Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

Should I call a doctor?

(11 Posts)
plagueplague Thu 07-Dec-17 04:26:48

I've had a bad cold since Sunday (sore throat, headache, lethargy, sinusitis, almost no sleep or appetite) which is slightly on the mend, sort of.

I'm now blowing my nose more and coughing up and lots of yellow stuff. I feel awful.

Dh says this is normal and he gets it all the time with colds. Google says this is bronchitis and if it's coloured to call a doctor.

My head is so stuffy, I can't think straight. Can someone tell me what to do? I don't want to be one of those "bringing the NHS down on its knees" sorts.

SheGotOffThePlane Thu 07-Dec-17 04:29:32

I wouldn't call the doctor out. I've had this for almost 4 weeks now and I'm just coming out the other side. It's really shit but not OOH worthy I don't think. What do you have to treat your sinusitis?

plagueplague Thu 07-Dec-17 04:37:12

Oh god no, wasn't thinking of a house call, not that serious. Don't fancy going to surgery either but I would if necessary.

I was thinking maybe calling and asking for a phone appointment; though maybe that would miss the point.

Right now it's me, a burningly sore nose and lots of tissues and lemsip.

CiderwithBuda Thu 07-Dec-17 04:42:30

No you don't need to call a doctor. Yellow or green mucus can be signs of infection but not enough to call a doctor in the middle of the night.
Even with infection some doctors don't recommend antibiotics.

Go to a pharmacy in the morning maybe and ask the pharmacist's advice.

Obv if you start having difficulty breathing it would be different but it does sound like a really bad cold or flu or sinus infection.

plagueplague Thu 07-Dec-17 04:53:08

Sorry, I really haven't had much sleep and wasn't clear. I wasn't thinking of calling a doctor now, I meant later.

My breathing is laboured but then anyone's would be with a sore throat and intermittent blocked nose I suppose.

I'm also autistic and hypersensitive to pain which doesn't help measure how bad it is either.

Thank you for the advice, I'll see if I can get to a pharmacist later on!

OhforfucksakeFay Thu 07-Dec-17 04:56:50

How's your chest and breathing? Are you wheezy?

plagueplague Thu 07-Dec-17 05:03:34

Breathing hurts, which is fun, but if I take it very slow I can take a deep breath. It seems a lot slower and noisier than usual, but then my resting heart rate is 10 above where it usually is, so maybe it's working harder, and my senses are all over the place anyway.

I really am sorry if this was a stupid question to ask by the way, I'm never sure of the rules.

CiderwithBuda Thu 07-Dec-17 05:04:45

Sudafed or Sinutabs are good for sinus pain.

And or Vicks or Olbas oil. On a tissue and/or use in a bowl of hot water to steam.

Night Nurse might help you sleep.

I do feel for you. It's miserable feeling so rotten.

If you don't feel up to going out - and prob best not to if you can avoid it - could you get your DH to go when he wakes up?

CiderwithBuda Thu 07-Dec-17 05:07:38

Don't apologise. It's fine! It's sometimes hard to be logical when you are sick. And everything seems worse in th middle of the night.

Laboured breathing sounds a bit more than just a cold. You could have a chest infection. I think I would try to get a GP appointment in that case.

OhforfucksakeFay Thu 07-Dec-17 05:30:57

I think GP in the morning, to check for a chest infection

huha Thu 07-Dec-17 05:51:15

Do you have a fever OP? If so, I would go see the GP.

I had what you describe a couple weeks ago. It lasted around 10 days. I took day nurse and night nurse and tried to rest as much as possible. I didn't have a fever though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now