Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

Wii console - help the clueless buy one

(7 Posts)
Austentatious Sat 11-Nov-17 07:56:41

I've started looking for a Wii and am already confused by the experience! I don't need the majority of the upgraded functions of Wii U because we've got Apple TV and I don't want to give a 10 year old internet shopping access of their very own. Only advantage as far as I can tell is having the games on the device instead of separate disc?
I think however that the old Wii has been discontinued as it's mainly used / reconditioned units for sale - am I mad to consider one of them? Do they get software glitches?
Finally- there seems to be an array of extras that are needed (making the £80 reconditioned unit even more attractive) - other than extra controller, dance mat - what do you consider "essential" to get the most out of the thing?

Actually I lie - not finally as one more - does it take ages to set up each time you want to use it with so many additional components? Out tv already has a DVD / Apple TV / sky box attached - I think that there will need to be reconnecting each time? We've already got an old PlayStation of dh's which hasn't been used in years but I bet some dance and karaoke games will work on that?

NaughtyRed82 Thu 16-Nov-17 03:40:38

I bought my daughter a wii years ago as she really wanted one for the just dance games. The massive problem with them and reason why they've probably stopped doing them now is there's very limited/small memory/storage use on them. We use to play just a few games not tons and then the memory is all full. The hustbdance games gave options of buying and downloading extra songs onto it but think she only ever got about two because no room to store and download another! Was a good computer to play at the time but ridiculous to make one with such a small memory on though. Might be better looking at diff console. Look online for games that will work with husbands console, depends how old the PlayStation is but can prob get some cheap games for it from CEX to try out

Phosphorus Thu 16-Nov-17 04:52:32

You'd be better off with a more modern console. At the very least a PS3, which also has a motion sensor.

Honestly though, I'd buy a Switch or Xbox One.

You'll get years more use out of them.

Interet shopping/web browsers aren't really an issue as long as you remember to set parental controls and don't link a card to the eShop.

Mollypolly2610 Sat 18-Nov-17 00:15:56

Where are you in the uk as I can sell you one cheap we don’t use it It has the stand on exercise thing and 2 hand sets and some games

Migraleve Sat 18-Nov-17 00:25:09

I wouldn’t buy such an outdated console if I’m honest.

FrustratedTeddyLamp Sat 18-Nov-17 00:26:02

Wii’s are essentially obsolete now, Nintendo’s newest console is the switch, I believe they’ve stopped supporting the Wii as it’s successor Wii U was a bust.

FrustratedTeddyLamp Sat 18-Nov-17 00:29:39

But if you persevere with the Wii you basically need a nunchuck, Wii more ( multiple for multiplayer ) maybe a Wii board and certain games will need extras got example a dance mat.

The Wii u main difference Is the ability to play games with the main controller that has a screen you can play games on instead of a TV

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now