Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

Engagement ring slides around finger - worth getting resized?

(12 Posts)
MeredithMorgan Sun 29-Oct-17 11:36:19

I recently got engaged and received a beautiful art deco diamond ring which I am now surgically attached to. The problem is, while it doesn't fall off my finger even when I shake it hard, it keeps sliding round which is really annoying, especially after washing hands etc. I'm pregnant too so worried it will fit even worse after I give birth.

Will it fit me better after the wedding ring is on too, does that make a difference? Or should I take the plunge and get it resized now? I'm reluctant to leave it with someone for a week as I can't bear to part with it and would be paranoid they'd switch the diamond!

Chasingsquirrels Sun 29-Oct-17 11:39:39

Tbh as you are pregnant I'd leave getting it resized until after your body is back to normal after the birth.
What about ring size reducers? Search on ebay - even if no good you will have only wasted a couple of quid.

SoupDragon Sun 29-Oct-17 11:43:39

I definitely wouldn't get it resized whilst you're pregnant.

I find that rings often twist round on my finger though, especially if they have a stone in. They have to be big enough to fit over your knuckle which often means they 're slightly loose on the finger. My solitaire twists on the finger of my right hand even though it is really really hard to get it over my knuckle - I couldn't have it made smaller!

C0untDucku1a Sun 29-Oct-17 11:45:21

Dont get it resized until way after youve given birth!
The wedding ring will not stop it moving around.

thatdearoctopus Sun 29-Oct-17 11:54:11

I have this problem at the moment. I've lost quite a bit of weight, but have further to go, so am reluctant to get them re-sized yet. And my eternity ring has already been altered years ago, but I heard that it's not a good idea to do that more than once or twice as it weakens them.

Not sure what to do really, as it's really annoying me keep swivelling them round, only for them to immediately swivel back.

MeredithMorgan Sun 29-Oct-17 12:11:35

Squirrels cheers - that contraption looks like it would do the trick in the meantime!

Thanks for all advice, I will hold off until way after I've had the baby and hope it doesn't fall off in the meantime. I'm getting married Feb so will just put the wedding ring temporarily on top of it to hold it in place!

Thatdearoctopus - resizing down doesn't weaken it I don't think? a9as they can probably do it just by adding metal to the inside of the ring. There is no need to cut, always.

Chasingsquirrels Sun 29-Oct-17 13:11:48

I ordered some last week - although coming from China so will take a while.
I've been wearing late-DH's wedding ring on a bracelet and am ready to move it, I've been playing with it on one of my right hand fingers but it doesn't fit and I'm not ready to have it resized yet, so I thought I'd try this and see how it goes.

Congratulations on the engagement, impending wedding and pregnancy!!

repetitionrepetition Sun 29-Oct-17 18:42:30

i got my ring just before i gave birth, had i resized about 2-3 months PP... waste of time as it’s now in need of another resize! (6 mo pp). so no rush!!

Ilovetolurk Sun 29-Oct-17 19:47:40

OP you can have 2 little balls soldered inside by a jeweller which stops the weight of the stone moving the ring around. Will try and post a pic

If you later put in weight just get the balls removed

Ilovetolurk Sun 29-Oct-17 19:48:23

Here

MeredithMorgan Sun 29-Oct-17 23:18:17

Thank you I love to lurk, that is definitely the long term solution for me! You can hardly tell and looks like they hold it in place well without cutting off circulation were fingers to swell. How much were they to put in?
Repetition - I will heed your advice an hold off for now!
Chasing squirrels - thank you! I hope the solution works for you as the ring sounds close to your heart.

Ilovetolurk Mon 30-Oct-17 01:26:43

Hi it was a while ago but from memory it was £28 at a good jeweller.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now