Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

Easiest way from Southhampton airport to Ryde.

(18 Posts)
Pacific Thu 12-Oct-17 08:32:21

Help! I am getting all confused with different travel options. We are visiting IoW in a few weeks and are flying into Southampton. We have a hotel booked in Ryde.

We can get ferry to Cowes, but then how to get to Ryde? Or is it easier to get train to Portsmouth harbour then hovercraft to Ryde?

I know there is at least one mumsnetter on IoW hopefully you may be able to help please?

Thank you.

Crumbs1 Thu 12-Oct-17 08:45:04

I think I'd go on bus from airport to Red Jet and then catch bus or taxi from Cowes to Ryde.

Train to Portsmouth isn't direct.

Pacific Thu 12-Oct-17 08:48:27

Thank you Crumbs. Are there frequent buses from Cowes to Ryde? Or do you have any idea how much a taxi would be?

Caulkheadupnorf Thu 12-Oct-17 08:49:06

Bus to red jet/ferry terminal. Check if it’s cheaper to get a taxi from east cowes or cowes to Ryde and then get boat accordingly.

The other option is a train to Portsmouth harbour and then the cat to Ryde but that’s convoluted if you’re not staying near the pier in Ryde.

Caulkheadupnorf Thu 12-Oct-17 08:50:14

A bus would be cowes - Newport and Newport to Ryde. Roughly where in Ryde are you staying? A taxi might be simpler.

LadyinCement Thu 12-Oct-17 08:55:52

The train station at Soton Airport Parkway is only a few minutes' walk from the airport terminal, and from there you can get a train to Southampton Central and a free shuttle to the Red Jet (fast passenger service) to West Cowes. (Or walk if you don't have much luggage; it isn't far.) From there taxi/bus to Ryde.

LadyinCement Thu 12-Oct-17 08:57:35

I thought the bus goes straight from West Cowes (where Red Jet lands) to Ryde?

In any case, a taxi would be less palaver.

Pacific Thu 12-Oct-17 08:59:52

We are staying at the new Travelodge at Lind hill.

I am looking at train from Airport to Eastliegh, train to Guildhall, Portsmouth, bus or taxi to hoverport then hovercraft to Ryde.

Is there a better/quicker way than this?

Caulkheadupnorf Thu 12-Oct-17 09:00:50

I’ve just looked at Soutern Vectis and it would be over an hour cowes to Ryde via bus.

Either get the car ferry and go east cowes-Ryde by bus OR the red jet and cowes-Ryde via taxi.

The car ferry and red jet terminals are opposite each other at the end of the bus route. You can’t miss them.

Ereshkigal Thu 12-Oct-17 09:02:01

You could get the car ferry from Southampton and easily get a bus to Ryde from
East Cowes.

Caulkheadupnorf Thu 12-Oct-17 09:02:36

I think my way above is quicker, plus more time on the island rather than hampshire.

IF you do your route though get the cat from Portsmouth harbour not the hovercraft.

Caulkheadupnorf Thu 12-Oct-17 09:03:10

www.islandbuses.info/servicelisting.shtml

Route 4

LadyinCement Thu 12-Oct-17 09:03:19

Pacific, I think you are entering the territory of Michael Portillo's Great Railway Journeys with that route!

Ereshkigal Thu 12-Oct-17 09:04:19

Cross post. Also a caulkhead!

Caulkheadupnorf Thu 12-Oct-17 09:08:58

Lind St is easy to get to, but it’s up a big hill so if you’re walking from the boat in Ryde be prepared for that. The train down the pier from the cat is (I think) free.*

* I haven’t lived on the island for 13 years

Pacific Thu 12-Oct-17 09:09:27

Ok. Think I will get the car ferry to East Cowes then taxi to Ryde. That seems the easiest/ quickest./cheapest compromise.

Pacific Thu 12-Oct-17 09:10:52

I think that is your route, Calkhead? Thanks all for the suggestions.

Caulkheadupnorf Thu 12-Oct-17 09:12:03

Either taxi or bus from e cowes. The bus meets the ferry so it’s simple if you do that. It’s a beautiful ferry route, you can see more than getting the fast boats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now