Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted.

Sexist, racist job advert from University.

(102 Posts)
strangehumour Wed 31-May-17 12:37:50

(I'm not sure if racist is the correct term for preference of ethnicity but hopefully it's clear what I mean).

I had thought we were attempting to head towards a goal of everyone being equal. Where sex, ethnicity and anything else doesn't matter.

Surely this statement on a job advert for 100 new staff at Loughborough University goes against any 'equal opportunity ideal':

"We would particularly like to encourage female and BME applicants as we are actively seeking to increase the diversity of our senior staff"

Anyone else feel that this is basically stating a preference for anyone except white British males? I find this amazing. If they had excluded any other group from society it would be headline news! Surely this is just as wrong as saying everyone except African females (as an example).

Why can't sex and ethnicity not matter anymore. Why does it need to be part of a job application at all?

Is it just me thinking is advert is terrible, and shouldn't be allowed with our modern laws against workplace racism and sexism.

This is the job link: www.jobs.ac.uk/job/BBO606/professor/

PaintingByNumbers Wed 31-May-17 12:41:48

did you just notice this phrase? its really common in job ads these days. it just means what it says, they encourage applications. there isnt any favourable treatment at interview stage.

rightsofwomen Wed 31-May-17 12:42:03

I suspect it is positive discrimination because the existing senior staff IS mainly white British males.

ilovesooty Wed 31-May-17 12:44:10

It's positive discrimination to address imbalance.

SisterhoodisPowerful Wed 31-May-17 12:44:35

Because mediocre white men are always hired over highly qualified male BAME candidates women - and white Women more than BAME women.

Positive discrimination is as created to stop mediocre white dudes getting jobs they are not qualified for. Suggesting it's racist to ensure that the best candidate get the job is white privilege in action.

strangehumour Wed 31-May-17 12:45:24

Surely this is stating a preference for everyone except white males?

I can't see it being acceptable for show preference for everyone except another single group in society.

PaintingByNumbers Wed 31-May-17 12:46:46

this isnt positive discrimination

ThinkFastNotSlow Wed 31-May-17 12:47:12

It says "encourage", not "we will only hire" so I'm not worried about an ad like this.

White privilege exists, so a reminder that they are accepting of non white male applicants is good.

TheClacksAreDown Wed 31-May-17 12:47:17

They aren't saying they will discriminate against white men. They are merely encouraging other applications.

FraterculaArctica Wed 31-May-17 12:47:25

I've just done training on Equality and Diversity at my University. This is entirely legal - it's called positive discrimination to try and tackle under representation of minorities. All people who actually apply will be evaluated fairly.

MagentaRocks Wed 31-May-17 12:47:33

They are not saying white males cannot apply. They are just actively encouraging people from groups that are under represented in the work place to apply. It doesn't mean that a white male wont get the job.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Wed 31-May-17 12:48:17

It's not stating a preference at all and at this stage, it's not positive discrimination. It's simply saying that applications from under-represented groups at that level.

White men don't need to be told their applications are welcome, they simply assume they will be.

As for 'why can't sex and ethnicity not matter anymore' - I'm not your personal Google but a mere three minutes of your time will show you some of the stats on sex and ethnicity and how imbalanced they are.

HerSymphonyAndSong Wed 31-May-17 12:48:41

There is existing positive discrimination towards white males

This is an attempt to redress the balance (and it isn't positive discrimination)

strangehumour Wed 31-May-17 12:49:22

How is stating a preference for a race or sex ensuring they get the best candidate? They just need to state they are an equal opportunities employer and then recruit fairly.

Sex, race etc does not need to be part of the recruitment process in my opinion.

This extra statement is racist and sexist by stating a preference. Especially by only excluded one group from society - I had not thought it would be acceptable to write an advert like this so I was really shocked to see it.

PerpetualStudent Wed 31-May-17 12:49:23

Well, it's clear how white males in academia are suffering from this awful discrimination... hmm

VeryPunny Wed 31-May-17 12:50:04

It's all very well to say that sex and race shouldn't matter at all. The only problem with that is that people are very, very bad at objectively deciding who is the best, and automatically assume that white men are better than pretty much anyone else - unconcious bias. There are some really interesting case studies around this - how the number of female members of orchestras vastly increased when orchestras moved to blind auditions (where the judging panel could not see the candidates playing) and where academic scientists (men and women) routinely ranked CVs higher when they were from a man, despite being identical in content to one with a female name.

This is an effort to counteract that. I've even seen some job adverts pulled and reissued in different language because the terms used in the original were very much those favoured by alpha males. It's a good thing, unless you are after staff consisting of mediocre white males.

HerSymphonyAndSong Wed 31-May-17 12:50:13

Where do they say "preference"?

sparechange Wed 31-May-17 12:51:21

Where does it say they have a preference?
You have completely imagined that confused

HerSymphonyAndSong Wed 31-May-17 12:51:48

IME they usually end up only interviewing and appointing white men anyway, so I wouldn't fret yourself op

Faffandahalf Wed 31-May-17 12:52:16

What a load of disingenuous crap OP. As if you have never heard of positive discrimination.

White men are the most privileged group ON EARTH. And it's not because they are the best at everything.

We need to redress the balance

KroplaBeskidu Wed 31-May-17 12:53:05

Anyone else feel that this is basically stating a preference for anyone except white British males?

As an academic, you absolutely bet I have a preference for anyone who isn't a white British male. Our universities are full of them.

rightsofwomen Wed 31-May-17 12:53:06

Perpetual grin

I work in a team of about 40 in academia
, with four PIs (principal investigators).
The two working in Britain are white, british men.
The one in the US is a white, US man.
The one in Canada is a white, Canadian man.

The rest of the team includes people from all over the world and about 1/2 male:female.

Walkingtowork Wed 31-May-17 12:53:13

Do you honestly think that OP or are you trying to wind us up? Apologies if you're being genuine. In which case, you must remember we do not currently have a level playing field, and it won't level out all by itself or it would've done by now (or not been uneven in the first place)

onceandneveragain Wed 31-May-17 12:53:24

I agree with the poster who was surprised this was the first time you've noticed this OP - it has been very common for at least the last 5 years, including in public sector organisations, Civil service, police etc.

They are only encouraging it at the application stage - when it comes to interview it will all be very strictly marked. There won't be a box for "female" or "BMe" that will allow a black woman to score more points - if a white male scores more than her they have to offer him the job.

FreckledLeopard Wed 31-May-17 12:53:40

Perhaps have a read of this, OP - it may shed some light on your thinking: www.theguardian.com/world/2017/may/30/why-im-no-longer-talking-to-white-people-about-race

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now