Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted.

Baby walking aid - confused

(8 Posts)
Cheepandorm Wed 17-May-17 14:25:23

After a week of crawling the baby has moved onto cruising ( so the baby bouncer is looking like it's heading into the loft soon), we're not into full speed yet but i doubt it'll be long so I'm looking around for a walking aid.
Something sturdy preferably without all the need for batteries.

I saw this one, and i like it but I'm confused by the description saying it's for early steps yet not suitable for children under 36 months. Does anyone have one and is there anything obvious on it that i cant give to a 7.5 month old?

http://www.very.co.uk/early-learning-centre-elc-wooden-builder-walker/1600146735.prd?sku=sku19744016&cm_mmc=google-_-PLA+-+Generic-_-Everything-_-na_157632683903&utm_medium=cpc&k_clickid=66df48b0-f9cd-4934-8633-ef3f1d351c5c&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Shopping_All%20Products%20-%20TOP%20LEVEL&utm_term=na&utm_content=157632683903&profileid=402&keywordid=na&productgroupid=pg447223&device=m&gclid=CKGW0cGB99MCFWG-7QodbgwFdw

Cheepandorm Wed 17-May-17 14:26:16

That's a really long link. Hope it works!

BendydickCuminsnatch Wed 17-May-17 15:16:21

www.very.co.uk/early-learning-centre-elc-wooden-builder-walker/1600146735.prd?sku=sku19744016&cm_mmc=google-_-PLA+-+Generic-_-Everything-_-na_157632683903&utm_medium=cpc&k_clickid=66df48b0-f9cd-4934-8633-ef3f1d351c5c&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Shopping_All%20Products%20-%20TOP%20LEVEL&utm_term=na&utm_content=157632683903&profileid=402&keywordid=na&productgroupid=pg447223&device=m&gclid=CKGW0cGB99MCFWG-7QodbgwFdw

It's hard to find anything officially for the under 3s that aren't baby toys. Health and safety. Most 3 year olds are walking fine and have been for ages so persoanlly I'd ignore that age specification. Looks like a fine walker! We had one similar (blocks in the bottom) rarely used though. Can't remember what he did instead, just cruising then walking confused

Teabagtits Wed 17-May-17 15:23:53

I found things like that weren't very helpful as it often ran away from the child who wasn't able to keep up, resulting in falls and bashing face off the trolley thing. That may just have been that dd was very young to walk. Furniture to cruise along worked best and constant supervision.

Cheepandorm Wed 17-May-17 17:21:45

Thanks, it was the age spec that threw me a bit. We had an elc lion one for dc1 at 8 months and it was great but abandoned when they mastered walking, this time round I'd prefer something that can potentially be played with beyond learning to walk.
Initially I'll admit there were a few falls...But on carpet​ there should be more friction (there's a couple of them where you can add friction/resistance to the wheels)

I'll keep looking...And I'll ignore age recommendations!

Blossomdeary Wed 17-May-17 17:25:03

I am not sure you really need a walking aid. At best it will be needed for a few weeks and you will have wasted all that money. At worst it will deter your child from doing what it will do entirely naturally given time.

Children develop at their own rate - it is best not to try and speed that up in any way - nothing is gained.

kel1493 Wed 17-May-17 17:33:46

I'm dead against those sit in walkers as I feel they try to make a little one walk before they are ready.
My lo had an issue with his feet which meant he wasn't walking until he was 17 months. He was 16 months when he started walking along the furniture and holding hands. To support him walking independently, we got the VTech first steps push along walker. They are suitable from 6 months as the front panel comes off for sitting down play. Then it can be used as a walking aid from when the child is confident and standing up. It really helped my little boy. (Most people I know got them for their child).

Cheepandorm Wed 17-May-17 20:35:15

I'd never get a sit in one, i think they're silly and would destroy our door frames.

Judging by the cruiser I've got here there's not question of readiness. It's more to help with getting from the sofa or coffee table to the kitchen or dh or dc1.
Today we've been learning how to get down from standing and pushing back so we're not holding on to anything - it's a brilliant yet terrifying stage

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now