Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

What size of photograph (pixels?) do you need to have it printed on a canvas?

(28 Posts)
katymac Tue 07-Nov-17 15:42:35

I have a lovely one of DD & I think it would look great printed on a canvas

But I don't know if it's detailed enough or if I need to ask the Photographer for a 'better' copy

How do you know?

toffeepumpkins Tue 07-Nov-17 17:16:24

Find an online photo print company and upload it, they tell you then if the resolution is good enough for the size print that you want. I use Photobox and they do that.

katymac Tue 07-Nov-17 17:36:39

Thanks toffeepumpkins

Do they do a good job?

toffeepumpkins Tue 07-Nov-17 17:42:52

Yes, I use them for all my prints that are going on display. I only stopped using them when I got my own A2 printer.

katymac Tue 07-Nov-17 17:47:00

Ooo an A2 printer I'm jealous I only want a 6x6 or maybe 8x8, so I hope it's ok

BawbagBiggins Tue 07-Nov-17 17:50:26

Is the digital image yours to print? If you haven't purchased the digital file/ been granted printing rights and are trying to print from a low res proof, you would be on very dodgy ground getting it printed, as would the company that printed it.

Just curious as to why the photographer wouldn't give you the 'best' copy.

katymac Tue 07-Nov-17 18:10:43

I have an email which suggests she has sent the biggest version but I can't find it on dropbox - I have permission to use the picture in DD's portfolio both online, in print, as part of her CV, in our home, but not for money (If I understood the release right)

So I can't print it out & sell it, I can print it out and display it and DD can use it to get a job

TBH I have run out of wall to put pictures of DD so I normally keep the same frames & swop the pictures but this one is special

katymac Tue 07-Nov-17 18:17:17

I went hunting & DD has one in her dropbox that is 4.6 MB does that sound big? The note on it is "for your mum"

FunkyBarnYardBroom Tue 07-Nov-17 18:25:17

Depends on the size of the original image and the size you want to print at. Also the distance from which itll be viewed.

What dpi is the file?

katymac Tue 07-Nov-17 18:28:15

240 dpi

Dimensions 2590 x 3233

Bit depth 2

katymac Tue 07-Nov-17 18:45:34

I don't think it's going to work - it needs to be all at the front - too much of DD is off the edges

OK rethink

BawbagBiggins Tue 07-Nov-17 21:10:23

I would ask the photographer to crop the original image to the dimensions you want to print the canvas.

katymac Wed 08-Nov-17 09:16:57

I will - I may wait until after Christmas, as I know she is run off her feet with paid work - all needed for 'Christmas' & she won't charge us so it wouldn't be fair to ask now

TammySwansonTwo Fri 10-Nov-17 14:28:46

I got a large 50x70cm canvas of my twins from an iphone photo and it looks good. However, I do think framed photos actually look so much nicer so would do that personally!

TammySwansonTwo Fri 10-Nov-17 14:29:19

Also, when you buy a canvas you can have it so the image doesn't wrap round the sides, which can be white or black instead

katymac Fri 10-Nov-17 16:27:37

Thanks Tammy, I wonder if it would look better in a frame - what do you think?

IHaveACuntingPlan Fri 10-Nov-17 17:31:50

That's a beautiful photo and would look lovely in a frame.

TammySwansonTwo Fri 10-Nov-17 18:07:17

Wow, beautiful!

I guess it really depends on the style of your home and what else is around it on the walls etc. I'd probably either go for a black frame, or have one of the acrylic or metal prints done - they look a bit sturdier and more expensive. Or you can get floating frames for canvases which look nice too.

katymac Fri 10-Nov-17 19:31:59

My mum has a copy in a white frame which looks OK I guess, I just thought a canvas might look more impressive

Not sure now

IHaveACuntingPlan Fri 10-Nov-17 20:18:43

Canvas looks OK for some photos but a framed, mounted print of a photo such as yours, that looks more like fine art than a typical family snap, would look so much better and have a kind of timeless feel to it.

I would possibly get a print (it doesn't have to be big; an 8"x6" or 10"x8" would be fine depending on the aspect ratio) and take it to a framing place where you can choose the colour of the mount and have it cut so that the outer edge fits into a standard sized black frame, if that makes sense.

katymac Fri 10-Nov-17 20:32:48

Yes maybe

Lots of her photos while professionally done are still photos of DD - this one feels different some how, not sure why

I think I need to invest in a gallery <rolls eyes>

Redactio Fri 10-Nov-17 20:36:35

That is a fantastic photo. However you decide to keep it, definately do so.

Mynametodaywillbe Fri 10-Nov-17 20:36:49

You really need 300 dpi but on a canvas 240 might be ok.

TotemIcePole Fri 10-Nov-17 20:39:04

Beautiful picture. I would go for a black frame, rather than a canvas. To literally frame the moment.

katymac Fri 10-Nov-17 20:39:44

I've been told I have to get her online portfolio down to 12 & it's killing me! but that one is a favourite

I think someone who doesn't know her should choose - but I have a few months left to get it sorted & only one more photo coming I think

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now