Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted.

Does anyone think this seems fair?

(9 Posts)
AStickInTime Wed 17-May-17 17:25:24

School has keypad access to the gate to stop parents parking when they shouldn't. Access is only for staff and blue badge holders only. I now need to use a blue badge and asked for keypad pin because another Mum has been given it for her blue badge use. They're refusing to give it to me, insisting I press the buzzer every time. At first they said no parent has the code, but when I gave the name they said that was different as they use the breakfast club and I don't.

Does this seem right? I sometimes find people have haggled with me when I buzz, so I'd prefer to have the pin. It is the exception rather than the rule but still unpleasant and it does seem a bit nonsensical for one parent to have it but not the other. Or AIBU?

BackforGood Wed 17-May-17 21:18:47

Well, they've told you why. When you arrive, there is someone there to answer the buzzer. When the other parents arrives, the office isn't staffed.
Not sure what the problem is.

RB68 Wed 17-May-17 21:25:24

Just complain every time they haggle and they will soon get fed up.

The issue isn't the pin its the haggling

soapboxqueen Wed 17-May-17 21:34:03

I would agree with pp in that because the other mum comes earlier, the office isn't staffed so no one to buzz her in.

ClearlyUnlikeable Wed 17-May-17 21:56:49

What do you mean by haggling? Trying to get you to park elsewhere?

AStickInTime Wed 17-May-17 23:24:40

Not exactly, no. More just firing questions like who I'm collecting, telling me sharply that no parents can enter, asking me the obvious like what it is I want (umm... to get in?!). I've taken to just saying "hello, Blue badge user please" and even then I find the response isn't very welcoming. I'm not expecting a fanfare every time I turn up, but when they've demanded to know who I am collecting, I've started the conversation with informing them then next time, but they've asked something different that time. It just seems like the Spanish Inquisition every time. Except it's not every time to be fair, it's pretty inconsistent but it makes me dread the whole thing to be honest, and it's like the convenience of paying at the pump or using self service tills, i much prefer to not have to rely on another person. What are they worried about, that I'll sell the pin on eBay? It's ridiculous really.

thatorchidmoment Wed 17-May-17 23:31:57

I expect the more you buzz to use the car park, the more familiar with you they will get, and they will drop the questioning once they expect you. You sound a bit oversensitive about a pretty small issue to me.

I agree that the other parent is in a different situation to you if staff may not be in as early as she is.

ClearlyUnlikeable Wed 17-May-17 23:32:47

I'd just be really abrupt with them before they have a chance to say anything 'here to collect my child, their name is XXXX, blue badge user due to XXXX disability. Answer their questions abruptly before they get a chance to ask you the questions.

BackforGood Fri 19-May-17 16:16:46

Or just have a conversation with whoever agreed with you in the first place that you can do this, and say that you seems to speak to different people in the office each day and have to keep starting at the beginning re explaining - would it be possible for a memo to go to whoever might be answering the buzzer to say that it has been agreed you can do this to collect your dc?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now