Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

Tell me about Heelys

(13 Posts)
Frege Sun 05-Nov-17 20:14:39

My daughter (9) wants some of these for Christmas. I can't really get my head around them- can you walk normally in them? Can you wear them on normal pavements etc or do you need to go to the park?

treaclesoda Sun 05-Nov-17 20:20:21

They were invented by Satan himself to make little girls glide in a sinister fashion around supermarket aisles angry

However...they do love them so. You can take the little wheel things out and wear them as trainers but 1) you will have to issue threats of severe punishment to get her to agree to it and 2) they don't look very nice as trainers.

I made my daughter save up and buy her own because I hate them so much. Sure enough, she did. I only allowed her to wear them on the understanding that if even once she glided somewhere inappropriate (eg in a shop where other people, particularly elderly people, were standing) that they would go in the bin.

Thankfully her feet outgrew them eventually grin

treaclesoda Sun 05-Nov-17 20:21:49

You can wear them anywhere but you need a smooth surface to glide. Beware that sometimes it looks like a smooth surface but all it takes is a stone on the path to cause a face plant on the ground.

summersgoneaway Mon 06-Nov-17 22:33:49

My dd age 12 loves hers you can on pavement etc

doodle01 Mon 06-Nov-17 22:45:59

they need a flat surface and a lot of practice or she'll walk in them like she has been foot bound since birth or has no heels. Also used to be expensive for what they were. Tell her she'd have to wear a helmet and elbow guards !!

SmokyRobinson Mon 06-Nov-17 23:04:36

Mine love them, but it took them quite some time to get the hang of it, as they were used to rollerskates. They use them on smooth surfaces (love b&q trips now ), but also on smooth paths in parks.
I think they’re great, wish they were around when I was young!

Raven11 Mon 06-Nov-17 23:14:31

I had them as a teen and absolutely loved them. My nieces 5 & 7 absolutely love them (N2 learned to skate beforehand which helped). I'd recommend buying the proper heelys as cheaper versions don't work as well as the wheels become stuck and don't glide as well. Heelys wheels can be removed with the special part or a just with a metal spoon but then they just become clumpy shoes with an angled sole. I wouldn't recommend using them at the park as any mud just ends up stopping the barring. Also buy a bottle of wk40 to keep those wheels going. I cannot imagine going on city trips with my nieces without them as they can keep up with us without complaining of their legs getting tired.

summersgoneaway Wed 08-Nov-17 12:17:59

Took my dd now 12 ages to get used to them
Amazon is cheapest

TeenTimesTwo Wed 08-Nov-17 13:36:20

Or buy pre-owned.
There will be pairs on e-bay that have hardly been used ...

Corcra Thu 09-Nov-17 21:27:20

My dd (6) loves hers. She'd wear them all the time if I let her. One of her favourite things.

MaisyPops Thu 09-Nov-17 21:30:06

As a fun way to scoot about the pavement when playing out - fine whatever they seem fun

As a piece of footwear that enables parents to ignore their children as they scoot around shops and supermarkets being royal pains in the backside to all other shoppers - they are bloody infurating and shiuld be banned

sqidsin Sat 11-Nov-17 14:46:46

Pleased I've found this thread as my nine year old has also put these on her Christmas list!

I'm confused though - should I get the ones with one wheel or two? She can ice skate if that makes a difference...

treeofhearts Sun 12-Nov-17 22:29:22

(love b&q trips now)

Oh very sensible. hmm Well she'll know about it when a pallet truck comes around the corner, won't she.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now