Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

Is this a CF?

(10 Posts)
Socks23 Fri 01-Dec-17 21:24:26

Apologies for bad grammar. I am in hospital having had surgery. The hospital is private although does provide specific procedures on the nhs. So I was in a twin room with a lady having the same surgery as me but on the nhs. It turns out she is British but has spent the last 40 plus overseas. Having found out she required this surgery back to the UK. Her family all live in a certain area, 3 kids, other relatives and she went to stay with them. She then went to a gp, got diagnosed, referred and chose this hospital as it was predominantly private and had a short waiting list. So her and her husband arrived by bus here the night before the surgery and installed themselves in a b&b. Clever you might think. But the downfall happened today when she was told instead of the 5 night stay she wanted it is only going to be 2 or 3, so discharge tomorrow or Sunday. Her progress was good, well as expected. The question I was asked - should she risk trying to stay until Mon as the trains don't run Sunday, buses are hard due to op or leave tomorrow? Her family are an hour and a bit away by bus or train? Is this incredibly cheeky?

Addictedtothisbloodyforum Fri 01-Dec-17 21:26:37

Don't understand at all what your on about

MargoChanning Fri 01-Dec-17 21:26:55

Tell her you have no idea and she should call her family for advice.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 01-Dec-17 21:28:08

How could she try and stay til monday?

Salva Fri 01-Dec-17 21:31:45

Is she having the surgery on the nhs and is trying to kerp the bed for 2 more nights (so unnecessary cost)

I thought the CF would be about her using the nhs when she wasn’t entitled to.

OhNoOhNo Sat 02-Dec-17 20:25:20

I thought you lose your entitlement to NHS treatment when you've been out the country for a long time?

EmmaGrundyForPM Sun 03-Dec-17 05:07:25

My understanding is that if you're in receipt of a UK pension and you live in the EU or EEA then you're entitled to NHS treatment. It sounds as though this womam might be a pensioner but the OP doesn't say whether she's normally resident in Europe.

However, it is not acceptable to try to stay on in hospital because there are no buses on a Sunday.

EasterRobin Sun 03-Dec-17 06:12:53

She shouldn't try to stay an extra night in hospital. She can go back to her B&b for a few days if she really can't persuade a relative to pick her up. I would think Sunday is an ideal day for relatives to collect as they presumably won't be at work.

Socks23 Sun 03-Dec-17 17:07:03

She is still here, has been telling anyone who will listen she feels nauseous so can't be discharged. I was talking to one of the nurses and she told me they are going to have to ask her to leave tomorrow. It is not fair to expect to be able to stay just because she wants to when the waiting lists are so long and the buses will be running so no excuse. Her daughters flat has a lift but she is saying what if the lift breaks, but they can't keep everyone for what if's. I don't think I would have been as polite as the nurse, she was really good, firm but not in any way rude. She said it is quite rare to get people like this.

YoungYolandaYorgensen39 Mon 04-Dec-17 11:06:38

How is it any of your business? The nurse shouldn’t have discussed with you when this woman’s discharge was planned either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now