Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

Council house envy

(107 Posts)
Hollypiesky Mon 23-Oct-17 11:19:30

Why do people do this?
I have a friend who has major council house envy because she doesn't have a council house and a friend has just got one.
She has turned into a different person with her envy because she has not got a council house and rents private.
She has never tried to get one, she just says she will never get oneconfused
So why all the envy?

Crispsheets Mon 23-Oct-17 11:20:37

Cheaper rent?
Does she think she should have one?

whifflesqueak Mon 23-Oct-17 11:21:28

My sil owns her own house and expresses her intense jealousy of her sister who has a council house hmm

Nothingrhymeswithfamily Mon 23-Oct-17 11:23:12

I'd love the security council houses give, getting my child through school without worrying we might have to move at 2 months notice. Having pets, doing the garden and painting.

Being able to settle into the community and your kids being part of it.

Hollypiesky Mon 23-Oct-17 11:23:31

It baffles me. Have you asked your sil why?

HipToBeSquare Mon 23-Oct-17 11:25:27

Because the rent is cheaper and it's a more secure tenancy, not rocket science really OP hmm

CactusJelly00 Mon 23-Oct-17 11:25:28

Because people are bloody weird.
Most (ime) people I knew in the UK had this weird thing of both envy and disgust.
So they wouldn't want to live within 750 meters of a council estate but we're really jealous of cheaper rents (or so called cheaper rents)

I remember when I lived in an area where council houses are actually hard to get rid of (depending on size, style and what street) someone got really arsey with me about getting social housing like that.
I sent them the local associations rightmove link where they advertised property to the general public. Same tenancy terms same rent 0 bond etc etc. There was just no one on the list to take them.
Person was gobsmacked but refused to apply for "one of those" 😂

This was a couple years ago but back then they had anything up to 10 houses a month available... hmm.
<goes off to google>

HappyLabrador Mon 23-Oct-17 11:26:41

Why would anyone be jealous of someone having a council house? confused

TwattyCatty Mon 23-Oct-17 11:29:40

If you're baffled you can't actually be thinking about it very hard. One person gets a secure home, very cheap rent, and all that goes with council housing. One has to pay extortionate high rent for a private rental with no security at all.

How can you not understand why the second might be envious of the first?

Whambarsarentasfizzyastheywere Mon 23-Oct-17 11:31:55

I love my house.

It's large, very cheap, things get fixed right away, the tenancy is long term and secure, I can decorate and carpet as I choose.

I can see why people would envy that.

The wouldn't envy what i had to go through to get though.

ShotsFired Mon 23-Oct-17 11:34:52

A close relative of mine has a council house, so I know first hand the amount of structural and cosmetic work they have had done free of charge, on a tenancy that is secure for life (and may even be inheritable, as its quite old); all at a rent that is significantly below market rate for the area (like their next door neighbour, in fact).

This person was given the tenancy while a single non-working parent, but is now re-married and both adults work full time with above national average salaries. They are very comfortable there.

If you are renting privately (with none of the above benefits/advantages) with no hope of ever reaching no1 on the council housing list, that must indeed seem pretty galling.

But there's not much you can do about it, so it does seem pointless to let it consume your life.

fakenamefornow Mon 23-Oct-17 11:51:09

Ok, two identical houses next door to each other, one still council (house A), one bought and rented out (house B), both occupied by young families with similar income levels. House A has rent half the price of house B, repairs are done quickly and we'll, family are secure that they can stay long term and free to decorate, plant the garden and have a pet. House B, twice as much rent, family can be evicted with two months notice, not allowed to decorate or keep a pet, no point for them to plant a tree. They don't like asking the landlord for repairs incase they just get served notice for complaining.

No, can't think of a single reason why family in house be would be envious of council house. They must just be unpleasant people.

Nothingrhymeswithfamily Mon 23-Oct-17 13:45:15

As for not applying as you know you'll not get one.
My area sends people to private rental 100 miles away, so I know actually applying is fruitless. If people in genuine need can't get one, me, whose just in a shitty situation won't stand a chance.

TheABC Mon 23-Oct-17 14:36:26

I understand the envy, but it would be more productive to funnel the energy into campaigning for better/more secure private rentals as they have abroad.

tweedysue Mon 23-Oct-17 14:46:31

Cannot understand why people are get envious and jealous of what others have got. I bought my first house at 19 years old and I certainly would not be jealous of anyone having a council house. Renting is dead money unfortunately politicians have guided this council to generation rent. When you buy your house every year you gain and make money. paying a council rent is gaining you nothing and the way the governments are messing about changing the rules the security of your house has gone. In anything that you do not own someone else has ultimate control. In a rented property as many have found out the "owners" council, HA or private can come knocking on your door and demand their property back for any reason. Cameron bought in the new rules and if and when its implimented an under occupied house could be taken back and the tenant made to move into alternative accommodation. Never be jealous of anyone else, just concentrate on your own and what you can and hope to achieve.

tweedysue Mon 23-Oct-17 14:48:08

As far as I remember no one as a secure tenancy, Cameron got rid of them. unless you are an OAP.

Nothingrhymeswithfamily Mon 23-Oct-17 15:40:50

But you've a longer tenancy than 2 months notice. You'll get your kids through school, they can go to the same clubs.

Nothingrhymeswithfamily Mon 23-Oct-17 15:42:48

Tweedy I bought my house at 18 with my boyfriend unfortunately he was an abusive arse and I lost the house and £40,000 of savings.

Sometimes things change and we shouldn't have a society that can't let you start again

TwattyCatty Mon 23-Oct-17 15:44:51

Nice, "I'm doing well and have no sympathy or understanding of others who are less fortunate than myself"

You didn't buy a house at 19 any time recently, and where did you get the deposit from anyway? Can't stand people with an I'm alright Jack attitude.

DixieNormas Mon 23-Oct-17 15:45:23

I have a secure tenancy and I've only been in it 2 years.

I was certainly a bit envious when I spent 8 odd years having to move every 18 months-2 years because private LL kept selling up

CallingPeopleACuntOnFb Mon 23-Oct-17 15:50:09

Nothing to be jealous of now m

Seeing as rents are rising in line with private rents and tenancies are changing so they’re not secure

And nowadays if tenants earn over a certain amount they have to leave.

Bluntness100 Mon 23-Oct-17 15:51:06

I find that strange. I’d understand envy for someone who comfortably owned their own home.

It’s a sad day when people start to envy social housing.

Ttbb Mon 23-Oct-17 15:51:12

Because they have no pride?

gamerchick Mon 23-Oct-17 15:56:14

As far as I remember no one as a secure tenancy, Cameron got rid of them. unless you are an OAP

He did? Nobody told me, I still have a lifetime tenancy.

I find the council house thing bloody hilarious. People want to look down on them but can’t because it’s fair and private isn’t.

I don’t find 500 quid a month cheap either hmm

TwattyCatty Mon 23-Oct-17 15:57:09

It’s a sad day when people start to envy social housing

Don't be ridiculous. If you have a house twice the size of mine for half the rent, why wouldn't I be a bit envious? You have much more disposable income, more security, and a better life because of it.

What bit are people unable to understand here? If you get a council house you're a lucky fucker, at least own your luck, don't get shirty with those you are luckier than.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now