Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted.

*TRIGGER WARNING - BLOOD* This can wait till morning can't it???

(45 Posts)
CanThisWait Thu 18-May-17 22:55:13

Namechanged

TMI - Poo talk up ahead

Cannot believe I'm writing this on the internet, but I need some advice.

I've had an iffy tummy all day, running to the toilet. Not full on diarrhoea, just a bit loose.
Stomach cramps off and on, feeling a bit unwell but nothing major.

Just now I went to the toilet, pushed, felt something come out blush wiped, and the paper had blood on it.
I then got some toilet paper, and kinda held it there, and pushed again (still felt like I needed to go) no poo, just more blood. When I looked in the toilet bowl, the first time it was just a bit of blood too.

Can this wait till the morning and be seen by a GP, or do I need to ring 111? I've attached a picture of the amount of blood. I've got no pain down there, no stinging or cuts or anything. Stomach is still cramping and feeling like I still need the toilet though.

Ohb0llocks Thu 18-May-17 22:57:09

I don't think this can wait.

WetsTheFinger Thu 18-May-17 22:57:10

By the sounds of it it's piles. I would go to the GP in the morning unless you have copious bleeding in the meantime. However, if you are very worried and your gut says otherwise then go to a&e. We can't really judge over the 'net. Good luck

jacquejacque Thu 18-May-17 22:57:32

I would call 111 to be safe - but just because I know that blood in stool can be quite serious and is generally something you need to treat with caution. flowers

CanThisWait Thu 18-May-17 23:04:00

@WetsTheFinger I don't think it's piles?
I had them when pregnant and the pain was blooming horrendous. There's no pain in the, erm, 'area' just a lot of blood.

I'll admit I'm a tad alarmed, I don't feel totally unwell though, just stomach cramps and they're not really that bad.

I was more wondering if anyone else had experienced this and it was all fine?

PurpleDaisies Thu 18-May-17 23:05:47

Piles aren't always painful. It depends on how high up they are.

Did the bleeding stop? I agree with talking to a doctor for proper advice.

PossomInAPearTree Thu 18-May-17 23:07:35

If the bleeding has stopped then from a blood loss point of view it can wait....disclaimer - I don't know much about piles!

CanThisWait Thu 18-May-17 23:09:02

It's stemmed, I've put a pad on under my pj pants and I'm lying down with a hot water bottle on my stomach.
I'm starting to convince myself it's fine to wait. I know blood is more of a scary thing if it's darker, not bright red, so I'm coming to my senses and knowing it's nothing ominous.

I didn't know that about piles! Hopefully that's all it is!

PickAChew Thu 18-May-17 23:11:31

The blood looks fresh enough to have come from fairly close to the exit. Perhaps an anal fissure?

If the bleeding has stopped, I'd say it can wait until morning (take the picture with you). If it continues or worsens, I'd get seen asap.

NorthernLurker Thu 18-May-17 23:11:56

If you were only bleeding when you were trying to poo then I would say it's piles. If you seem to be bleeding constantly then seek medical advice, otherwise get your gp to have a look. The blood on the tissue doesn't look like a concerning amount right now.

confuugled1 Thu 18-May-17 23:15:25

I would call 111 and while you're waiting to talk to them, pack a bag to take with you to OOH/A&E, make sure your phone is charged and you have a charger (and charge pack if you have one), some change for the taxi or car park (are you ok to drive?), something to read, something to drink, maybe something to eat, pjs/nightie and a tooth brush, and so on.

Hopefully it won't be anything serious, but if you know the feeling of piles and it isn't like that (and also - how did the volume of blood compare - is it more/less/similar?) then it would be a sensible precaution. If you don't need to go in now or they don't keep you in then you get to spend a couple of moments putting stuff away later. If they do say to go in then you're prepared and that will be much better than not being prepared!

Hoping that it's nothing serious but think you would be very sensible to keep an eye on it and get it checked out now rather than later.

GardenGeek Thu 18-May-17 23:32:06

I am no doctor at all.

