Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

Sleeve biting??

(7 Posts)
AddALemon Mon 04-Dec-17 11:26:27

My ds (4) has started school this year, he won't stop biting his sleeve! It's driving me mad, he has so far ruined 4 school jumpers (there like a woollen material so when they get wet and he's biting they stretch and he looks like laurence llewelyn bowen!!) does anyone have any ideas how to make him stop?
I think it may be a nerve thing and it's definitely related to starting school as he didn't do it at nursery
If anyone has any tips me and my bank balance would be very appreciative!

butterfly198615 Mon 04-Dec-17 19:01:05

My son used to do this , he had massive holes in the sleeves. He even started on his jackets.

My.son was having a horrid time in school and once we changed school he stopped doing it due to.less stress.

I asked him why he did it and had a little chat he said it relaxed him when there was too much noise or he when was getting bullied which is why we moved schools half way through year one.
I'm not saying this is why your son is doing it , it could just be habit.
One of my son's teachers recommend something to have in his hand bluetack or something to squeeze and not chew

Cantusethatname Mon 04-Dec-17 19:35:50

My youngest did this. Just school jumpers and just one arm. I cut off the arm and hemmed it in desperation
In his case he had undiagnosed ADHD and I think found school very stressful and difficult. Several years on and with medication this has long stopped.
(I am not in any way saying your child has ADHD but I do think this is an anxiety/non coping mechanism)

Cantusethatname Mon 04-Dec-17 19:36:41

I mean the sleeve not his arm.

Mybestusername Wed 06-Dec-17 07:20:49

My DD used to do this - I gave her pieces of cloth to keep up her sleeve and chew when she felt the urge instead of ruining jumpers. She stopped after a while smile

Zaurak Wed 06-Dec-17 07:24:31

I used to do this - I chewed holes through stuff. It was anxiety - have you explored if he may be struggling with something?

I’d get him something to bite instead - silicon bracelet or a textured hanky to keep up his sleeve?

Orchid93 Thu 07-Dec-17 13:12:07

Have you thought of something like this? www.amazon.co.uk/Training-Development-Necklace-Teething-NeonGreen/dp/B06XHJRZMT/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=sensory+chew+necklace&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1512652294&sr=8-7

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now