Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

Going to explode please help.

(55 Posts)
EllenLydia Fri 10-Nov-17 07:17:18

I had surgery over the weekend and lots of codeine. I haven't pooed since. Last night I took 4 movicol. This morning I feel very uncomfortable but nothing is moving.
I can't drive and and temporarily physically limited.
Any suggestions?
Please...

Bibbidee Fri 10-Nov-17 07:21:19

Prunes and orange juice?

WhoWants2Know Fri 10-Nov-17 07:22:52

It’s especially hard if your movement is limited and you can’t “walk it out”. Dried fruit often helps me, and when you do feel the urge then try to go with your feet up on a footstool to ease the process.

readyforapummelling Fri 10-Nov-17 07:26:17

Glycerol Suppositories will soften you up as your poo will be quite hard as codeine absorbs moisture from the bowels.
Keep the suppository in for as long as you can and stay very near the toilet. The relief will be massive!

readyforapummelling Fri 10-Nov-17 07:27:22

Hmmm just saw your limited on movement.

Soak your bottom with some warm water that should help.

EllenLydia Fri 10-Nov-17 07:27:37

Thank you so much for replying. I feel isolated in a pod of post operative pain and distended stomach.
I have grapefruit juice and sultanas!
Contemplating if I can walk to pharmacy.

daydreambelieber Fri 10-Nov-17 07:28:14

Call your GP who may prescribe and enema

Snap8TheCat Fri 10-Nov-17 07:28:56

Sugar free polos!

blondebuddha Fri 10-Nov-17 07:31:19

Pull your knees up to your belly as far as you can and back down again. Slowly and don't hurt yourself but that small movement may help. Also massage your lower back x

rizlett Fri 10-Nov-17 07:33:23

Curry.

rizlett Fri 10-Nov-17 07:33:36

Dorset cereal?

EllenLydia Fri 10-Nov-17 07:38:25

I can't imagine eating anything feeling nauseous.
I have some food at home but dizzy and limited.
A bath might help.
Getting out of bed still a challenge.

picklemepopcorn Fri 10-Nov-17 07:40:42

Sit on the loo with your feet on a stool so your knees are up. Take a strong coffee and a book with you.

Flax or chia seeds, prunes, apricots, plenty of water...

I have to warn you, it can be unpleasant! I’ve been in your position. When I finally went, I felt lightheaded and exhausted afterward- I had to go back to bed for a couple of hours.

welliesandsequins Fri 10-Nov-17 07:40:43

I would take more movicol this morning. Also are you drinking lots with it? Because it works by drawing water into the bowel. If you’re not drinking enough water it won’t work.
Hope you feel better soon!

picklemepopcorn Fri 10-Nov-17 07:41:32

You don’t sound well enough to walk to the pharmacy. Can you ask a friend to go for you?

PickAChew Fri 10-Nov-17 07:43:51

Second the glycerine suppositories. Overdoing all the laxative foods and bowel stimulants can lead to nothing more than painful cramps when you've been taking codeine.

ferrier Fri 10-Nov-17 07:44:23

Prunes (tinned is fine), lots of water, hot bath.
Agree with pp about light headed and needing to recover afterwards.

FoofFighter Fri 10-Nov-17 07:46:09

Tons of water

endofthelinefinally Fri 10-Nov-17 07:46:31

I can never understand why codeine is prescribed without appropriate advice and medication to deal with the inevitable constipation.
I had massive impaction following surgery 20 years ago. It just made very painful post op situation 10 times worse.
Glycerine suppositories are the best treatment IME, just to get things moving.

EllenLydia Fri 10-Nov-17 07:50:53

Ok you know when you say, ' if there is anything I can do, let me know.'
Can you text' bring suppositories, let your self in , then run and hide.'
I do have a shy teenager at home before school they could go with a note but I can't write after the surgery. They would be pushed for time and embarrassed to ring school to say they were coming late because ..

I am going to slither downstairs on my bum and return with coffee in a covered cup.
I will keep you updated.

EllenLydia Fri 10-Nov-17 08:00:09

The weak but determined explorer sets off on the intrepid expedition. Armed only with a t-shirt , socks and gritted teeth they set off into the daunting world of downstairs farting as they go.

DayKay Fri 10-Nov-17 08:00:36

Prune juice

CiderwithBuda Fri 10-Nov-17 08:02:30

At least you still have your sense of humour...........

I'm sure a friend would pick up the suppositories for you. They could just put them through the letterbox.

Caulk Fri 10-Nov-17 08:02:37

I had this after ovarian surgery. A friend who is a nurse recommend senna and a laxative as senna is a softener. It worked for me, but took a while. Pooing after major abdominal surgery is the worst.

helpmum2003 Fri 10-Nov-17 08:05:26

If you have had abdominal surgery it may be worth speaking to your GP just to make sure it couldn't be a complication of surgery.

Otherwise I agree drink LOADS. 4 movicol is a lot so any more may not help and could make you feel worse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now