Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

Am I too emotional or depressed?

(5 Posts)
NellyNouNou Thu 09-Nov-17 11:02:08

I keep crying at things. Mostly news stories on tv. I cried and cried at the fundraising piece on celebrity goggle box where the mum died of cancer. I cried at the Rohingya refugee stories where the children were dying. I'm tearful writing this about them. These are just two examples. I don't know what's the matter with me. I feel like i want to do something to fix all the world's problems, but it's not in my power. And I have enough on my own plate that I need to focus on.

I don't feel down generally. I have a lot of stress in my life but much much less than in the past. I'm a year out of a very long bad relationship where I was ground down to nothing. I feel I'm getting my life back on track and am very positive about the future.

I would feel stupid going to the gp about this. I probably need counselling to deal with things in my past but I just don't feel I could open up to someone about any of it. And it's too traumatic just thinking about doing it. I want to move forward but maybe my history is holding me back.

Not sure what to do, or if I need to do anything at all. Just putting my random thoughts here is a bit helpful. Happy to take on board any thoughts or ideas from lovely MNers if you have got this far!

NellyNouNou Thu 09-Nov-17 11:04:20

Sorry my post was so self indulgent. I just don't have anyone in RL I can talk to.

Jayfee Thu 09-Nov-17 11:09:43

Definitely don't watch the really sad stuff. Do what you can to improve the lives of those closest to you. Realise your own worth.

NellyNouNou Thu 09-Nov-17 11:14:04

Thanks jayfee. I try and turn it over if I see it coming sometimes. But other times I feel I'm drawn in and HAVE to watch it. Like I have a responsibility to know (and act/donate) just as we all do. If everyone turned it over then these problems wouldn't ever get resolved. The public has a duty to care. I realise that sounds sanctimonious, sorry. I know I need to look after myself and my own. I think I have got much better at doing that over the past year.

JaneJeffer Thu 09-Nov-17 11:14:44

It just means you're emphatic and a good cry is good for releasing stress and toxins from the body but try to balance it out by watching or reading something funny and having a good laugh too. And help where you can but realise you can't help everyone.

Watching too much news isn't good and to me it's not natural to know all the troubles going on in the world. Years ago you would only have known what was happening in your own area and that's more than enough to deal with. Maybe try to help a local cause.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now