Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted.

School bullying in reception, what should school do?

(6 Posts)
AStickInTime Mon 15-May-17 19:45:50

A friend has a new starter in reception. It's a combined school so there are Year 6 students there too. My friend's DC aged 4 is being bullied by a few year 6 children, quite serious stuff (actual physical assault) but the school are trying to say there is no problem, they take the bully's denial as truth over witnesses corroborating what her DC reports, it's shameful.

My friend has written a few times and finally has gone to governors. Meanwhile the school are constantly getting in touch to talk things though (which usually means fob my friend off with meaningless promises they don't fulfil, such as monitoring more closely and speaking with the bully's parents etc.

What should my friend be insisting they put in place, on a practical level, to protect her poor defenceless new starter? I hate to hear he stories of what's happened next, it's appalling.

soapboxqueen Mon 15-May-17 19:56:16

There is no excuse for 10 and 11 year olds targeting a 4/5 year old child. In many schools they'd have a separate play areas or play times anyway so very little scope for interaction. If the school have failed so far to get the children to stop they need to either make sure the children never come into contact or have specific adult supervision at all times.

Tell your friend to get a copy of the bullying and complaints policy and follow each fully. The school need to explain any injuries as they are accountable for them during school time. She should also take photographs and keep a log. The school/bullies might also need reminding that at 10 and 11, your friend could go to the police.

AgentOprah Mon 15-May-17 19:59:48

11 year olds attacking 4 year olds - I think bullying actually makes this sound more trivial than it is. I would involve the police.

AStickInTime Mon 15-May-17 20:08:34

That's a really good point. I knew it was serious but didn't realise police could get involved at that age.

The attacks have been horrendous. I almost am in disbelief that the school can try to sweep it under the carpet like this. Don't they want to protect a tiny 4 year old? It's just beyond belief.

Athome77 Mon 15-May-17 20:15:58

My youngest goes to a primary- quite small less than 100 children, but they separate the kids at playtime.

AStickInTime Mon 15-May-17 20:18:02

This school they only separate in the winter, but during summer it's free play in the grass for all years. Think that policy needs to change!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now