Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

Twins won't sleep

(38 Posts)
Mobydick100 Sat 02-Dec-17 23:41:44

Ah! 6th night in a row baby twins sleeping really badly. Last night i had about an hour sleep other nights slightly more. I am so tired. Feels like the longest night of my life. Husband working away . Was supposed to have friend helping tonight but she's ill so I'm on my own. Anyone else wondering if the night will ever end?

CrmbleBee Sun 03-Dec-17 08:58:53

Are they in the same crib? Research has shown that, provided you follow safety guidelines, that can help twins sleep better.

Crumbs1 Sun 03-Dec-17 09:58:58

Mine used to basically entertain each other. I put them in their cot and left them to it from about six months.
How old are yours? It is quite hard initially. Are they distressed or just awake? If just wake, I’d let them get on with it.

Mobydick100 Sun 03-Dec-17 13:39:48

They are 6 weeks old. They are very upset- not just awake.

scater Sun 03-Dec-17 20:35:30

I really feel for you, I've been there. It will pass. I'd decamp to the living room overnight, use carrycots/Moses baskets and a duvet on sofa for you. Have the tv on low and just sleep when you can and drink lots of tea. You can live like that for dayswinkI survived on tea/snickers/judge Judy with my twins.

Mayhemmumma Sun 03-Dec-17 20:37:00

Sounds awfully hard. But remember this will pass!! You will sleep again I promise.

scater Sun 03-Dec-17 20:37:13

Ooh and also: have you tried a white noise app on your phone? Could they be a bit refluxy, if so keep them upright on you for a good ten mins after a feedxxx.

Plastictattoo Sun 03-Dec-17 20:39:53

I used to feed them together. So if one woke, I would wake her sister and feed them at the same time. Then they would both be asleep at the same time for a while.
It's very early days yet. Have you got any kind of routine yet? That took me a very long timesmile

namechangedtoday15 Sun 03-Dec-17 20:40:41

Six weeks is still the crazy time. I'd put them in the same cot, swaddle them and grit your teeth. When is your husband back?

Queenofthesheds Sun 03-Dec-17 20:41:55

You need a night nanny. Ours was the same cost as a babysitter and she stayed downstairs with them between midnight and six for 3 nights a week. Get one. Call your HV, put a notice in your local nurseries, anything so long as they’re DBS’d and can manage babies.

Queenofthesheds Sun 03-Dec-17 20:42:59

We had 2 Amby nests too and tied them together.

Doubletrouble42 Sun 03-Dec-17 20:43:56

sending hugs. Mine are a year old and six weeks was the worst. I thought they'd never sleep! They do, in the end, and you look back and feel proud you survived it. My advice is dont do anything thats not absolutely immediately necessary. Fuck housework everything, just eat sleep when you can etc. Even if thats only between 9am and 12 noon! If you get visitors tell them to bugger off unless they are going to babysit while you grab a nap xx

Note3 Sun 03-Dec-17 20:44:04

There's a six week growth spurt so that might be affecting how settled they are. Have a Google as there are some key growth spurts over next few months

Kleokat Sun 03-Dec-17 20:45:24

My dp went away for a month when dd was tiny and it was hell. Dd was a real miseable baby abd cried non stop for the month. I had no help from anyone in fact I didn't see anyone else for a month hmm

Just remember it will not be like this forever. Do what ever you need to do to get through it. It will get better with time, it feels like it never will while you are in the middle of it but it will.

SleightOfMind Sun 03-Dec-17 20:55:56

Oh god those early days are hard!

It does change and get better fast. They start to interact with each other from a few months and it’s utterly adorable.
You just have to keep staggering through the tough bit.
Approach this as a mission and have a decent, well-equipped work space.
Where are you trying to settle them at the moment & how are you feeding them (bf, ff or mixed - doesn’t matter for them but does make a difference to how you need your space to be).
Definitely both in the same cot if poss. They do settle better together.

