Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

SATs - school offering extra tuition

(7 Posts)
CotswoldStrife Mon 06-Nov-17 18:12:58

My child's school have sent a letter home (and spoken to the pupils) about extra tuition after school for the SATs for some children - not all (my child is in the bottom set for maths). I am inclined to refuse their offer, as the SATs don't really benefit the pupils as far as I can see. Not all secondary schools seem to use them much either!

Has anyone else had any experience of this? I am really annoyed that they have spoken to the children about it even if they have portrayed it as practice (for the questions) and improving their knowledge. Is it just me that thinks it is more about getting the money results for the school?

I do intend to offer practice at home for the test, I just don't think that my child needs to stay behind for an hour one day a week.

I haven't replied yet but my child says they need an answer quickly hmm Not sure why there is such a rush as the proposed lessons don't start for a bit yet.

StepAwayFromCake Mon 06-Nov-17 18:17:37

My ds's school does this, too. Ds won't be attending. As you say, it does not benefit the child. If the school can't teach to the necessary standard during school hours, then they need to look at their methods, not lump more on the children.

HamSandWitches Mon 06-Nov-17 18:21:52

Yes, my dd had extra tuition and she done a lot better than expected. Due to her having some extra needs which were not addressed til yr 4 by the school she fell behind. Due to a change in head and new SENCO she got extra help in yr5 and extra tuition for SATS in yr6 which was also offered to other kids. She actually done as well as most of her peers and went into senior schòol with most of her friends in their class, we thought she would go in the lower sets, was a big surprise how well she done and she's managed to do well in senior school.

Catalufa Mon 06-Nov-17 18:25:03

They offer this at my DC’s school (for the lowest set) and most kids accept. It’s good for the school to get higher SATs results, but it’s also good for the kids to get some extra help in a smaller group situation. The teacher can give them more individual time to explain the bits they’re struggling with. I’d grab the opportunity with both hands if I were you! After all, some parents pay for extra tuition at this age and you’re getting it for free!

StepAwayFromCake Mon 06-Nov-17 18:41:45

If your dc is struggling, then maybe it's worthwhile for them. But not, IMO, for the majority of children.

Trb17 Mon 06-Nov-17 18:56:06

DD’s School did this for Maths.

Whilst it was primarily for SATs which I didn’t give two hoots about... it really really helped DD get some confidence in maths which had often been an area she struggled in.

So whilst SATs are no reason to do extra... consider first if your DC would benefit from the classes in general. Then decide on that basis is my advice.

CotswoldStrife Mon 06-Nov-17 21:47:32

Thanks for your responses. Although I don't mind doing extra practice at home for things I don't go in for formal additional tutoring on top of school. Although my child is in the bottom set for one subject they are normally near the top of it (if that makes sense!) so not usually struggling, as such. It really does make me think it's more for the school than the child.

I think a gentle bit of pressure has been applied to the children concerned so my child thinks they should do it and is now anxious and worried because of the difference in opinion between her parents and her teacher sad The way it has been handled has put me off the teacher tbh. I know the schools are under pressure but these are 10-11 year olds FFS!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now