Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

How many viewings is reasonable for tenant

(63 Posts)
TsunamiOfShit Thu 26-Oct-17 16:03:46

A house is getting sold with tenants in it. Tenants know they will have to move once house is sold.

No reduction in rent whilst house is on market.

How many viewings per week/month is reasonable to expect the tenant to be ok with?

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 26-Oct-17 16:05:53

Start with the idea that none is the acceptable number and work upwards if the tenant is happy with viewings.

prettyprettyprettyprettyghoul Thu 26-Oct-17 16:06:08

Honestly? They don’t have to let you in at all, so I’d ask THEM what they feel is reasonable.

As a tenant I’d say 1 open house per week. But I’d cut you off after a month. Mainly because I would personally want to make the house look perfect each time (even as a tenant) and that’s a lot of effort!

TsunamiOfShit Thu 26-Oct-17 16:08:25

As a tenant I’d say 1 open house per week. But I’d cut you off after a month. Mainly because I would personally want to make the house look perfect each time (even as a tenant) and that’s a lot of effort!

I'm the tenant. I was thinking of offering them 1 hour every other week. Is that unreasonable of me?

Elisheva Thu 26-Oct-17 16:09:24

We said viewings on Wednesday evenings or Saturday afternoons. However the agents were continually trying to add more viewings, often without even 24 hours notice. It’s not a nice way to live.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 26-Oct-17 16:09:55

If you’re trying to be nice, will the hour be flexible? So could be evening or weekend?

Love51 Thu 26-Oct-17 16:12:19

I'd push for a rent reduction in return for viewings on Weds and Saturdays.

TsunamiOfShit Thu 26-Oct-17 16:12:49

If you’re trying to be nice, will the hour be flexible? So could be evening or weekend?

No, our weeks are too busy for any viewings so would only be able to accommodate Saturday or Sundays. But I don't want every weekend ruined by viewings.

I'm not trying to be nice, I'm trying to be reasonable. I'll be nice once/if they offer an incentive.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 26-Oct-17 16:18:15

I think that works. Be prepared for the agent to be pushy. Practice your 'no' grin

TsunamiOfShit Thu 26-Oct-17 16:23:04

I'll get the mirror out tonight MrsTerry! smile

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Thu 26-Oct-17 16:25:12

I guess it depends if you work. I wouldn't mind about weekday viewings accompanied by agent as I'd be at work but wouldn't like too many evening or Sat slots. I wouldn't go out of your way to keep tidy but perhaps hang underwear under other clothes just in case there's a viewing smile

TsunamiOfShit Thu 26-Oct-17 16:28:56

That's the problem. I work from home a lot, and also out travelling a lot. But I don't know when from one week to the next where I'll be, and I can't have viewings whilst I'm working.

TsunamiOfShit Thu 26-Oct-17 16:29:27

I'll just tell them that they can do it every other weekend and they'll have to be ok with that.

prettyprettyprettyprettyghoul Thu 26-Oct-17 16:30:12

Once a fortnight sounds fine to me.

Definitely insist on the agent being there, no way would I show buyers around myself.

Potentialmadcatlady Thu 26-Oct-17 16:32:50

I’m on this Situ at the minute and was trying to be reasonable- viewers for an hour or so once a week but this week I got home to find agent in my house early ( son had let her in) taking photos without my permission and she ended up sitting there for ages because viewers didn’t turn up. I’m not going to be so accommodating now because I feel like a line has been crossed. She should have waited in car and I’m not happy about photos of my ‘things’ being taken

TsunamiOfShit Thu 26-Oct-17 16:36:24

Potential We had the photos thing too! LL told us agent was coming around valuation, didn't mention any photos. When agents where here they said "we're just going to take some photos". I said, that's fine but only outside. But they managed to push me into letting them take inside photos.

Those photos are now on the internet which is incredibly annoying but what can I do?

Larsitter Thu 26-Oct-17 16:46:21

It must be very disrupting of your home.
I work from home. I would hate it.

The last tenancy agreement I saw said.
Allow entry by the Landlord and his Agent
The Tenant will allow the Landlord or the Landlord's Agent and any Superior Landlord (and where necessary with workmen
and others) at all reasonable times during the Tenancy Period having been given at least 24 hours written notice (or without
notice in emergency) to enter the Property and if necessary by use of the Landlord's keys for the purposes of:
(d) in the last two months showing the Property to prospective Tenants who will be accompanied by the Landlord's
Agent, and putting up a ‘To Let’ sign;

(e) putting up a 'For Sale' sign and showing the Property to prospective Purchasers who will be accompanied by the
Landlord's Agent."

Don't know if that is lawful or not but might be worth checking yours.

museumum Thu 26-Oct-17 16:48:43

It depends on the property market in your area.
Here Sunday open houses are common and good properties sell in 2-3 Sundays. Fortnightly wouldn’t cut it, but the pain is over quickly.

olliegarchy99 Thu 26-Oct-17 16:55:31

I find it very unreasonable how some landlords treat their tenants when they are selling the house. Op stand your ground on this.
Several things make me angry about the situation (I was only a tenant for 6 months when between house purchases)
EAs letting themselves in to take photos and assuming viewings will be OK because you are moving out anyway. Not on - it is still my home bought and paid for monthly until I move out - check with me re any viewings and give me plenty of notice and I will be reasonable.
When I am moving out in the next couple of weeks do not be surprised/indignant that boxes are around as I am busy packing.
When I move out and still have a week or so of my tenancy to go - this is not an invitation to you to hold more or less an open house for viewers. My things are still in there and yes I will be back to clean up (at the end of my tenancy)
I feel that the house should not be put on the market UNTIL the tenants have reached the end of their tenancy.
No sensible buyer will buy a house with the tenants in situ.

BusterTheBulldog Thu 26-Oct-17 16:59:12

I found it worked quite well working from home as a tenant accepting viewers. Arranged time suitable to me (when not in conference call etc) let them in and then stayed in my office throughout. They would poke head round my office door and that was it. I think you’re being a bit inflexible.

Absolutechaos Thu 26-Oct-17 17:05:34

You don’t actually have to allow any open houses - tenants are entitled to quiet enjoyment of the premises (no matter what your lease says). Although if you don’t have a fixed term tenancy then you run the risk that the owner serves notice to terminate.

TsunamiOfShit Thu 26-Oct-17 17:05:37

I think you’re being a bit inflexible.

I want to be reasonable but I am also angry that we have to move. I will allow viewings within reason but not bend over backwards to accomodate.

And my work does not allow me to have set times for conference calls. I don't know what I'll be doing tomorrow until tomorrow.

TsunamiOfShit Thu 26-Oct-17 17:06:57

You don’t actually have to allow any open houses - tenants are entitled to quiet enjoyment of the premises (no matter what your lease says). Although if you don’t have a fixed term tenancy then you run the risk that the owner serves notice to terminate.

I know I don't have to let them in at all, but I'm not going to be that obstinate.
And they will terminate anyway very soon so that is not an additional threat.

HipToBeSquare Thu 26-Oct-17 17:13:50

We are selling our own home and it's so annoying that if I were a tenant and not wanting it sold I don't think I'd be happy at all!

I'd allow one hour every sat/sun (whatever suits you)

specialsubject Fri 27-Oct-17 12:39:52

None. The house cannot be sold until the tenant has gone. Issuing a section 21 does not mean the tenant will leave.

Landlords have to wait until the house is empty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now