My DTs are 4 now but I will never forget how crazy those first few months were.

Mobydick100 Mon 04-Dec-17 02:10:31

Thanks everyone. It does feel like these days will never end. I'm doing breast, expressing and bottle.
I've tried white noise- doesn't make much difference to them unfortunately.
We do have a bit of a routine but we are still figuring it all out.
I'm so tired I'm making mistakes and forgetting stuff. In the morning I often can't remember how the night has been.
Husband works a way a lot-hes always here at weekends but can't usually help in week.
At the moment they are in different cots- I'll try putting them in one big cot.
Sometimes they upset each other- one cries- the other joins in.

mumisnotmyname Mon 04-Dec-17 03:21:26

Nine years ago I could have written your post. It was grim. I refused a night nanny because I couldn't face showing a professional what chaos we were in, I was an idiot, get help if you can.
Other good advice you have been given that helped me was swaddling, feeding together on same schedule even if one had to be woken up and them sleeping together (this works well until one projectile vomits into the others face! I got a routine around 11 weeks and things got easier. I also expressed at night, again looking back I should have knocked that on the head early doors. Good luck. It does get better.

YoungYolandaYorgensen39 Mon 04-Dec-17 06:42:01

Ugh, I do not miss those days...

As Doubletrouble says, just drop anything that isn’t essential. Call someone, anyone, to come over for a few hours so you can have a bath/shower/sleep. Try to feed feed as much as possible through out the day and early evening as they’re possibly having a growth spurt. Feed yourself well too.

Not sure what the current advice re swaddling is but mine slept better swaddled and placed side by side in the cot when they were tiny. Also, when one woke to feed in the night I would wake the other too otherwise Sod’s law would have it that I’d just get the first off to sleep and settled down myself when the second would pipe up.

Hang in there OP... it’s not easy but by hook or by crook you will get through.

jobjobjob Mon 04-Dec-17 07:30:55

OP where do you live? If you're close by to me, I'm not currently working I'd gladly give you a few hours help.

Mobydick100 Tue 05-Dec-17 00:45:50

Thanks so much for all the comments and support- it is really helping me.

I am asking family and friends for help and I always accept their offers of help but I then feel bad that I'm needing help and wonder if they think I can't be doing a very good job if I need so much help. I've actually only had small amounts of friends n family help but still leaves me wondering how they are viewing me/ do they think I'm not a great mum for needing help.
Not sure I could afford a night Nanny but I may be wrong. I shall look into this.
Reading comments here makes me feel a bit better -that coping with baby twins really is difficult.

Addictedtothisbloodyforum Tue 05-Dec-17 00:52:31

Co sleeping was key to good sleep for me . Have u tried this ? It saved my sanity

Addictedtothisbloodyforum Tue 05-Dec-17 00:53:38

Let the babies sleep with you . I promise you will get more sleep

Shiggle Tue 05-Dec-17 01:26:12

I had a night nanny with 1. I think you're a hero for managing to keep 2 alive on you're own! Seriously get a nightnanny. It's insane to do twins on your own.

Mobydick100 Tue 05-Dec-17 04:48:53

How would I go about co-sleeping with two when I'm on my own? I'm guessing I lie in the middle with one baby either side of me? On bad nights i sometimes take both babies to bed with me- I let one sleep in my arms (I'm sat half upright against pillows) and the other baby lies on the mattress right next to me. I alternate babies based on who is most distressed. They are definitely happiest being as neat to me as possible.
Just now a miracle has happened...both babies are currently asleep at the same time!...well sort of...they are both starting to move. This could go either way...maybe they'll sleep properly...give me a few hours sleep (doubtful) or maybe they will be crying in a minute.
They are currently in two different cots- putting they in one sounds a good plan.

Queenofthesheds Tue 05-Dec-17 11:37:51

I had a side sleeper cot and both twins went in that and I slept along side.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now