Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

Was cake enough?

(36 Posts)
Mobydick100 Fri 12-Jan-18 14:09:23

I have baby twins. I am extremely sleep deprived. Today a couple came to visit us who belong to my old choir. I moved house while pregnant so not seen them in a while. They were stopping to see us on route to somewhere else ..probably went 20 mins our of their way. They arrived at 11. I offered them drinks and cake. Should i have offered lunch? They left just after 1.
I didn't offer lunch because I'm so exhausted I'm trying to save my energy and we didnt have anything in i could easily have served. Was I rude? They are definitely not close friends. They were kind of visiting on behalf of the choir...bringing gift from choir. I really struggle with kind of thing...
Thanks

SnowFairyDust Fri 12-Jan-18 14:10:57

If they left at 1, so we're here over lunchtime, you probably should have offered them lunch.

Sounds like you have a lot on though and I wouldn't worry about it.

CheapSausagesAndSpam Fri 12-Jan-18 14:11:06

Cake was fine. They stayed too long.

They came before lunch and then stayed past it. They needed to leave earlier. You have baby twins!

They were ;lucky to get cake.

MikeUniformMike Fri 12-Jan-18 14:11:35

I think cake was fine. Give yourself a break - you've got yourself and two babies to look after.

CheapSausagesAndSpam Fri 12-Jan-18 14:12:22

Snow she should not have offered them lunch!

A visit from a non relation to a new Mother should be short and sweet...

Here's the gift...what a cute baby...how are you...thanks for the tea...lovely...Goodbye.

They weren't close friends and stayed TWO hours!

idontlikealdi Fri 12-Jan-18 14:12:29

If hey wanted lunch they should have brought it!

wowbutter Fri 12-Jan-18 14:13:18

I think you were fine. If they were planning on staying over a meal, they could have brought lunch and offered you some.
One o'clock is perfect time for the, to go and then get some lunch, chill, you were fine.

KalaLaka Fri 12-Jan-18 14:14:04

Don't overthink it. Sleep deprivation will make you second guess everything and struggle with decisions... I have twins too! I would have been more than happy with cake, you did just fine.

Vonklump Fri 12-Jan-18 14:14:49

You have baby twins. They should have brought you cake.

I hate playing Guess how long the visitors are staying.

Cheekyandfreaky Fri 12-Jan-18 14:23:56

No yanbu, you have baby twins and presumably they wanted you to enjoy their visit. If it stresses you out, next time arrange for an obvious non-mealtime eg. 11am/3pm and just say ‘come around for a cuppa’.

PoshPenny Fri 12-Jan-18 14:27:22

Cake sounds fine to me, I think you got it absolutely right. If they were expecting lunch, then they were the unreasonable ones, not you. That is an unreasonable expectation from a mother with new twins!

PotteringAlong Fri 12-Jan-18 14:28:09

Did you invite them at that time or did they invite themselves?

Almondsupreme Fri 12-Jan-18 14:29:05

They should have brought you stuff for lunch!
Don't worry about it. I never expect anything when visiting a new mummy. I'm sure they didn't either.

SorenLorensonsInvisibleFriend Fri 12-Jan-18 14:31:04

Two hours is ages. They overstayed. Arriving at 11 is 'tea and cake' time. Elevenses. If they wanted lunch, they should have either brought something with them - for you as well, as a new mum! - or jeffed off at midday.

Relax. And please be gentle with yourself!

(Also, they should definitely have brought you the cake..)

SnowFairyDust Fri 12-Jan-18 14:31:36

I would have offered lunch though! blush

But yes, agree that I wouldn't have expected it from somebody with baby twins. Perhaps this is why I get stressed always trying to do the right thing!

notafish Fri 12-Jan-18 14:36:00

Absolutely fine. I wouldn't expect lunch if popping in to deliver a gift and arriving at 11am.

CheapSausagesAndSpam Fri 12-Jan-18 14:36:10

Snow...have you had twin babies?

Keepingupwiththejonesys Fri 12-Jan-18 14:39:09

Even with one baby I wouldn't have offered lunch as tbh I wouldn't have expected them to stay so long!

MouseandChops1 Fri 12-Jan-18 14:48:05

Anytime I visit friends with little babies I bring the lunch and cake. You have enough on your plate without catering to them. Don't worry yourself about it

SnowFairyDust Fri 12-Jan-18 14:51:33

No, but two close in age babies!

Anyway, it's not about me, what the OP did was absolutely fine, I'm just of the put yourself under loads of pressure for no real reason type!

user1493413286 Fri 12-Jan-18 14:57:22

I think they were lucky to get cake! Unless invited for lunch I wouldn’t expect to be given lunch at someone’s house and I’d take cake etc to someone’s particularly if they had baby twins

Doje Fri 12-Jan-18 14:59:35

You have twin babies! They should have made YOU lunch!!

weepingangel12 Fri 12-Jan-18 15:01:16

If they left at 1, so we're here over lunchtime, you probably should have offered them lunch

I think you mean they stayed too long, and if OP had offered lunch they would have stayed far longer!
They weren't invited to lunch, so no you should not have offered it (unless you particularly wanted to, which you didn't)

(also how is 11 til 1 over lunchtime? confused ]

MidnightExpress1 Fri 12-Jan-18 15:03:44

God I would struggle with an hour and half when I had ds not 2hours over the lunch time period. Of course the cake was enough op.

OlennasWimple Fri 12-Jan-18 15:04:10

Cake at 11am was fine! It was elevenses!

Congratulations on your babies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now