Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

A birthday party that nobody comes to?

(49 Posts)
bumblebee77 Mon 25-Sep-17 20:47:21

Hello, am in a panic and need some mumsnet wisdom (and probably a slap grin) ds has just started Reception. I booked a party for Friday evening, only date available at best local soft play. Invited friend's kids and some new school friends.
Problem is that school gate queen bee has very publicly declined the invite (they are soooo tired by Friday) and lots of other mumblings following about being exhausted by Friday. Thing is, they're right aren't they, Friday evening just after starting school is a STUPID idea!! I don't know what possessed me.
Has anybody had a party where nobody (or only a couple of people) turned up? What did you do?

ChasedByBees Tue 26-Sep-17 00:13:26

When have you set your RSVPs by?

I'd sound out a couple of other mums, see what they say. I have to admit, mine have not been invited to a party on a Friday before - they're usually weekends. It wouldn't be a reason to decline but I would wonder about energy levels.

AnInchWasPinched Tue 26-Sep-17 05:26:15

We've been to several parties on a Friday afternoon/evening. Much more preferable to the weekend. Presumably you know your friend and Dc's are going to show so you carry on and celebrate! And if really you have too much cake etc, you offer it to the nosy faces who come to see what is happening and get everyone to join in with Happy Birthday.
Kids always find energy for a party!

Mol1628 Tue 26-Sep-17 05:48:37

We were invited to a party this Friday at 4:30. Way too late for my 4yo who's just started school. He'd be so grumpy so we've declined.
I'm sure some people will turn up though!!

newmumwithquestions Tue 26-Sep-17 05:52:40

Have you allowed siblings? I'd go if I could bring my little one too but if not I'd decline as I'd have no one to leave her with - at a weekend myself and OH can have one each.

newmumwithquestions Tue 26-Sep-17 05:54:10

Also agree with pp - talk to some mums face to face.
Have you asked for rsvp's?

FleetwoodMacNCheese Tue 26-Sep-17 06:03:36

Mol1628 - you're raising a proper snowflake there, surely he would be energised by being around other kids in a play environment?

43percentburnt Tue 26-Sep-17 06:04:17

I’d have no issue with attending. Dd found the school day short compared with full time nursery.

redcaryellowcar Tue 26-Sep-17 06:11:03

I don't think it's the worst plan, no school to worry about the next day, fun way to finish a week, doesn't eat into 'family time' at weekends? I imagine there are a few children who might just be so exhausted they don't come, but I don't think you'll be sat there alone. Have a great time. Get some playground allies quickly and get some positive chat going on. Maybe go straight up to queen bee and say how fun it would be to see her?

bumblebee77 Tue 26-Sep-17 06:15:59

Several people have positively replied already, we only wanted a small party as we had 7 last year and it was a lovely manageable group. So 12 invited 10 said yes and siblings are welcome, made clear parents are also welcome to drop and go if they want to go to the pub do a Friday night shop or something.
I just started to worry because I've known queen bee from nursery and people can be very sheep like when it comes to her, also all the kids invited (including friend's kids) are in their first few weeks of school so I'm worried that people may cancel last minute due to tiredness. Aaaarge I hate parties and think I'm probably massively overthinking this aren't I? Thanks for your replies grin

Mol1628 Tue 26-Sep-17 06:25:23

Not a snowflake nope. He's just exhausted at the moment and he's been run down with back to school germs. Also he doesn't ever lie in so he'd be grumpy all weekend.
How lovely to judge so quickly from just one small decision!!!

bumblebee77 Tue 26-Sep-17 06:29:55

Redcar, queen bee has already declined the invite very publicly on the playground so it would be humiliating to do that. I feel better by hearing that most people would see it as an acceptable time for a party. Saturday afternoon seems to be prime time doesn't it?

Bekabeech Tue 26-Sep-17 06:31:54

It will be fine. Some children are dropping, others will be still full of energy! I got to the point with one of mine that I was voluntarily taking them to soft play after school on a Friday to get rid of some of the bounciness.

MrsPringles Tue 26-Sep-17 06:38:15

I would take DS, to kill the time late afternoon when he's tired and moany. He finds a new lease of life in soft play when the other kids are running around like lunatics

I hope people show up smile

Squeegle Tue 26-Sep-17 06:45:25

I think you are overthinking it. I understand as I am just like that. But it's perfectly reasonable, even if just a few turn up, they will have fun. Try to keep it in perspective cake

NotTheDuchessOfCambridge Tue 26-Sep-17 06:55:16

A Friday party is perfectly reasonable op, yes my dc are tired towards the end of the week but it'd be a cold day in hell before they turned down a party! This is more about the parents than the children, some parents cbb to make the effort.

KinkyFruits Tue 26-Sep-17 07:15:31

I have a reception child and we would come. Yes the kids are tired but frankly that's all the more reason it would be nice to get them out of the house! If you're serving tea it's even better. Nothing beats bringing my children home fed! (Unless they were also bathed, but that would be bizarre.)

Itsgoodforthegarden Tue 26-Sep-17 07:43:16

Jeeze some people are so bloody uptight!
It's a Friday night. Get a grip! Get some beers in and enjoy yourselves! It's soft play and a party. With cake. You can put your tired kids to bed afterwards and enjoy your evening. They might even lie in the next day if you're lucky.
Hope your DC has a very happy Birthday OP 🎂✨

Chocolatecake12 Tue 26-Sep-17 07:47:52

I’d have bought my dcs. What a lovely way to get to know their new school friends and parents so close to the beginning of term.
I hope your ds enjoys his party

rachrach2 Tue 26-Sep-17 07:57:49

I'd take mine, my eldest is quite tired but she'd soon perk up in that environment. I quite often take her to my sister's after school and and loves playing with her cousins then. On other days she's in childcare until 6 too.

FloatingCamel Tue 26-Sep-17 08:05:06

I would come on a Friday, at least they might lie in the next day and then maybe I could too.

Cooloncraze Tue 26-Sep-17 08:10:12

My DS just started school and he went to a birthday party last Friday and loved it! I think it's a great idea OP

Christobel51 Tue 26-Sep-17 14:04:53

If siblings were welcome and you were feeding the invited children, I would be delighted to come. Saves me making tea for everyone and they'll all have a fab time running around. As long as I could get them home in time for a reasonable bed time, we'd definitely be delighted to come! Hope it's a brilliant party for your child...... Whatever happens and who ever comes or doesn't, it'll be great fun. 😀🍰

AmethystRaven Tue 26-Sep-17 14:24:53

DD has been to a Friday party, lots of people turned up and the children were fine - the only snag was Friday traffic as it was in an out of town leisure park, also there was an accident on the way back and it took everyone ages to get home. So if people don't have to get to the outskirts of the next city it should be fine!

ChilliMum Tue 26-Sep-17 14:33:56

I would love a Friday evening party, my 2 usually bounce out of school on a Friday evening with excitement for the weekend.

A couple of hours at soft play would be perfect and as a pp said if you are feeding them as well so all I need to do is throw them in bed afterwards then I would be doubly pleased grin

Relax, I am sure most kids will come.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now