Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

Can I give blood with dd with me or is it really strict?

(43 Posts)
LadyWobbleton Sat 06-Jan-18 07:45:18

Really want to give blood but no idea how it works, dd is 1 and will be in buggy and I will be walking, is that ok or do they say no children?

bimbobaggins Sat 06-Jan-18 07:47:37

This happened to me years ago. I took my ds with me in his pram and they were very reluctant to let me in case I felt unwell. Eventually they did because I told them I’d traveled a distance to do so.

RatSoup Sat 06-Jan-18 07:48:05

I’ve never tried with a child that young, but I’ve certainly taken my older kids with me (from memory would have been 5 and 10-ish) and they were fine.
Good luck!

bimbobaggins Sat 06-Jan-18 07:48:22

But looking back now I can understand why they didn’t want me to.
If it’s local to you give it a try

LadyWobbleton Sat 06-Jan-18 07:49:39

So if it's my first time do you think they would turn me away?

I knew I was right to query it! If I was normal I would just call them but I get so nervous on the phone I can't get the words out!

meditrina Sat 06-Jan-18 07:53:17

There simply wouldn't be the space for a pushchair in donation area in the centre where I give blood, and there aren't enough staff to keep an eye on small DC left in the waiting area (and mobile ones would not be permitted around the donation chairs).

They don't mind older DC who can sit unsupervised in the waiting area (I think mine were OK there from age about 8ish)

piglet81 Sat 06-Jan-18 07:54:02

There's a Facebook page for the blood donation service - maybe you could message them to ask? (I hate the phone too!) Good luck and well done for wanting to donate. I wish I could, but I had a transfusion after giving birth so can't.

EmmaGrundyForPM Sat 06-Jan-18 07:55:34

I think if it's your first time then it's better if you don't take your baby. The first time I gave blood I fainted and felt very strange for ages afterwards, and they wouldn't let me leave for about 30 minutes. If I'd had a baby with me who had become distressed then I wouldn't have been able to pick it up etc braise I was lting on a very narrow bed with my feet in the air to recover.

Giving blood is an amazing thing to do,;so please do do it but leave your baby with a friend whilst you do.

iVampire Sat 06-Jan-18 07:55:47

I hope you can find a way.

I can no longer give blood (for medical reasons) and love reading threads about new donors. Thank you

LadyWobbleton Sat 06-Jan-18 07:56:40

Hmm, it's not sounding likely is it, what a shame there's so many road blocks (understandable yet annoying!)

SandyDenny Sat 06-Jan-18 07:57:10

I've never seen a small child when I've been and tbh I think they'd say no just because if space and the fact that you wouldn't be able to look after your child once you're actually hooked up and a crying child would really disturb the other people who might be nervous anyway.

Please don't let that put you off for the future, giving blood is a really good thing to do

Lweji Sat 06-Jan-18 07:57:54

You'll be sitting too long for a 1 year old, who may poo, want to come out of the buggy, etc.
Better without.

ChristmasAccountant Sat 06-Jan-18 08:00:20

I have taken my baby before, in a pram asleep. But I've been donating for years and don't tend to have any adverse affects plus there's loads of room at my donor centre.
Well done on wanting to donate!

Knaffedoff Sat 06-Jan-18 08:00:42

i wouldn't take a 1 yr old on a first donation, the first time I went i had a bad reaction and can't imagine having to manage a baby at the same time !

LadyWobbleton Sat 06-Jan-18 08:08:59

What if a friend came with me? Or would they say lack of space? They could wait in waiting area?

Dd would't go to hers for the morning but would prob be ok for a few mins in the waiting area.

I REALLY want to do this, grrr!

LadyWobbleton Sat 06-Jan-18 08:13:26

Oh I didn't think about other people donating..

SandyDenny Sat 06-Jan-18 08:20:42

Taking a friend could work depending on what the place is like. I've been to sessions where there isn't a waiting area as such, just different areas of chairs with not much room in between but I once went to a conference room in a hotel where taking someone to sit in the public area would have worked perfectly

Taking a friend might be better just because she’s only 1 and you aren’t sure. Having said that I’ve always taken the dc to the blood donation with me since they were very small and they have always been encouraged to come along by the staff and been showered with juice and biscuits and both ds1 and dd have watched me giving blood which the nurses doing it encouraged. It normalises it and shows that it isn’t a scary or painful procedure with the hope they will grow up and go on and give blood.

OuchBollocks Sat 06-Jan-18 08:45:38

I took DS with me back in November when he was 8 months and there was another baby in a buggy there too, but it was a large hall and I've been donating for years.

purplepug Sat 06-Jan-18 08:48:53

They wouldn't let me when I took my sleeping baby.

Namethecat Sat 06-Jan-18 08:54:32

Also if your baby woke up, cried in pain, had a medical emergency etc you'd be wired up so to speak and be unable to react to it's needs. They have various appointments often into early evenings so perhaps family friend could help out.

Wigeon Sat 06-Jan-18 09:01:13

That’s great that’s you are thinking of becoming a blood donor - I need someone to replace me as I am a regular donor but can’t give blood at the moment...!

I wouldn’t have taken a baby that age, because while you’re donating you obviously can’t get up, move around, get the baby out of the buggy. So potentially you’ve got a screaming baby for 10/ 15 mins while you are donating...I’d also be concerned that it’s your first time and you don’t know how you’ll feel afterwards.

DH has taken our DDs on occasion when he gives blood, but they are 9 and 6 and perfectly capable of sitting quietly and reading / colouring.

Bringing a friend to look after the baby would definitely work in the venues I’ve given blood. There are also some venues with evening appointments if you’d be able to leave the baby with someone at home and go by yourself?

NoSquirrels Sat 06-Jan-18 09:07:05

Take your friend. If she can’t wait with you in the waiting area due to space issues, then she can take your baby a walk in the buggy for 30 minutes.

It will vary on discretion of the staff, but as others say, play safe first time.

DrDreReturns Sat 06-Jan-18 09:09:04

I take my dd but she's 8. 1 is a bit young imo, you could be donating for a while. Well done for wanting to give blood!

Trampire Sat 06-Jan-18 09:19:46

I'm a blood donor.

I've taken my kids with me many times (although they're a bit older and sat in the waiting area while I donated).

Last time I donated at Christmas and a man had his toddler son with him. The nurses pulled up a chair so his son could sit right by him. He was as good as gold.

When you donate, there's a eating area, then a prick test area, then another short waiting area where you drink before you donate. I've seen plenty of children in the first waiting area. Give your local service a call and ask but I've seen plenty of children in there, although not loads all at once IYSWIM.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now