Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

Moving London to Cheshire

(28 Posts)
EmmyBear75 Thu 26-Oct-17 22:16:44

Anyone moved from London to anywhere up north, particularly Cheshire? Can’t afford to live here anymore,the price in houses up north is appealing . Is it worth it school wise (sixth form ) and job wise ? Is the way of life cheaper ?

MickeyLuv Fri 27-Oct-17 09:38:33

What part of Cheshire were you thinking of? Bit hard to advise on schools without this info really.

As for jobs, again depending on which part of Cheshire, its easy and quick to get into central Manchester or Liverpool.

greystarling Fri 27-Oct-17 09:39:33

Yes. 20 years ago though. Never ever ever go back.

EmmyBear75 Fri 27-Oct-17 12:22:05

Not really sure on areas there and what parts are nice and what aren’t as nice . Maybe Warrington

AlexanderHamilton Fri 27-Oct-17 12:25:14

Educationally Warrington isn't the best (avoid Uni of Chester Academy Schools)

Cheshire covers a big area & in terms of Local Authorities is now split into East & West.

EmmyBear75 Fri 27-Oct-17 12:49:05

Ah okay , didn’t realise it was that big. Mainly looking at the West

AlexanderHamilton Fri 27-Oct-17 13:06:32

Chester is beautiful (but very expensive)

grumpysquash3 Sat 28-Oct-17 11:44:07

A nice part of Cheshire with good schools won't be the 'cheap up North' destination you imagine. Still cheaper than many parts of London though.

grumpysquash3 Sat 28-Oct-17 11:45:02

How much do you have to spend on a house and how big does it need to be?

EmmyBear75 Sat 28-Oct-17 12:30:15

Looking to rent and then consider buying once Dd is old enough for uni . Looking for something 3 bed and under £1,300 pcm x

grumpysquash3 Sat 28-Oct-17 22:13:52

That's a good budget - I'm sure you will be able to find something nice. Why not start from a good school that has space and work back from that to area to rent?

MinnieF1 Sun 29-Oct-17 21:29:57

Frodsham and Tarporley are nice and are in the West. Nantwich, Holmes Chapel and Sandbach are also nice and are more central. They are covered by Cheshire East Council. As far as I know, Lymm is a nice area with a good school and is just outside of Warrington (which is its own LA). What kind of area are you looking for (e.g. small, quiet village or a larger town)?

Warrington, Macclesfield and Crewe are probably the biggest towns in Cheshire. Not sure I'd recommend Warrington or Crewe for schools though. Northwich is a much smaller town but has some good schools. Hartford is a small village just outside of Northwich with a good high school.

MrsMotherHen Wed 01-Nov-17 20:21:58

Wirral isnt cheshire as such but its not far. Beautiful little place

Bitsandbobsalot Sat 04-Nov-17 18:10:56

Sandbach high school has a excellent sixth form. They’ve just had a ofsted visit due to be released in the next week or so which expected to be excellent. My daughters will both be attending. There is also sandbach boys school which also has a six form but I’ve no information on that one.
Sandbach/haslington/Holmes chapel/Nantwich are beautiful little towns all with good links to larger city’s. For your budget you’d get a lovely home in a nice area no problem.
I personally wouldn’t recommend Crewe or Warrington however just like anywhere some areas are nice and some not so much.

drinkswineoutofamug Sat 04-Nov-17 18:13:27

Come to east cheshire!

EmmyBear75 Sun 05-Nov-17 12:11:28

Thank you all. So Warrington isn’t the place if I’m looking for really good sixth forms. I like the sound of Sandbach

AlexanderHamilton Sun 05-Nov-17 12:17:58

Friends tell me Sandbach boys isn't that good (I know someone who sent her Dd to the girls school but ended up sending her boys private.

Lots of friends tell me how good Holmes Chapel School is.

schoolgaterebel Sun 05-Nov-17 13:28:10

Christleton, Bishop Heber (Malpas) and Sir John Deans (Northwich) are 3 of the best six forms.

schoolgaterebel Sun 05-Nov-17 13:31:21

*in west Cheshire smile

MothQuandary Sun 05-Nov-17 13:37:56

£1300 a month is loads! You can get a palace, or you could have two like this 3 bed house in a lovely village in South Cheshire, with good local schools

Jobs can be a problem, depending what you do. There is high unemployment in most of the north. I relocated to the NW from the SE but was able to take my job with me. Bought a really nice 4 bed detached house for about the same as a grotty 2 bed flat in London.

MothQuandary Sun 05-Nov-17 13:39:34

Nantwich has Brine Leas school which has an OFSTED Outstanding 6th form.

redshoeblueshoe Sun 05-Nov-17 13:43:42

Trafford has grammar schools - if that would suit you

Want2bSupermum Sun 05-Nov-17 13:46:09

I assume you drive? It's important you can do so if living in places like Malpas.

EmmyBear75 Sun 05-Nov-17 13:48:01

Wow thank you, lots of choice. Amazed at the difference in house price from where I live in London. £1300 doesn’t get you anything to nice down here.

EmmyBear75 Sun 05-Nov-17 13:48:52

I do drive , so would it not be easy for Dd to go out and meet friends without being taxied around in Malpas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now