Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

Whenever DD (almost 3) has a cut it takes ages to heal?

(32 Posts)
MotherofaSurvivor Tue 02-Jan-18 19:07:34

The longest to heal still hasn't fully healed, after 3 months....! Is a small cut on her face that she got from falling over and should've gone months ago.
Also, every time it bled, it BLED!!!! Took over an hour or me chasing her and trying to apply pressure to get it to stop, only for her to wiggle away and so it all starts again...

She has since got an even smaller cut on her chin about a month ago and although the bleeding hasn't been anywhere near as bad, it still won't heal!

I noticed this first a long time ago, but it was a cut on her foot and I put it down to the skin being thinner on her foot and so took longer to heal.
She is otherwise absolutely fine. No other issues. When she gets a cold or virus she recovers swiftly. She did have a cough for about 4 months once and always has a runny or runnyish nose but that's toddlers isn't it?

Should I take her to the doctor? Don't want to waste an appointment if everybody says their kids are/were similar....

Thanks

Rotorevolution Tue 02-Jan-18 20:12:48

Definitely take her to the doctors. I imagine that they will want to do a blood test.

Sheena99 Wed 03-Jan-18 21:24:01

I'd agree, just to put your mind at rest, but it would concern me to be honest.

NovemberWitch Wed 03-Jan-18 21:30:35

It might be a platelet deficiency. Do her gums bleed sometimes when you brush her teeth, does she bruise easily when she gets a small bump?
It might be nothing, or something more serious. Either way, much better to know.

MotherofaSurvivor Sat 06-Jan-18 17:39:24

Yes she does bruise easily....

Oh God I'm worried now. She's in at docs on Wednesday.

Sorry, only just noticed more replies x

GreenFingersWouldBeHandy Wed 10-Jan-18 15:17:31

HI OP, just wondered if you had had your GP appointment yet? Hope DD is OK.

LouJDawe Wed 10-Jan-18 21:14:59

Does Haemophilia run in your family?

feetonthetable Wed 10-Jan-18 21:22:46

How did the gp appointment go?

ArsenalsPlayingAtHome Fri 12-Jan-18 19:22:13

I'm wondering how your DD got on, too, OP.

MotherofaSurvivor Sat 13-Jan-18 02:22:39

Hi sorry I forgot to update!

Doc said, and I quote "Weird int'it?! What do you think it is???"

angryconfused

I asked if it was likely to be anything underlying that's causing it and he shrugged(!) and said "Probably not!!"

He prescribed a cream.........!!!!!

I asked if it could be Diabetes and he laughed and said "Nah, Diabetes is a medical emergency for a toddler at her age!" He then handed me my prescription and we promptly left. Unsure whether to be angry or relieved 🤷‍♀️

MotherofaSurvivor Sat 13-Jan-18 02:23:48

No Haemophilia LouJ

Cornishmumofone Sat 13-Jan-18 03:13:26

GPs are trained to ask patients what they think the problem might be for two reasons. Firstly, they can reassure people who have self-diagnosed something ludicrous and secondly, they are GENERAL practitioners, so they can't be expected to know about all medical conditions. They know that most patients will have googled their symptoms and some will correctly self-diagnose.

FastWindow Sat 13-Jan-18 03:20:42

Are you sure you went to a GP? The laughing, and the way they asked you for a diagnosis, suggests your doctor may not be a real doctor.

Greensleeves Sat 13-Jan-18 03:24:57

My friend's 8yo has a condition called ITP that causes very low platelets. He has slow wound healing, excessive bleeding from cuts and he bruises really nastily.

It's not known why some children develop it, but as long as he is careful (no contact sports, diligent safety on trampolines etc) he leads a totally normal life with regular check-ups and it's expected to go away on its own eventually. If he gets worse or has a big bleed, they can do platelet transfusions which help.

It might be completely irrelevant, but given that your GP seems a bit vague I would go back and ask to have her tested for ITP.

namechangealerttt Sat 13-Jan-18 03:29:31

I was always amazed at how quickly my boys cuts healed when they were little. It doesn't sound right. I would try for a second opinion.

hevonbu Sat 13-Jan-18 03:52:06

I also thought about a platelet deficiency, like thrombocytopenia?

hevonbu Sat 13-Jan-18 03:53:37

I think ITP (above) stands for idiopathic thrombocytopenia o
purpura, the "purpura" having something to do with blood or bruises (think "purple").

Greensleeves Sat 13-Jan-18 03:55:17

That's right, the idiopathic bit just means they don't know what causes it

hevonbu Sat 13-Jan-18 03:55:57

The lonely "o" there being a typo, from tapping on my phone. "Idiopathic thrombocytopenia purpura" = ITP = one out of many possible platelet deficiencies.

hevonbu Sat 13-Jan-18 03:58:30

I've read an article about milk having caused it in a patient.

Mum had ITP (she's dead, hence "had"). An obnoxious disease but I don't think it was painful, just that she had to be careful and not hurt herself.

MotherofaSurvivor Sat 13-Jan-18 19:02:27

FastWindow Same Surgery I have been with for years............ hmm

MotherofaSurvivor Sat 13-Jan-18 19:04:44

I will get a second opinion, Thankyou very much

MotherofaSurvivor Sat 13-Jan-18 19:05:23

Will also ask for ITP test

Greensleeves Sat 13-Jan-18 19:05:42

Good luck with the second opinion OP, I hope you get some answers soon flowers

BedtimeTea Mon 15-Jan-18 10:44:18

That doctor sounds terrible, I'd replace him soon as possible if he is your regulsr GP. I'd get a second opinion.
My cousin has ITP too. Not saying your daughter has EDS, but many with EDS are slow healers who bruise easily. Their skin is soft like a baby and stretchy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now