Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted.

Sharing holiday costs

(7 Posts)
isntitapip Fri 12-May-17 07:37:38

Which is fairest? 2 families, always holiday together. First family is a single parent with 2 children. Second family is a couple with 2 children of similar ages. Shared taxi to the airport. All 3 adults work. Do they split the taxi equally per family (taxi would have been no less if there was 1 less adult) or should the larger family offer to pay more?

GolyHuacamole Fri 12-May-17 09:03:09

I'd split, and have in the past, per person.

BigSandyBalls2015 Fri 12-May-17 09:13:29

A taxi fare wouldn't bother me, as like you say it would be the same. But for meals out/drinks etc it would be fairer to be per head.

3luckystars Fri 12-May-17 09:20:46

Single parent pays for self and children, couple pay for themselves and children.
So there are 7 people, one adult pays for 3 and the other set of adults pay for 4.

That's fair.

(Not like Blockbusters where one whole person only had to get one extra honeycomb! That's not fair)

GoldenMalicious Fri 12-May-17 12:29:52

When we've holidayed with another family, we've always worked out a 'per head' split of all day to day costs, with an adjustment for children. I'm usually in charge of spreadsheets (being an accountant!) and figure out who's spent what, and what share of the overall cost they should have actually paid. So in our arrangement, this cost would effectively get split per person, with the child adjustment. In our sums, children counted as half a person, so in your set up, the total number of 'whole' people would be 5 (3 adults plus 4 kids at 0.5 each), with the two parent family picking up 3/5 of all costs.

isntitapip Sat 13-May-17 07:48:22

That's what I would suggest, if I was the bigger family. We always split in half, I wondered if I was being petty.

GolyHuacamole Sat 13-May-17 09:10:20

No, you're not being petty, it's the fairest thing to do. If the other family are unwilling then they're the ones taking the piss and being unfair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now