Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

Son pulled to the ground in school

(12 Posts)
welsh26 Thu 26-Oct-17 16:24:20

Am upset and not thinking straight so looking for advice before I go any further.

Ds was grabbed by the scruff of his blazer/hair at school and pulled to the ground. It's was an aggressive move rather than fun or banter hmm

To me this is serious. He has no marks or cuts and bruises but that's prob only because the other child was pulled off him before it could go any further.

My thinking is if dh did that to me I would call the police so I'm not going ott involving them here am I?

School say they are taking it seriously but the boy in question is only getting a detention.

Boys in question are both 14

Pancakeflipper Thu 26-Oct-17 16:27:43

I guess school are looking into why the situation happened and why the other boy pulled your son to the ground.

I would ask for a meeting with school to discuss the incident and for assurance nothing like this will occur again.

I wouldn't be involving the police at this stage but I'd be making a note of it in my diary just in case ..
Hope it was a one-off and your son is ok.

welsh26 Thu 26-Oct-17 16:52:18

There had been a petty squabble which ended up with this. Ds was walking away at the time and was taken by surprise as he never seen or heard the other boy coming up behind him.

I've a meeting with the school next week but they can't possibly promise me it could never happen again.

Pancakeflipper Thu 26-Oct-17 17:00:31

But they can say that if there's any issues like petty squabbles again that your son can go to a teacher and the situation be defused before it gets to physical stuff.

CrumpettyTree Fri 27-Oct-17 18:52:54

The other boy does seem to have got away with a physical assault quite lightly.

Saucery Fri 27-Oct-17 18:54:35

It is assault. You can involve the police yourself if you wish.

welsh26 Sat 28-Oct-17 00:03:23

Thank you for the replies.

I've not involved the police (yet) after a meeting with the school I'm more confident they are taking things seriously. The assault will be logged on the boys school record and the school are working to try and make things better for my ds.

I'm still torn between wanting to go full throttle and get the police involved and risking escalating things for my ds or leaving it in the hands of the school for the moment but having the cctv kept on record incase I need it in future.

I've talked over everything with ds and he knows how seriously I'm taking it all but he's happy to not involve police just now.

Why does this parenting thing not get easier as they get older!?

CrumpettyTree Sat 28-Oct-17 10:06:51

If they have different levels of detentions as they do in dd's school then hopefully it is the most serious type as he needs to not feel he's got away with it and could do it again. I'd have thought a day in isolation would be more suitable. Did the school say what will happen if the boy does it again?

ems137 Sat 28-Oct-17 19:15:55

I think it’s way OTT to call the police and even if you did I doubt they’d do anything anyway.

I would, however, be speaking to the school and making sure the other lad has been dealt with properly and not allowed to get away with it.

silverbell64 Sat 28-Oct-17 19:20:55

The school seems to be taking everything in hand.

Calling the police is very OTT.

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Sat 28-Oct-17 20:22:45

Not a pleasant incident for your son, but he wasn't actually hurt and the school are dealing with the other kid. Calm down, police would be a ridiculous overreaction.

PerspicaciaTick Sat 28-Oct-17 20:27:53

What would you be aiming to achieve in going to the police?

Clarify in your own head what outcome you want from the school and the police.

Are you aiming for a detention or for the child to be charged with assault?

Decide on the outcome you feel is proportionate and then contact the police if they are the ones who will help you achieve it (possibly).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now