Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted.

Surveillance

(5 Posts)
fiftyplustwo Fri 19-May-17 05:57:54

Does anybody know what GCHQ (and others) actually do with the stuff they hoover up from boards like Mumsnet? What is it? Do they just stuff it into big databases?

helpimitchy Fri 19-May-17 14:31:35

They compile individual profiles on each person and use these to gather data and intelligence that may prove to be useful.

barrygetamoveonplease Fri 19-May-17 14:36:10

GCHQ are on Mumsnet?
Where's the tinfoil for my hat

MephistophelesApprentice Fri 19-May-17 14:40:27

Databases which can be cross referenced in the unlikely event they are relevant.

For instance, if someone committed a terrorist act and they had a mumsnet account, then all of their interactions would be wordsearched for anything that might provide evidence for prosecution or avenues for further enquiry.

But for the most part, it will just sit there until they need to delete it for more space. Producing a detailed personal profile takes a huge amount of effort, doing so for everyone on MN would be horribly time consuming and expensive. If you're not currently of interest to the security services for whatever reason your data is just background noise

fiftyplustwo Sat 20-May-17 16:24:20

I honestly thought most things posted over those overseas internet cables was scooped up, actually, the renowned "key scores".

Anyway, your reply made me do a search on Google (which I'm a big fan of btw) for "how worried should one be of online surveillance". I came across a rather recent article from Scientific American, "Will Democracy Survive Big Data and Artificial Intelligence?"

The article says: "We are in the middle of a technological upheaval that will transform the way society is organized." (true tin-foil hat nor not).

I browsed that Scientific American article while listening to the soundtrack "searching for sugarman malik bendjelloul film". Song: "But you can't get away from it, no, you can't get away...."

Scientific American (online) says: "When we use smart devices, we create an endless data stream disclosing our intentions, geolocation or social environment. While we communicate more thoughtlessly than ever online, in the background, an artificial intelligence (AI) ecosystem is evolving. Today, AI is the sole technology able to profile us and draw conclusions about our future behavior. ... Even Google Search is a control strategy. When typing a keyword, a user reveals his intentions." So, everything could trigger the attention of someone/something/those algorithms -- even googling the most innocent-looking word such as "Surrey" could in all likelihood be construed as suspicious under certain circumstances I guess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now