Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

Fraudulent ticket sales

(14 Posts)
orvilletheduck Sun 12-Nov-17 00:22:04

Have name changed for obvious reasons.

My DH returned home from an all day bender today and confessed that he had sold tickets we have for an upcoming concert online. This is bad enough, but he sold the same tickets to three different people. It gets worse; as the tickets hadn’t yet been delivered, to show he was a genuine seller he sent the buyers the ticket reference details, his name, phone number and our address!! I asked him what possessed him to do this and why did he give out our address. He said he needed the money and he wanted to reassure those interested that he wasn’t trying to rip them off. Except that’s exactly what he was doing!

He doesn’t have the cash to pay them back so that isn’t an option.

What should I do about this? Please don’t tell me it’s his problem, he gave out our address so it’s very much my problem too!

SleepingStandingUp Sun 12-Nov-17 00:24:47

Why does he need the money so badly and what else dodgy stuff has he landed you in? It is absolutely both your problem 9because of how he has done it. Do you have. Kids?

AlexanderHamilton Sun 12-Nov-17 00:25:23

He has to pay them back. Either that or be taken to court.

ThreeFish Sun 12-Nov-17 00:26:46

Well he may get the cash to pay them back. You're going to have people at your door or on the phone, reasonably expecting tickets or refund.

Why does he not have cash to pay them back? He must know he sold the same thing over and over again?

MyKingdomForBrie Sun 12-Nov-17 00:28:05

You have to let them know ASAP that there has been a mix up and you need to refund the money. Beg/borrow it from somewhere, no other option.

Your DH clearly has problems - drink? Gambling?

orvilletheduck Sun 12-Nov-17 00:52:38

There is a huge backstory here and I apologise for the drip feed, but I just wanted some advice as to how to tackle this particular issue.
He is an alcoholic, he’s borrowed a lot from people he knows to fund his drinking and was trying to pay some back. I think initially he meant to just sell the tickets we actually have, but when someone practically begged for them and offered to pay immediately it seemed like too good an opportunity to make some easy money. Being an alcoholic he didn’t think it through.
Had it not been for the disclosure of our address, I’d have let him sort it, or face the consequences. But I don’t want angry people at our door demanding tickets that we don’t have.

I know how desperate he can be so this sort of drama is not unusual. I know more than I ever thought I would about how addicts work, so please don’t lecture me.

Cactusjelly00 Sun 12-Nov-17 00:55:59

Leave him, move out and let him deal with it

KiaraS Sun 12-Nov-17 00:58:19

This is theft. And fraud. Sounds like you’re having to put up with a lot. Does he realise that this is a criminal offence? That he could be arrested? If I had bought the tickets and they weren’t delivered I would definitely call the police so I think this is might be what you’re facing. He needs proper help. What’s he going to sell next?? I hope that this horrid incident is a turning point for you OP. Whatever you decide, don’t let this be your life from this point. Good luck.

orvilletheduck Sun 12-Nov-17 01:10:13

I won’t be moving out, but thanks for the suggestion.

He realises what he’s done, that’s why he told me. But he’s an addict so consequences don’t matter to him at the time. I suspect much of the cash went on booze and some on paying people back (so he can borrow from them again sometime).

After two years of living with his alcoholism I am going to LTB, well he’s going to leave me and move out, I plan to see a solicitor next week to start the ball rolling. Not because of this specifically, but because he’s never going to stop drinking.

SleepingStandingUp Sun 12-Nov-17 01:13:02

So he walks away and you get the crazy people at the door? Then I guess all you can do if he won't contact them is to wait for the door to go - them or Police and be honest. I wouldn't disclose his address to the people he has defrauded but I would to the Police.

So sorry he's dumped you in this situation

orvilletheduck Sun 12-Nov-17 01:20:25

I could try to find the cash to pay them back, and the tickets arrived while he was out today (he doesn’t know this) so one of them could get what they paid for. I no longer bail him out of his messes because I know it doesn’t help the situation, but would it be best to do so in this situation? Or should I tell the Police myself and let them deal with it? I don’t know if this would stop people coming to the house though. I don’t want him to get into trouble but I’m done with protecting him from himself.

SleepingStandingUp Sun 12-Nov-17 01:22:56

Any chance he would get a loan from somewhere to pay you to pay them? Does he have contact details for them? How much did he sell them for?

orvilletheduck Sun 12-Nov-17 01:35:54

It totals over £500, he sold them for more than face value.
All means of borrowing on credit were exhausted by him long ago. I think he’s loaned money from almost everyone he knows so it’s unlikely he’ll find someone willing to help him again. He is very good at convincing people to give him money though (should have been in sales!)

SleepingStandingUp Sun 12-Nov-17 01:38:10

If you have a way of contacting them i would be honest. Tell them DH has sold them fraudulently and has no way of repaying them and as suchit is their call what action they take but please be advised he no longer lives here . give it Keats to whoever he sold them to first

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now