Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

what would you look for in a counsellor?

(3 Posts)
septembersapphires Tue 24-Oct-17 12:13:33

I don't know if I'm going to try it yet but if I do ... what do you look for?
thanks.

Lottapianos Tue 24-Oct-17 12:18:36

Counsellors are like shoes - you're looking for a good fit for you, and you may have to try a few before you find it! Broadly speaking though, I would look for someone who is registered with the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP). Face to face, I would be looking for someone who made me feel safe, respected and listened to, who didn't share details about their own life with me, or make suggestions about what they think I 'should' do. Think about whether you have a preference for a male or female counsellor - some people do, some don't.

ThaliaLuxurySpa Tue 24-Oct-17 21:44:43

OP,

You might find this site useful:
welldoing.org/therapy/faq
(Non-jargon explanations of different sorts of counselling and therapy, advice about what to look for, and people's first-hand experiences of various types).

So many approaches out there, it can feel a bit like a maze!

When choosing the actual counsellor/therapist themself, I'm a great believer in trusting your instincts: for me, warmth, sensitivity and an emphasis on guiding me to access tools to help myself were paramount.

Having had both, 6 x weekly sessions of counselling and CBT, dealing with more practical solutions for moving forward from the 'here and now' ...is a very different dynamic to long-term, in-depth psychotherapy, so that might affect your decision too.

Hope you find someone you connect with, and get the support that's right for you...best of luck. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now