But to me that looks fresh, so thats internal bleeding. That sounds pretty serious when you put it like that.

What have you got to lose by calling 111? If you do have to go hospital will be quieter in the night than the day too. I would call now.

BuzzKillington Thu 18-May-17 23:33:13

This wouldn't worry me unless it didn't stop.

Nakedavenger74 Thu 18-May-17 23:37:33

My DH had this. Bad cramps and diahorrea with lots and lots of fresh red blood. It seemed to calm down then came back next day in waves.
It was Campylobacter. Not dangerous unless you are low immunity but get to doctors anyway to discount other things. You will have to produce poo sample. They can't do much and it will last around 2 weeks but get lots of fluid (Gatorade for electrolytes) and take probiotics. Bland food in small amounts.
How you feel better soon.

Floralnomad Thu 18-May-17 23:42:20

I would wait until the morning , that's really not a lot of blood and if it does turn out to be internal piles it's actually quite a small amount of blood - they can really bleed .

MirriVan Thu 18-May-17 23:43:08

Blood that bright red colour looks fine to me - well, not fine, but not an emergency! I'd not be worried.
www.nhs.uk/conditions/rectal-bleeding/Pages/Introduction.aspx

scootinFun Thu 18-May-17 23:43:09

Call 111 - at least you'll have a professional making the call to stay or go smile

Fortifiedwithvitaminsandiron Thu 18-May-17 23:43:21

Try not to worry - Bright red blood when you poo is a really alarming sight, but the bright red stuff like that generally isn't the type to worry about. That's also actually not a lot of blood (I know it looks like it, but when you compare the blood loss over the duration of a period is the equivalent to approximately an eggcup, and you think of how much that looks like on towels/sanitaryware, you can start to picture hat the amount in the photo isn't actually as much as it seems) The fact it's red means it's very close to the exit so most likely piles or an anal fissure. Blood darkens as it makes it's way down the rectum, and it's the darker blood (often almost tar-like) that's of most concern as this indicate bleeding higher up in the colon which can be indicative of something worrisome). Piles are can be painless or painful, but an anal fissure feels like you've given birth out of your bottom, so that doesn't sound likely if you're in no pain. Painless piles are very common - if you've had piles before and are having tummy trouble today it's likely your increased 'regularity' has irritated existing piles (as they may have shrunk since pregnancy but are probably still there internally) causing the bleeding and probably a bit of swelling/soreness which you may notice next time you go. If the bleeding persists however, and is happening at flow when you're not opening your bowels I'd call 111. If it stops in-between bowel movements then I'd sit make an appointment with my GP tomorrow, or if they can't see you, I'd go to the nearest sexual health centre as they're pretty-clued up on piles (it's not all about the STIs!!) too. But, if you're in doubt, you can always call 111 for peace of mind. Rest up, and good luck! Stay hydrated too xxx

Fortifiedwithvitaminsandiron Thu 18-May-17 23:45:02

Sorry for the gazillion typos there - hopefully it makes some sense!

Justaboy Thu 18-May-17 23:54:12

Well - blood coming from where it didna oughta isn't right and as some others have said bright red blood is less worisome than darker blood thats far more so as its likey to be higher in the alimentary canal.

I'd call 101 just to be on the safe side and see what they say.

PyongyangKipperbang Fri 19-May-17 00:15:26

101 is the police, which could make for an interesting call grin

I would wait.

Certainly sounds like piles, I have had internal and external and internal didnt really hurt at all but the external ones (which rarely bleed at all) hurt and itch like a bitch.

kali110 Fri 19-May-17 00:15:43

It could simply be a fissure op, that can bleed a lot.

PyongyangKipperbang Fri 19-May-17 00:15:53

Thats it, mine rarely bleed at all.

PyongyangKipperbang Fri 19-May-17 00:16:13

That is.....ffs!

kali110 Fri 19-May-17 00:17:08

If its bright red, then its most likely come from near the front ( not a doc just know dew things) rather than internal bleeding which would be dark in colour

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now