Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted.

Making the first step against anxiety

(10 Posts)
NoChange1 Fri 12-May-17 11:19:24

I suffer with anxiety, I haven't been diagnosed but I'm seriously struggling each day. I've lost my job due to poor performance. I'm pretty sure it's because every day I'm anxious, I think something is seriously wrong when there isn't. I get the worst upset tummy too.

I can't seem to differentiate between what's a real panic and what isn't, my body seems to go into fight or flight mode at silly things. I've suffered for years, but finally made the decision to go to the DR this PM. I know I'm going to get in the doctors office and clam up. I won't be able to explain how I'm feeling and make myself look like an idiot.

I'm considering cancelling but I'm so sick of this feeling day in and day out.

Please encourage me to go, I'm really talking myself out of it. sad

UnbornMortificado Fri 12-May-17 11:21:02

You need to go, anxiety is awful. Can you print out your post and take it with you?

NoChange1 Fri 12-May-17 11:35:39

I can't print it but I can make a list of bullets. I'm seriously struggling with it, I can't eat when it's bad as I feel so sick and if I force food down it comes straight back out! blush

I just want to be taken seriously. I'm worried I'll be fobbed off.

Foslady Fri 12-May-17 12:30:25

I worried my GP would fob me off.

He didn't.

He was brilliant - asked what I wanted, and when he saw I didn't know anymore and started to cry suggested a break from work to give time for me, counselling to help and a gym membership for 3 months.
Regular review so I could see how I was rebuilding meant I could see this for myself.

Definitely go OP - it is scary but well worth it.

UnbornMortificado Fri 12-May-17 16:34:51

Sorry OP I've been stuck in a meeting, have you been and got on ok?

Poudrenez Fri 12-May-17 16:52:20

I've been there too OP, it's so tough. I agree the bullet points are a good idea. Then you know you won't just clam up. I hope your GP was sympathetic (they usually are). I found that Sertraline worked very well for anxiety.

Foslady Sat 13-May-17 10:56:06

Hope you got there OP and hope it went well, was thinking about you and wishing the best

NoChange1 Sat 13-May-17 13:08:42

Thought I'd update you all flowers

I went to the doctors, after three years of meaning to make an appointment I did it! I've been prescribed some meds, I have a follow up appointment in three weeks to see how I'm doing.

I woke up for the first time without a horrible heavy feeling in my chest. I'm determined to get better!

Thank you for encouraging me to go! I definitely would have chickened out!!

Foslady Sat 13-May-17 13:27:24

That's fantastic - so, so pleased (and proud!) of you! It takes so much courage and you did it

Congratulations! flowers

UnbornMortificado Sat 13-May-17 13:44:56

That's brilliant NoChange the meds can be a bit hard going at first if you are on a typical AD (but everyone reacts differently) if you give them a couple of weeks to get in your system it's massively worth it.

I've always found in the past when I have had side effects the GP has been happy to prescribe short term prescriptions to see me through ie sickness tablets etc.

Well done for plucking up the courage to go flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now