Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

Would you consider this to be above board?

(11 Posts)
WhereTheFuckIsWonderWoman Sun 05-Nov-17 15:07:44

For a child to be considered as living at a particular address would it be enough for the adult in receipt of tax credit and child benefits to be registered there and for the child to be spending 4 nights per week at that address?

Bombardier25966 Sun 05-Nov-17 15:11:25

I think you're asking if you can claim CTC if the child is resident 4 nights out of 7. If so, that is fine.

If that's not what you mean please ask again, with some punctuation!

Be aware that adding a child to an existing claim may prompt a transfer to Universal Credit, depending on where you are.

WhereTheFuckIsWonderWoman Sun 05-Nov-17 15:19:19

Sorry about the lack of punctuation blush believe it or not I am actually quite competent with the English language, but I was struggling to articulate my query blush

No it's not about claiming CTCs or CB. It's about living in the right catchment area for a school.

Purpleforest Sun 05-Nov-17 15:22:36

For school catchment issues it's weekday nights that matter. So if your DC was with you Friday to Tuesday (4 nights) and with their other parent Tuesday to Friday (3 nights) it would be their other parent's house that was considered their main home.

CB, tax credits, etc I think are only used if parents are disputing which of them is the resident parent

WhereTheFuckIsWonderWoman Sun 05-Nov-17 15:26:47

Thanks Purple. She'd be with me the whole time, no other parent involved with this scenario. There's a waiting list for the school we want and I can only apply to join the list if we're living in catchment. The problem is that this would mean living in one area while she still needed to be attending her existing school. The two aren't close enough together to make it work living in the new catchment the whole time.

tellmehowtoget Sun 05-Nov-17 16:08:57

If you would be living in a catchment area part time, purely to enable your child to attend a school that they wouldn't usually be in the catchment area for then this is classed as fraud and you could get into a lot of trouble. Even if people rent a home in the new catchment area and then return to their family home once their child has got a school space then they can still have their place revoked.

tellmehowtoget Sun 05-Nov-17 16:11:00

Moving into rented accommodation in the catchment area-when can I safely move back?
Here is a link when someone else has asked.

Purpleforest Sun 05-Nov-17 16:46:42

I don't think that'll count then. As presumably it's not the weekday nights that she'd be living there. Your options would be to move now, and transfer her to a different primary school for the rest of Y6, or move at the end of the year. That would mean applying from your current address, with another school as a back up, then let them know the change of address in the summer. If the school isn't oversubscribed she'll get a place anyway no matter how far away you live. If it is, she'll go up the waiting list when you move.

I think school admissions teams are pretty sceptical about children having two homes suddenly during Y6.

WhereTheFuckIsWonderWoman Sun 05-Nov-17 17:44:52

Ok, just to clear a few things up: DD isn't year 6 and the house move will eventually be permanent. If it wasn't for the waiting list problem we'd be making it a full time move sooner, but I'm feeling stuck as to how we manage it any other way. We are fortunate that we own both the property we currently live in as well as the one we are moving to. There is no dodgy renting-for-the-sake-of-a-school-place going on. We're moving anyway, I just trying to find a manageable way of doing it.

Sorry if I'm not making it clear.

TeenTimesTwo Wed 08-Nov-17 19:36:26

I can only apply to join the list if we're living in catchment.

I don't think that's true. You can apply from anywhere in England (or UK not sure) (presuming school is England). Just you won't be very high up the waiting list. The bottom line is that if you live 100 miles away and they have a space and no waiting list for that year then they have to give it to you.

I think the only legal way (if you can't move and commute to old school) would be:
- move properly
- apply for schools, get one even if not the preferred one
- wait until you are top of waiting list for preferred school, and move schools

@admission @tiggytape @prh47bridge may be able to advise further.

HouseworkIsAPain Wed 08-Nov-17 22:19:28

Would the adult be paying council tax there? Is it their main residence for banking, doctors, etc?

My local authority lets seperated parents decide which address to use, so long as there is shared care and agreement between parents on the address.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now