Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

Concerned about FB friend's children

(58 Posts)
Allwashedup Thu 07-Dec-17 21:45:37

I'll get straight to the point, which is that a Facebook friend who I know fairly well has put up a post saying that putting brandy in her children's tea (as in the drink) always gets them to sleep...these children are various ages from 1 to 8.

I can't help but be concerned that these children are being given alcohol but am not sure what to do. sad

MyBrilliantDisguise Thu 07-Dec-17 21:52:56

Take a screenshot, first of all. Do you know which school the children go to?

jellytott Thu 07-Dec-17 21:53:46

I think you should mind your own with this. At the end of the day it is down to a parent whether or not they give their child alcohol. I highly doubt that she is giving them lots and just because you or I disagree doesn't mean it's wrong.

RestingGrinchFace Thu 07-Dec-17 21:54:11

That is a shocking thing to post on social media. You are completely correct in being concerned. Take a screen shot and notify social services.

cloudchasing Thu 07-Dec-17 21:54:23

She might be joking.

jellytott Thu 07-Dec-17 21:56:03

It is also not illegal for a child age 5 and upwards to drink alcohol in their own home.

Angelicinnocent Thu 07-Dec-17 21:58:11

Got to agree that it's not really any of your business. It could be a joke but even if not, it's decision as the parent.

Chaosofcalm Thu 07-Dec-17 22:00:06

jellytott the OP says the children are aged from 1 upwards.

OP if you think she is telling the truth then you need to pass this into SS who will use their professional training and experience tondecide if they think if it is worth investigating.

CountessOfStrathearn Thu 07-Dec-17 22:00:37

I know that people must have known what was happening to me as a child and yet did nothing because it was "none of their business". I really would report this. If you are overreacting, as many here think you are, she has nothing to fear as SS will see this as completely fine.

BurnTheBlackSuit Thu 07-Dec-17 22:00:50

It does sound like someone would say in jest.

Is it likely to be true? Was there any context to it? Any other concerns with her parenting?

ILikeyourHairyHands Thu 07-Dec-17 22:05:15

I would imagine she is 'having a laugh'

Is there any reason you think she's actually drugging her children to sleep?

ShiveryTimbers Thu 07-Dec-17 22:12:43

Do you have any other reason to be concerned?

To be honest, it sounds like she is joking, and it would be bit embarrassing to call SS about a jokey Facebook post unless it is in addition to other concerns.

Allwashedup Thu 07-Dec-17 23:17:21

Thanks for the replies. I don't know her well enough to know her address but I know the area and have an idea of the school the older ones go to.

I don't know if she was joking but part of me wants to take a screenshot and report it to SS and the other part says it's none of my business.

Lules Thu 07-Dec-17 23:19:10

Surely it’s a joke?

NachoAddict Thu 07-Dec-17 23:20:05

I would probably say something along those lines as a joke but woukd never actually give my children alcohol.

Would a child even drink it? I hate the taste of alcohol so can't imagine small children happily drinking it.

Allwashedup Thu 07-Dec-17 23:22:21

Lules I hope it's a joke.

She's always very defensive on fb about what a great mum she is and very quick to defend herself against percieved criticism of her family.

timeisnotaline Thu 07-Dec-17 23:23:17

Take the screenshot while you decide. If I said that I'd be joking though so tricky. I assume you aren't comfortable with commenting ? Something like ' works better if you skip the tea part surely?'

BlackEyedKid Thu 07-Dec-17 23:23:51

God, mnetters will literally excuse ANYTHING in order to disagree with an OP won’t they?! 🙄

ILikeyourHairyHands Thu 07-Dec-17 23:27:43

Excuse ANYTHING?

I really presume the woman OP is talking about is genuinely Taking The Piss.

Rather than excusing the abuse of children I would look at the nuance of what's actually being said.

Allwashedup Thu 07-Dec-17 23:28:14

Timeisnotaline yeah have taken a screenshot now and thinking of commenting on her post although again she'll probably get very defensive.

If it makes any difference I know they're in social or council housing.

Think I'll sleep on it tonight.

just5morepeas Thu 07-Dec-17 23:31:56

Maybe you could comment on it as if you're assuming that it is a joke? Something like: "lol, I wish it was ok to do this! " and see how she reacts?

INeedNewShoes Thu 07-Dec-17 23:32:49

It doesn't make any difference. HTH

ShiveryTimbers Thu 07-Dec-17 23:33:34

Um, why exactly do you think it would be relevant that they are in social or council housing?

cloudchasing Thu 07-Dec-17 23:50:58

Ah well, if she's in social housing, she must be a wrong-un hmm

pinkblink Thu 07-Dec-17 23:52:18

Council house? She will be lacing their shreddies with sedatives too then, keep them nice and quiet in the day

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now