Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted.

Can anyone just set up as a psychotherapist...

(16 Posts)
AntigoneJones Tue 16-May-17 08:37:07

...with no qualifications?
I saw a website which seemed to conflate psychotherapy with counselling, and the person who was offering their services at e50 an hour seemed to have no qualifications.
Surely that is not OK?

JanetBrown2015 Tue 16-May-17 09:13:21

Yes and life coach and legal adviser (but not "protected" words in legislation like solicitor, barrister, doctor, nurse).

If an advert is accurate then it is allowed. Eg if someone says they have a degree from XYZ and qualifications in ABC but do not then that is a criminal offence under 2008 regulations on advertising.

AntigoneJones Tue 16-May-17 09:14:41

OK so they may be a bit of a charlatan, but it's not illegal?
Thanks.

AliceTown Tue 16-May-17 09:18:03

Psychotherapist and counsellor aren't protected terms, so yes, anyone can set up as being one.
When you say they seemed to have no qualifications, do you mean they just didn't list them on their website?

namechange20050 Tue 16-May-17 09:18:48

No it's not illegal. Bit like how people can just decide to call themselves Nutritionist.

AntigoneJones Tue 16-May-17 09:19:29

well yes, exactly. I would have thought if you had qualifications, you would list them.

AliceTown Tue 16-May-17 09:20:12

Do they mention being a member of a professional body such as UKCP, BACP or NCS?

AliceTown Tue 16-May-17 09:21:19

Not necessarily. A lot of therapists I know find that people aren't interested in their qualifications. Nobody has ever asked me for mine. Best bet is to either ask them or check their professional registration.

AntigoneJones Tue 16-May-17 09:21:40

no they don't, which is what I would have expected.
They just describe themselves as a 'mental health professional' whatever that means.

AliceTown Tue 16-May-17 09:51:23

That could mean all sorts really.

Psychotherapy and counselling are the same thing though (depending on who you ask..!)

TheWildRumpyPumpus Tue 16-May-17 10:00:56

There isn't really any differentiation between a counsellor and a psychotherapist.

JanetBrown2015 Tue 16-May-17 10:58:52

My relatives in this field and the psychiatrist one DO find people like to see the Oxbridge degrees, post grads and all the rest actually. I would be surprised if people would leave a qualification off if they have it.

mummabubs Tue 16-May-17 19:22:16

I can assure you there is a difference between counselling and psychotherapy! And sadly as others have pointed out they are not protected titles so anyone can use them. However looking for people who list qualifications and are openly BABCP accredited is likely to mean a better experience.

AliceTown Tue 16-May-17 19:23:55

You cannot assure me that. It's a hotly contested discussion within the profession and many people say there is no difference at all. I personally think there is a difference, but they're certainly not black and white.

AliceTown Tue 16-May-17 19:25:15

BABCP is only for behavioural and cognitive therapists, isn't it?

mummabubs Tue 16-May-17 20:41:29

Personally I'd argue that the training for both differs (although obviously there is some overlap). Whilst the job role of a counsellor and a psychotherapist may look similar on paper the way in which both work with people does differ.

And sorry, my fault- meant to type BACP, not BABCP, which as you point out is for cog/beh practitioners. 😊 Essentially I guess the point I was making is that professional registration is important in my opinion, whichever orientation you practice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now