Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted.

How do you buy houses when you both want something different?

(3 Posts)
Nunyabusiness Sat 13-May-17 10:25:44

Just been out to view two houses with DH.

One, on at £290k but is a probate house so needs redecorating throughout, a wall knocking down and a new kitchen and bathroom, as well as complete landscaping of the garden. It has the potential to be the most fabulous house, we could do a loft extension further down the line to add space. Reckon initial spend would need to be £20k ish to sort the kitchen and bathroom, but it would realistically be a money pit for years.

Two, on at £290k, smaller downstairs rooms but it has a kitchen diner (which the first house does not and we would put in if we bought the first one) and the upstairs bedrooms are bigger. Garden is good to go, decent patio for BBQ and a nice grassy bit for the kids to play on. Downside is that the bathroom is downstairs and is hideously poky, and there isn't really any way to fix it.

We each like a different house and I don't know how we move forward!!

I think the compromise would be to buy a house more in the region of £260k and do work to it, but there don't seem to be any suitable properties about at the moment.

JanetBrown2015 Sat 13-May-17 11:11:48

The probate one in particularly because the other has the downstairs bathroom. In fact my son who bought lst year rejected one house due to that and bought one on the same road which had a bathroom upstairs. I don't know why it mattered to us both so much because where you wash surely isn't an issue but it did.

HeddaGarbled Sun 14-May-17 11:41:52

Neither unless one of you would be happy with your partner's first choice. What is it each of you like or don't like about the houses? What are each of your essentials and what are you each prepared to compromise on?

I wouldn't want to have to do too much work with young children around but if you are both OK with that, that's up to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now