHere Mon 29-Jan-18 20:54:48

Ashton is lovely and there is a footpath from Oundle which is easily walkable.

With teenagers, though I would live in Oundle itself, so they can get around under their own steam.

Bathsalts Mon 29-Jan-18 21:34:39

My DC will be boarding at Oundle School, I and my husband will be part commuting to London and part working from home during the week so I'm not too worried about DC having stuff to do or being isolated as he won't be living with us during the week.

Ashton looks beautiful!

Freshme Thu 01-Feb-18 17:26:57

Corby as a good place to live, is it a joke?😏

I had lived in that area for 12+ years and still a little bitter about it, still can't shake off that it was partly 12 years down the pan. The last 7 years was in Stamford, which is your only lovely but not dead town in the area. Countryside-wise it's just wet fields round Stamford, and Burghley park to go for a walk/run in, you'll be sick to the back teeth of it very quickly.
Peterborough is awful (not counting the cathedral) and I'm sure property prices reflect it even though it's easily commutable to London by train.

MongerTruffle Thu 01-Feb-18 17:28:39

Cardea and Hampton are the nicer parts of Peterborough. The rest of it is ugly.

Freshme Thu 01-Feb-18 17:33:10

Actually if you want space and nature, going more Corby-way is better than Stamford/Peterborough. By the way, something to keep in mind - half of Stamford lives in the dust and noise shadow of the A1, esp due to the prevailing wind.
Anyway, Kings Cliffe is a lovely village and at least there's Fineshade and Wakerley Woods nearby.

Headunderthecovers Thu 01-Feb-18 18:15:02

I wouldn't think Corby would fit the bill, at all. I doubt anyone with kids at Oundle School lives in Corby, as Freshme says that is quite funny really. If you can afford private school, you would not realistically choose to live in Corby or near it. It's a ex Steel town and just a windy shopping centre - think smaller Peterborough.

Village wise: Ashton is very pretty, but quiet. The Rothschilds have gradually been selling off their properties, but there are still lots of links; I think it is mostly older people, although I could be wrong. Lovely pub.You can walk easily to Oundle through the fields. Cotterstock easy cycle or walk along the river Nene into Oundle and Glapthorn close by. Barnwell also nice, although the A605 has to be crossed to get to Oundle. More families in these villages.Stoke Doyle hasn't got much to it. Further out Fotheringay is picture postcard perfect (Tansor is on the way and very pretty again although no amenities) and Elton is lovely too - further to cycle and a bit far to walk to Oundle.All the villages are pretty around Oundle really. It is a beautiful part of the world, although the area around Oundle and then down to Wadenhoe and across to Wansford/Kings Cliffe is the nice bit.
I'd disagree with Freshme on this area, as you have to move to the select 'naice' parts and they are lovely to live in - you'll be able to see which they are by the higher price and less properties available.Have you experienced small village living though? I'd just live in Oundle - lots of parents of Oundle children do, but if you want a barn conversion then a village is the best bet.

Cambridge is the only decent larger place around as Peterborough really isn't nice, although the Cathedral is beautiful and John Lewis is good. Stamford is a pretty small town.

Try Woodfords Estate Agents in Oundle for buying/rental.

Freshme Thu 01-Feb-18 21:56:04

Stamford is a small town, but many times bigger, better connected and has much more going on than Oundle!
My friend had older DC in Oundle and happily lived there for a number of years, but then had to rent in Stamford with younger DC going to Stamford schools. After a few years in Stamford none of the family could face moving back to Oundle, was just too quiet boring

Second Cambridge being the only truly interesting small city within 50 miles, I used to go on a lot of day trips, however day trips don't improve your quality of life much...
Probably living in a village outside Oundle would make most sense for the OP, or living on the outskirts facing the countryside would probably quite similar to living in a village anyway.

FlexTimeCheekyFucker Thu 01-Feb-18 21:59:27

Spent 10 years in Peterborough. It's a shithole.

Apple23 Fri 02-Feb-18 17:56:59

I wouldn't recommend Cambridge if you need to travel from there towards Peterborough/ Oundle until the A14 is upgraded.

Hampton and Cardea in Perterborough are very modern, as is Orton Northgate just off the A1. Orton Wistow and Orton Brimbles are a bit older, similarly characterless (not bad areas), but have some good size 3-4 bed houses.

Orton Waterville and Alwalton are traditional villages, as is Castor, which has some very naice properties. If you want a town, then look at Stamford.

Pboroadnauseum Thu 08-Feb-18 17:48:49

Right. Brace yourself for the shit sandwich.

Avoid Corby and Peterborough. They are depressing miserable places. The closer you get to Peterborough, the stranger the people. We are moving (hopefully) away to be closer to DCs' school (which is a key rival school - see you at the match teas grin)

Oundle itself is lovely and is the local culture hub. However, check out the crime statistics as it has a reputation as a burglary hotspot by the people from, wait for it, Corby.

If you're commuting to London then look at Kettering Station. My DH uses Peterborough and hates it. There's always a delay, there's always signalling problems, no driver, no catering staff, fkups over seat reservations. Look at Market Harborough as well. The trains are great and the station has a good car park. The trains don't run so often from Corby but apparently the parking is very cheap!

Actually, I'd recommend Market Harborough through and through. You will also need a proper 4x4 as the country roads are awful. MH has got a nice Waitrose, Oundle has got a co-op but in it's favour, it has the amazing Hambleton bakery.

We looked at Oundle and it is a phenomenal school. I think the school is trying to mix the day & boarding pupils up a bit but generally the Laxton kids are slightly separate. As such, your child may not make many friends who are day pupils do you don't have to be within 5 mins of Oundle. Most Laxton kids live very close to Oundle as there are so many late nights.

PM me if you would like specific details off Mumsnet. I'll be happy to help.

Freshme Thu 08-Feb-18 19:47:00

Pboroadnauseum,

Oundle has a Waitrose now too 😉

I think the OP might be having second thoughts after reading all this!😀

Agree Market Harborough is a better alternative in the area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now