Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

Nusery/preschool report. Can someone please help me, what does this mean?

(9 Posts)
Doodlepoppop Wed 08-Nov-17 18:14:15

My ds is 43 months he has just got his pre school report. It is 30-50 developing and 40-60 emerging throughout his report. What does a this mean?
I was under the impression developing is higher than emerging so why is the higher months emerging confused
Can someone please help me make sense of this if the know what it means.
Is he doing well or not? Is it right first his age?
I'm confused.
Thank you smile

Doodlepoppop Wed 08-Nov-17 18:14:53

For* his age

1981trouble Wed 08-Nov-17 18:25:04

It goes emerging, developing,secure per age range roughly.

So 30-50 developing is lower than 40-60 emerging

The complexness of skills you’d expect a 30-50 month old would be less than the skills a 40-60 months old.

If kiddo is showing skills within the age range they are at any level then they are doing fine. If you really want to work at something go with the lowest rank but tbh at this age just living life will let them develop it fine

Doodlepoppop Wed 08-Nov-17 18:27:53

Does the 30-50 and 40-60 mean months as in age?

Blackqueen Wed 08-Nov-17 18:30:51

In my setting this would mean he was doing really well so I don't think you have anything to worry about. You are correct in thinking that developing is higher than emerging but these tems are used within each age band - ie: children roughly progress through 30-50 emerging, 30-50 developing, 30-50 secure then 40-60 emerging, 40-60 developing and then 40-60 secure. In reality there is a lot of overlap between 30-50 secure and 40-60 emerging and I would expect that children in either of these bands would be at a similar level.
I would also guess that your son is probably at 40-60 in the so called prime areas (PSED, CL & Physical) and at 30-50 in the other (specific) areas. (Although if not its nothing to worry about)
If he is only 43 months now then he has until the end of his reception year (July 2019) to get to the end of the 40-60 band so he has loads of time - it is rare that I assess any of my F1s in the 40-60 band before my December assessments.

Marcine Wed 08-Nov-17 18:31:16

Yes, age in months. If means he is doing exactly as he should for his age.

carringtonm Wed 08-Nov-17 18:32:11

I taught nursery for 4 years before moving to year 1 this year and we would always expect a child to finish their nursery year around the 40-60m emerging mark, possibly heading into 40-60 developing, so your child appears to be working at a good level. Different settings will judge differently though, as it is based on teacher judgement which is hard to moderate!

For clarification, the age band system goes:
30-50 emerging
30-50 developing
30-50 secure
40-60 emerging etc.
So he is progressing through the bands.

I wouldn’t focus too much on his chronological age compared to the age on the band as they aren’t always a good fit, and means more to the school than the parents.

Blackqueen Wed 08-Nov-17 18:34:11

Yes - the 30-50 and 40-60 are age in months so between 40 and 50 months they could be in either bracket depending on how the setting works and both would be in the expected range

kimlo Wed 08-Nov-17 18:40:19

it means he's doing fine. Did they not talk you through it when they gave it to you? If not I would ask to speak to his key person at some point just for a quick chat to go through it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now