Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted.

Can I keep 2 male rabbits together?

(19 Posts)
neonfrog Sat 27-May-17 08:55:33

I've read conflicting things. Will 2 male rabbits get along ? (will be neutered) we have an eye on a pair at pets at home, they seem to be happy with each other there.

AStickInTime Sat 27-May-17 09:07:24

Male guinea pigs yes, male rabbits no. They fight to the death.

ClashCityRocker Sat 27-May-17 09:07:58

It tends to be females who are more difficult to house together with rabbits. Bucks tend to be more chilled.

ClashCityRocker Sat 27-May-17 09:08:37

Astickintime, where have you got that from?

Bellaposy Sat 27-May-17 09:09:57

We've had two males (brothers together for years with no issues). Just have them neutered.

Sleepysally Sat 27-May-17 09:10:09

As a first time rabbit owner pets at home advised me that two males would be fine together and sold me 2 that had been together in the shop. We had them both neutered but they fought, we had to separate them.

ClashCityRocker Sat 27-May-17 09:11:55

But yes, much more likely to fight if not neutered.

Male female both done is usually the best option.

AnarchyKitty Sat 27-May-17 09:12:21

Yes if you get them neutered ASAP.
I've had several pairs of males in the past with no problems. We currently have two males and a female. As long as they have a large run and hutch they will be fine. Look on the RAW website for guidance to living space.

VelvetSpoon Sat 27-May-17 09:14:26

They live together fine unneutered until about 12 weeks then they will fight. My understanding is if they're neutered before this they should be fine to be kept together.

reallyanotherone Sat 27-May-17 09:18:25

Honestly, i wouldn't buy from pets at home. Chances are the rabbits haven't come from reputable breeders, and their "advice" is often aimed at making the sale, as pp experienced, rather than for the good of the rabbits.

It's no different really to buying a puppy or a kitten in a pet shop, if you wouldn't do that, don't support the sale of other animals.

There are loads of rabbits in rescue, who will offer help with bonding and other issues if you are a new rabbit owner.

If you've never owned rabbits, please do your research. They are great pets, but they do need quite specific care.

AStickInTime Sat 27-May-17 09:21:11

Ah, it sounds like my information (based on experience) is only correct because they were not neutered before 12 weeks old.

It sounds like people who neuter before 12 weeks can offer some success stories.

satonthesofa Sat 27-May-17 09:25:02

We had two male sibling rabbits. We're told they'd be ok together. They were definitely not. Serious fighting. Torn ears, very distressing. Had them neutered but no difference apparently the pattern was now set and we had to keep them in separate hutches. They could be out together but needs supervision!!

Janeinthemiddle Sat 27-May-17 09:56:41

Yes you can but you have to bond them. I have two male rabbits who now can't be separated.

MsMims Sat 27-May-17 22:47:54

I've never managed to bond two boys yet. The boys with a hareem of females - much easier. How they seem now is pretty irrelevant as once hormones kick in it'll be a different story.

PAH isn't a good place to buy animals from either. A local rescue centre will have rabbits available that are already bonded, neutered and vaccinated (all expensive and necessary).

twisterinyogapants Sun 28-May-17 14:36:10

I wouldn't again. We took on two boys only had them a couple weeks before one started becoming aggressive. I had to use a broom to separate them and I still ended up with scars on my wrists. Even after neutering the aggressive one didn't settle. Ended up with the other one living inside.

DimplesToadfoot Sun 28-May-17 14:42:28

Many years ago I got 2 'male' rabbits from pets at home, 3 months later they had babies shock
I wouldn't get 2 males again, I much prefer a neutered male spayed female pairing

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 28-May-17 14:45:27

We have two males and they are fine bit they are brothers and neutered.

And I called up a vet to ask about it all first befire we took them on. They said they should be ok as they are litter mates bit to get them done.

JanetBrown2015 Sun 28-May-17 15:38:41

We went to a rabbit farm and bought 1 buck and 2 does and we kept him seaparate and the female rabbits together. When we bred them we moved one female to a third hutch where she had her babies. We separate the buck of the litter before it was too old and that went in the 4th hutch. At that point we had to start finding them good homes as they bred like rabbits..... (we had no neutering). They were very very cute white ones but it was taking too much time particularly as I put them out in the run in sequence so we were not mixing the sexes during the runs on the lawn either.

I am afraid the day we got rid of them all was a good day for me and my older son as the younger ones had lost all interest in them by then. However I enjoyed some of the time with them. Didn't like cutting their nails but it had to be done. They certainly breed fast.

neonfrog Mon 29-May-17 14:54:04

The 2 I looked at were in the adoption section and about a year old. Unfortunately they were sold by the time I'd decided to actually get them. We have now bought 2 boys that we could see snuggled together. They are very friendly and groom each other, one of them keeps humping the other who just sits there or moves away. I'm told this is a sign of dominance and not a sexual thing, he doesn't seem to have descended testicals yet, he is around 12 weeks. Do I have to wait for that to happen before neutering?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now