Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted.

Disappointed with our trip to whitby

(35 Posts)
dinosaurbum Sun 28-May-17 21:39:50

Probably going to get a few busicuits thrown but need to vent.

Whitby has always been such an important place in my life. It reminds me so much of my late grandad who I was very close to.

I haven't visited in season for while, but do visit in the autumn/early winter as I love the sea air, despite the burning cold!

Well today we went and oh my, what an experience.

It was busy, which I was glad to see, but so many people was being so disrespectful to such a beautiful place.

Litter strewn every where, some next to empty bins.

People pushing and shoving.

Holding lit cigarettes in crowded places at waist level. I am a smoker and will refrain from doing so in a crowded place, and if I found my self in one I wouldn't casually walk around with a lit one burning people's thighs, bags, and ya know small children's faces.

Children and their parents f'ing and j'ffing, was witnessed on more occasions than I could count. Including a parent and their child doing the wanker sign to a guy in car, who quite rightly beeped as they was blocking the middle of the road eating fish and chips.

Best of all...

A family was walking around, the youngest boy (approx 11) was proudly carrying a terrified pigeon he had just captured, under his arm against his naked chest (yuck! Town pigeons are full of Desease)

It isn't whitbys fault, it's such an amazing place. The east coast is absolutely beautiful. Can we just keep it that way, and act civilised when the sun is out!!!

I would like to say that the majority of them selves where just enjoying themselves and being normal. Sadly that just wasn't true.

DameDeDoubtance Sun 28-May-17 23:15:25

Soon...

Smeaton Sun 28-May-17 23:22:13

People are cunts unfortunately.

Are they getting worse? I think so actually.
People seem to have become more and more self centred. You only have to read threads on here about neighbours, dog walking, smoking or parking.

TheFifthKey Sun 28-May-17 23:29:11

I think you're asking a bit much for people to "have respect" because it's a beautiful place. For many it's just the nearest seaside resort! They're just there for their bank holiday "beano", sun on their face, eating fish and chips, a few pints and a walk round the town. Enjoying it just as much as you were, but not necessarily taking in their scenery. All places are all things to all people and you can't police how they want to enjoy it.

illneverknowwhereigo Sun 28-May-17 23:31:17

It sounds like a shithole.

Are you sure you didn't just visit a shithole?

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Sun 28-May-17 23:33:01

That's why I don't go at peak times. Can't do with all the peoples and their nonsenses. Do love Whitby though. Maybe try and go off-peak next time and rediscover your Whitby Love?

trinitybleu Sun 28-May-17 23:33:51

In season is is, just avoid Bank Holidays. And stick to the East Side or the cliffs, avoiding the town centre and the drag down to the pier. That's grim at any time of year

mynotsoperfectlife Sun 28-May-17 23:34:04

Most English seaside towns attract the great unwashed on bank holidays.

I bet it's still better than Blackpool.

illneverknowwhereigo Sun 28-May-17 23:34:24

You lost me there, though "I love the sea air, despite the burning cold!"

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sun 28-May-17 23:35:04

I thought Whitby was full of warlocks and magical shit.

In my head it's like a dark version of Narnia.

That's my illusion shattered.

peaceloveandbiscuits Sun 28-May-17 23:37:26

Ugh sounds like every other seaside resort in high season. Brighton is a real "happy place" for me, and it's just the same. Like you, I go off-season to rediscover my love for the place.
All you can do is be respectful and polite yourself, and pride yourself on the fact that it's not your children swearing and stealing pigeons.

I hope the pigeon-thief got shat on.

amprev Sun 28-May-17 23:37:33

I'm just back from a day in Whitby with my DH and two DD'S aged 7 and 10 (and my DWHIPPET, aged 8) and we had a different experience to the one you describe. My DH is a yorkshireman but no longer lives in the wrong side of the pennines, and he didn't do Whitby much as a child. I had never visited before today but have always fancied it. It was a 2.5 hour drive for us and we didn't arrive til early afternoon. The visit was precipitated by our older DD who is Jurassic Park mad at the moment and therefore wanted to go fossil hunting. We took some 'tools' and spent an hour on the beach looking for fossils along with ice creams. Then we had a wander, fish and chips for tea, walk up to the Abbey and then a gin and tonic in one of the nice bars in the windy streets near to the abbey. Parking was cheap and plentiful. It was very busy but we didn't encounter any stolen pigeons or risk any fag burns to the face. Maybe you were just unlucky today. I did notice that the abbey side of the river seemed more chilled than the other side, so maybe that could explain the difference in our experiences. Sorry you had a disappointing day though - I bet if you went at a quieter time you would see a big difference.

hellooooooomama Sun 28-May-17 23:38:47

Oh yes, people can ruin places alright. It's happening to my home town too.
Not a seaside resort, but still. sad

peaceloveandbiscuits Sun 28-May-17 23:39:55

Amprev I desperately wanted you to say you'd just got back from Whitby with your DPigeon.

hellooooooomama Sun 28-May-17 23:40:16

Agree though, Whitby is rather special and ought to be treated well.

Squishedstrawberry4 Sun 28-May-17 23:46:43

You probably encountered a few inlanders from Leeds grin

BadToTheBone Sun 28-May-17 23:46:52

We were in Whitby the week before Christmas, it was fabulous, I love it. It was bloody cold though, so this probably scared off the arseholes. It certainly isn't a shithole, it just attracts shit people on bank holiday weekends.

Squishedstrawberry4 Sun 28-May-17 23:48:16

If you don't like other holiday makers, best visit such places on weekends that aren't bank holidays

jamdonut Mon 29-May-17 00:05:40

I live in a seaside town about 40 miles south of Whitby.

Visitors from now on in take over our town . They forget people live here all year round and it is not a Holiday Village to do what you like in. They stroll in the main roads and give you grief if you remonstrate with them.
They feed the seagulls and then get surprised and angry when the birds attack them and take food out of their hands. Locals know not to do it. There are signs up saying not to do it, but people insist.
And no one seems capable of taking litter home with them or using the bins provided. Apparently it's ok to leave dirty nappies on the beach.
They go tomb-stoning off the harbour pier, meaning the lifeboat and/or police get called.
This is just the tip of the iceberg.
And yet our town needs people to come, to survive.

amprev Mon 29-May-17 00:10:50

peaceliveandbiscuits grinwink My DPigeon aged 2. He had a lovely time.

valeriej43 Mon 29-May-17 00:11:52

Would just like to say i am not too far from Whitby, and i love it,
I often have trips out there with my daughter,
There are some lovely unusual little shops up the hill over the bridge,and one of them sells handmade soaps, which are lovely and the smell or scent as you walk in just makes you want to buy some
We often go at the times when they have the Goth festivals
Whitby does get very busy and it can get very crowded so you are very close to other people, so they shouldnt be walking about with cigarettes ,
There are always a few who spoil it for others, but dont let it put you off

PenguinOfDoom Mon 29-May-17 00:22:58

We live on the outskirts of a beauty spot and without fail, every sunny weekend, people pile out here with their disposable BBQs, (which are clearly signed as not allowed), smoke weed, let their dogs shit everywhere and don't clean it up, get pissed, let their kids run riot and leave all their litter when they go home. It's got so bad that some residents organise voluntary litter picking after bank holidays.

Some people are just selfish, anti-social, foul cunts who think that everyone else exists to pick up after them.

MabelSideswipe Mon 29-May-17 00:25:44

We are holidaying in Whitby this summer. My first visit and one I have wanted to do for years......it better be nice!

Marcipex Mon 29-May-17 00:33:56

I went to Whitby once. It was the usual seaside crap combined with a lot of goth crap.
If you want to eat fish and chips while wearing head-to-toe purple velvet and a ton of eyeliner, being dive bombed by seagulls and having to look where you tread, then it's the place for you.

Marcipex Mon 29-May-17 00:35:13

Oh sorry Mabel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now